Digital Music Server

Z-Man

To what has been offered so far I would add and comment:

1. Yes, if you have a large CD collection, it is a huge time sink to rip all of them. But you only have to do it once.

2. Because of the time involved with ripping and the availability of huge, cheap hard drives, it is pointless to use a lossy file format (e.g. MP3).

3. If you take this step, back up your work. Then back it up again, so you have three copies. Update the backups periodically. Backup, backup, backup!

4. This is still a rapidly moving area of technology and options for file serving and playback. I can envision many different types of solutions that have not been offered yet, e.g. one box with bays for hot swappable hard drives, a built in modular DAC that can be upgraded or swapped with other ones (ala tube rolling) with a separate touch screen for selecting music, viewing album art, and controlling the media player. Oh and with a great remote as well.

5. I use open source for ripping (Exact Audio Copy), storing (FLAC) and playback (Foobar2000). I use a cheap used DAC and a cheap laptop to interface with my vintage audio gear.

6. Music playback from digital files is clearly the wave of the future, but I do agree that something is lost as we let go of physical media (CDs)...

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Been diligently ripping discs for a couple months now. Ripping to Apple lossless via dbpoweramp. Completed all non-jazz discs & am up to Marilyn Crispell in my jazz collection. 39,195 tracks & 852gb. Wife is right about cd collection being out of control.

• 2 weeks later...

A while back, I moved everything over to a Drobo setup

as a backup to the main set of drives. The Drobos are

hot-swappable and provide me with 16TB of storage.

It was a bit ornery with Time Machine, so SuperDuper

is the backup now. Squeezebox has some weirdness

that needs to be overcome, but I've always had

problems with Logitech products being difficult.

Still, I can wake up to Radio Schizoid and Erika Radio

and go to sleep with Sleepbot or Triad Radio

(whenever Saul has it running in "freeform" mode).

®ø∂

---

Now playing: The Bas Lexter Ensample - Do Right

I have ten Drobos with 68 TB total storage. I love them. They're a bit slow, but I've had a drive crash and popped a new one in and it rebuilt it perfectly. I just wish I could daisy chain more than four Drobos.

Edited by Bigshot

Been diligently ripping discs for a couple months now. Ripping to Apple lossless via dbpoweramp. Completed all non-jazz discs & am up to Marilyn Crispell in my jazz collection. 39,195 tracks & 852gb. Wife is right about cd collection being out of control.

I'm considering purchasing an automated ripping station for my 4,000+ cd collection. Most products are for professional use and cost well over $1000. The Acronova Nimbie NB11 pictured below is less than $500 and allows you to load up to 100 discs at a time. Most likely I would sell it on eBay or a computer/audio board after ripping my collection.

acronova_nimbie_usb_plus.png

I'm considering purchasing an automated ripping station for my 4,000+ cd collection. Most products are for professional use and cost well over $1000. The Acronova Nimbie NB11 pictured below is less than $500 and allows you to load up to 100 discs at a time. Most likely I would sell it on eBay or a computer/audio board after ripping my collection.

Very interesting. Curious - what other models did you compare this with?

I'm seeing Amazon reviews for some of the other Acronova

(great name BTW) products, but the NB 11 seems to have

received none (or I'm just not finding them there). Still,

considering the high price of many of the other machines,

this model could still be a winner. Think I'll check some

other review sites for comparisons...

®ø∂

---

Now playing: The Morgan Adams Quartet Plus Two - Funky Blue Note

Yes, I ran into the same trouble when looking for customer reviews. I've sent the company an email requesting help in finding customer and professional reviews.

Disappointing response to my inquiry:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your interest in our products. So far, there isn’t any review done on Nimbie by mainstream tech sites. Nimbie are reviewed mostly by customers and users based on their experience, perhaps you can check out some reviews below for your reference:

amazon.com/Acronova-NB21

musiciansfriend.com/Acronova Nimbie NB11

amazon.com/Acronova-Lightscribe-Duplicator-Publisher

If you have any question regarding to the Nimbie, feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Calvin Liu

Acronova Technology, Inc.

TEL: 732-422-1868

FAX: 732-698-7939

great idea but you really only need it once. I wonder if you can lease them?

great idea but you really only need it once. I wonder if you can lease them?

You're right, of course. I suppose that's why some/most people use professional services that perform this function. Still, it would cost me much more than $500 to have them do it, and I doubt they would do a satisfactory job with my obscure and out-of-print jazz titles.

Nimbie USB looks very interesting. I wonder about meta data though. Lots of times its crap. No artwork, wrong dates, occasionally wrong cd, or even wrong artist. dbpoweramp gives you alternatives so you can select the proper data. Also I often manually edit the meta data. Default is often release date rather than recording date. And I like to label alternate and bonus tracks (when I remember). Another issue in jazz recordings is that meta data will sometimes use different names for the same artist. For example Steve Lacy, Steve Lacy Trio, Stevie Lacy Five, Steve Lacy Octet, etc, etc. I edit to make them all Steve Lacy. If the Nimbie USB automatically selects the meta data occasionally you're going to get totally wrong stuff. Even doing it manually, I occasionally blow it. I've got 1 disc of abstract saxophones labeled as Shakra, which allmusic says is a Swiss hard rock band. I can't tell by ear what the recording is and trying to figure out the true artist will be a pain. I think by looking at date & time of rip and comparing to other discs ripped at that time I should be able to figure it out. In short, I suspect that while you can probably rip a lot of discs quickly, you may spend a lot of time editing meta data. Even so, if I wasn't 80% done ripping my collection I'd probably seriously look at Nimbie USB or some other automated solution. Hell, had I realized the enormity of this task going in, I might never have started! Even when I'm done ripping, I know there's meta data errors I'll need to correct. And I've got a hankering to deconstruct my Mosaic and other boxes into their component discs as originally released. Then I could listen to them as individual albums or as Mosaic boxes! That would be cool. Anyway, should get back to ripping. The meta data on Steve Lacy's Chirps is all messed up & needs editing.

