PlayStation 3

:bad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061116/ap_on_.../playstation3_7

Nine months pregnant, Julie Mosley said she tried to ignore her contractions for the chance to score machines for her family, her daughter's father and her younger brother.

"I'm going to hold out as long as I can," Mosley said Thursday as she sat on a cooler in the 19th spot outside a Circuit City in Mount Laurel, N.J., joking about giving birth on the sidewalk.

There's a crowd of gamers camped out near the entrance to the Best Buy at Crossgates Mall here in Guilderland, NY. They've been living out of tents since Tuesday. When went to the mall the other day to buy a pair of jeans, I shouted (as I passed), "I hope it's worth it!"

Well, do you need a new pair of jeans? If so, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Especially when you get that first compliment. "Nice dungarees, teach!"

:bad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061116/ap_on_.../playstation3_7

Nine months pregnant, Julie Mosley said she tried to ignore her contractions for the chance to score machines for her family, her daughter's father and her younger brother.

"I'm going to hold out as long as I can," Mosley said Thursday as she sat on a cooler in the 19th spot outside a Circuit City in Mount Laurel, N.J., joking about giving birth on the sidewalk.

scary... but i know pretty well that my girlfriend constantly looked at a pile of jazz cds when she told me that story about a collegue from work who is addicted to buying dvds... i am not saying it's all the same ... just have about 15 dvds :) ...

On Ebay the $600 sets are going for $2000+! People have been lined up since Monday outside some Best Buys & a Sony store in midtown Manhattan. It's the 'Tickle me Elmo' of the video gamers.

That's the reason a friend of mine waited. She hopes to buy it, quickly put it on eBay, and make a profit to have Christmas money. There must be something to this: her son sold his "pre-order" ticket--just the pre-order ticket--for $4,300.00. I certainly can't fault the kid for making a killing, but I want to know who is so stupid and near-sighted that they can't wait (or make their kids wait) another couple of weeks to get this at regular price!

Jim nailed this one about the stupidity of the masses.

1 Shot in Conn. Playstation Waiting Line

Nov 17 8:31 AM US/Eastern

Two armed thugs tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.

The two confronted a "bunch of people who were in line" outside a Wal- Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patron's resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled, and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., police were investigating a drive-by shooting that hit four people with BB pellets outside a Best Buy store, causing minor injuries, according to WKYT, whose own reporter was hit as she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart _ its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

See what I mean? And there's 44 bids on this stupid thing!!!! :bad:

Holy cow! :o

What an incredible waste of money. You can buy a VERY nice vehicle with that kind of dough. Why waste it on a game machine that's NOT worth $500, and will likely be selling for about $250 in 3-4 months??

edit - when i typed that, the high bid was $35K. Now it's THROUGH THE ROOF!!! :blink::blink::blink:

There's no way anyone is paying THAT kind of money for that thing, is there????

Edited by Aggie87

Alright, I am now convinced that these are kids on their parents' computer just playing around, and they have no idea what they're doing. At least, I hope that's what it is, as the bidding is now over 50 MILLION!!!

And to think I was trying to justify paying $20 for a used Who's Next Deluxe Edition! ;)

That or somebody's hacking legitimate ebay accounts and bidding with them (?). Some of the bidders have pretty positive feedback scores.

edit - I bet the seller's freaking out. I wonder what the last legitimate bid is/was...

Edited by Aggie87

And guess what?

IT'S NOT EVEN FULLY BACKWARDS COMPATABLE!!!

We need to get my son Charlie (board name dional, although I call him Pete, in memory of the late Johnnie Taylor) in on this. The kid's a frakin' encyclopedia of all things gaming, past, present, & future. He has a preorder, was #6(?) on an EB list. But Sony's behind on production, so the very first shipment is about 50%(?) short of promised. The EB has to cut off at #4 for this launch release, but the store has been guaranteed him one from the second shipment, which is supposed to be before Christmas. We'll see.

You know what's wack? Sony's taking a bath on this system. Supposedly the PS2 didn't turn a profit until fairly recently. They sell them at a big loss (the DVD player in the PS3 is a $300 standalone item by itself). The money comes from software, controllers, memory cards, etc. So says Charlie/dional/Pete, and I'm sure he'll correct my factual errors if I've made any. He's good about that. :g

BTW - anybody get G4 on their cable? If you got an even halfway serious intrest in gaming, that station appears to be the shit.

That's why Sega got out of the console market. The hardware costs so much to manufacture that you have to make your money on accessories and games. Of course, despite the company's best efforts, in a year or two (or less) people will figure out how to copy the games, put them up on usenet, and there goes your money.

And you wonder why they charge $30 for a remote for the damn thing (at least, that's what the original Xbox remote cost. I have no idea what the PS3 remote costs, but I'd be surprised if they included one with the unit itself).

here's another for a PS3 email address.... 16 minutes left, and the bidding is already over $700 :huh:

what the heck's going on??

edit - winning bid for this email address was $1000.00.

Ok, curiousity has the better of me, and I've gone and listed a newly created email address for sale on ebay (1 day sale). We'll see how this works out. :P

From an AOL story:

"Rodriguez had been waiting outside the New York Circuit City store since Sunday for the midnight launch event, and he was the first to walk away with the PS3 as people still standing in line outside the store cheered."

I can't even think of what it would take for me to hang outside of a store for an 3 full days? :huh:

I suppose that two first class Lufthansa tickets to Berlin and a two week comped stay at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski followed by a Swiss Air flight down to Lausanne and a week or two at the Hotel Beau-Rivage on Lake Geneva might be a start.....but? :crazy:

p-beaurivagepalace11.jpg