PlayStation 3

From an AOL story:

"Rodriguez had been waiting outside the New York Circuit City store since Sunday for the midnight launch event, and he was the first to walk away with the PS3 as people still standing in line outside the store cheered."

I can't even think of what it would take for me to hang outside of a store for an 3 full days? :huh:

I suppose that two first class Lufthansa tickets to Berlin and a two week comped stay at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski followed by a Swiss Air flight down to Lausanne and a week or two at the Hotel Beau-Rivage on Lake Geneva might be a start.....but? :crazy:

From some of the bidding wars on eBay, you could accomplish just that!

Never under-estimate the stupidity of the masses.

Agreed.

I'm a gamer, though not nearly as much as I used to be in my younger days. But I think $600 for a video game machine is insanity all by itself.

But then you have these leeches who buy the machine with the intention of selling it for monstrous profit? I'm not sure if they sicken me more or less than those willing to pay the outrageous prices.

There's a crowd of gamers camped out near the entrance to the Best Buy at Crossgates Mall here in Guilderland, NY. They've been living out of tents since Tuesday. When went to the mall the other day to buy a pair of jeans, I shouted (as I passed), "I hope it's worth it!"

Well, do you need a new pair of jeans? If so, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Especially when you get that first compliment. "Nice dungarees, teach!"

I own one pair of jeans, and they have a hole in the knee. So yes, it is worth it.

1 Shot in Conn. Playstation Waiting Line

Nov 17 8:31 AM US/Eastern

Two armed thugs tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.

The two confronted a "bunch of people who were in line" outside a Wal- Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patron's resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled, and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., police were investigating a drive-by shooting that hit four people with BB pellets outside a Best Buy store, causing minor injuries, according to WKYT, whose own reporter was hit as she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart _ its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

I bet that the guy who got shot's biggest regret is that he lost his place in line...

From what I have read, these are even in shorter supply than the XBox 360. Last year, I waited on line for that and of course didn't get it. I wasn't able to get it for my son until May or so of this year so this could be worse. Scarcity brings out the greed instinct.

I had also read that ebay had put rules on who could sell this and how often. This is one case where you have to applaud them.

1 Shot in Conn. Playstation Waiting Line

Nov 17 8:31 AM US/Eastern

Two armed thugs tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.

The two confronted a "bunch of people who were in line" outside a Wal- Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patron's resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled, and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., police were investigating a drive-by shooting that hit four people with BB pellets outside a Best Buy store, causing minor injuries, according to WKYT, whose own reporter was hit as she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart _ its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

I bet that the guy who got shot's biggest regret is that he lost his place in line...

Wouldn't doubt it. <_<

Man, some of the prices people are paying for these things.... FIVE FIGURES for this thing! Some of these are going for more than I paid for my car (a 1997 Nissan Altima).

It's a mentality I'll never understand. My wife has a theory that the people who are buying these things are doctors, lawyers, and other types who not only have more money than they know what to do with, but have kids with short attention spans and even shorter patience, and when they want something, they want it NOW, and not only that, their parents have the money to get it for them NOW.

Sad society we live in. :bad:

Edited by Big Al

Smash My PlayStation 3

The Plan

From the creators of SmashMyiPod.com, we bring you, SmashMyPs3.com!

We will be one of the first people to get our hands on a PlayStation 3. After we do, we will destroy it in front of all the PS3 fanboys moments after we buy it. This is only a social experiment, for the entertainment of the donors, and visitors of this site.

http://www.smashmyps3.com

Edited by Claude