Edited by Peter

• 1 month later...

Curious, did you ever make the plunge?

The use of the squeezebox is a nice possibility, but many that have gone this route have done upgrades to the squeezebox in the power supply (inexpensive) and to the digital or analog outputs (expensive). While I considred this, what I ended up doing was to wirelessly beam my music from my Mac laptop, and associated HDs, to an airport express and use an optical cable out of the airport express to my DAC ( I am using the Lavry although I considred the Benchmark). The information stream from the laptop to the DAC can be done bit perfect. This produces a very high quality source and is quite convenient. I have been happy with this rig and, because I already had the DAC and laptop, I only had to purchase the airport express and the optical cable. Works for me.

I'd like to beam an audio signal throughout my house, sort of my own radio station. I'm thinking of using an old Mac with an EHD holding my music library. iTunes on the Mac would beam the music signal. I could then hopefully use Airport Expresses and/or Apple TVs connected to stereos in different rooms. Is this doable? Would each receptor (Airport Express/Apple TV) need some sort of video screen? Will iTunes beam to multiple receptors (Airport Express/Apple TV), or will I need a software program like AirFoil? Ideally, I could use wi-fi iPods to receive the music signal, but I don't know if that's possible. Anyone have thoughts?

The use of the squeezebox is a nice possibility, but many that have gone this route have done upgrades to the squeezebox in the power supply (inexpensive) and to the digital or analog outputs (expensive). While I considred this, what I ended up doing was to wirelessly beam my music from my Mac laptop, and associated HDs, to an airport express and use an optical cable out of the airport express to my DAC ( I am using the Lavry although I considred the Benchmark). The information stream from the laptop to the DAC can be done bit perfect. This produces a very high quality source and is quite convenient. I have been happy with this rig and, because I already had the DAC and laptop, I only had to purchase the airport express and the optical cable. Works for me.

I'd like to beam an audio signal throughout my house, sort of my own radio station. I'm thinking of using an old Mac with an EHD holding my music library. iTunes on the Mac would beam the music signal. I could then hopefully use Airport Expresses and/or Apple TVs connected to stereos in different rooms. Is this doable? Would each receptor (Airport Express/Apple TV) need some sort of video screen? Will iTunes beam to multiple receptors (Airport Express/Apple TV), or will I need a software program like AirFoil? Ideally, I could use wi-fi iPods to receive the music signal, but I don't know if that's possible. Anyone have thoughts?

Fortunately it is much simpler than that!

old Mac + EHD, running iTunes, will work just fine as a digital source

purchase an Airport Express (AEX) for each room that you want to play music in

iTunes has a little piece of software that recognizes each AEX and so you will be able to beam to the AEX of your choose (or multiple AEXs simultaneously)

the AEX then needs to be connected to a power source which is of course connected to your speakers

as Deuterium mentions above, you can bypass the DAC in the AEX by using a digital cable to connect the AEX to a separate DAC, which then connects to the power source

this step is optional

I go this route for my two "serious" listening rooms but go straight from the AEX to the power source in my daughter's bedroom*

if you have one, you can then use your iPod, iPad or iPhone as a remote

there are plenty of audiophile enhancements that can be made (which I have not), but this will get you up and running and enjoying music

happy to explain further if you like

* in her room I have bypassed the separate power source as the AEX is connected to these powered speakers:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

If I rip to FLAC with PowerAMP, is that the same as creating an exact digital image of the disk with a copy utility? Is there a switch or setting in PowerAMP for that purpose? Thanks

that is my understanding, I went this route a couple years before I went Mac

iTunes has a little piece of software that recognizes each AEX and so you will be able to beam to the AEX of your choose (or multiple AEXs simultaneously)

the AEX then needs to be connected to a power source which is of course connected to your speakers

as Deuterium mentions above, you can bypass the DAC in the AEX by using a digital cable to connect the AEX to a separate DAC, which then connects to the power source

this step is optional

I go this route for my two "serious" listening rooms but go straight from the AEX to the power source in my daughter's bedroom*

there are plenty of audiophile enhancements that can be made (which I have not), but this will get you up and running and enjoying music

* in her room I have bypassed the separate power source as the AEX is connected to these powered speakers:

Thanks! This is really helpful. Will an Apple TV work instead of an AEX? An Apple TV is the same price as an AEX, so getting some of those may offer more possibilities in the long run.

iTunes has a little piece of software that recognizes each AEX and so you will be able to beam to the AEX of your choice (or multiple AEXs simultaneously)

this step is optional

Thanks! This is really helpful. Will an Apple TV work instead of an AEX? An Apple TV is the same price as an AEX, so getting some of those may offer more possibilities in the long run.

yes, it will - forgot to mention above - have this set-up in my basement :)

Edited by Eric

One other note... You can use your iphone or ipad or ipod touch to control your itunes library from anywhere in the house. You can turn speakers on and off, adjust volume and search up songs without touching your computer.

I see that, using the Remote app! Very cool. Weird that the one thing you can't do is actually have the iPod play the broadcasted feed, like the AppleTV or the AEX will.

Edited by mjzee