CD Recorders, Anyone?

Hot Ptah

My CD player, which I used for 15 years, just gave out and died. I need to buy a new one. I am intrigued by the CD recorders on the market, such as Denon CDR-W1500, which allow you to record from any outside source onto a CD-R, without using a computer.

Has anyone tried either this Denon product, or one of the other CD recorders on the market? What do you think of them?

I have the same one and it works great. The dual drives allow you to edit if you need to (and I do, for live tapes to cdr).

Once you get by the technical instruction book, it's a breeze to operate.

When I transfer from LP and tape to CDR, the sound it exceptional, even enhanced.

CDR-W1500-large.jpg

Times have changed since this thread was started. Word is that HHB was bought by Sennheiser and the quality has plummeted.

I would stick with Denon or Tascam if I were to buy a CD burner right now. Tascam is a "professional" unit, meaning it doesn't have SCMS and can use PC blanks. That pushes it to the front of the pack. However, it is expensive.

Kevin

Times have changed since this thread was started. Word is that HHB was bought by Sennheiser and the quality has plummeted.

I would stick with Denon or Tascam if I were to buy a CD burner right now. Tascam is a "professional" unit, meaning it doesn't have SCMS and can use PC blanks. That pushes it to the front of the pack. However, it is expensive.

Kevin

Kevin, the Denon has a feature to defeat SCMS with a push of a button.

The Denon cost me about $750.

Kevin

Kevin, the Denon has a feature to defeat SCMS with a push of a button.

The Denon cost me about $750.

This item is selling for $599.00 on Amazon and several other sources. Would anyone care to comment on the quality of just the CD play function. If I needed a new, up-to-date CD player (my Harmon Kardon in more than 15 years old!), what type of CD player could I get for $600?

I'm thinking of getting a CD recorder (or having a few days in Paris to buy some African music!). I've got my eye on a Philips I've seen in Richer Sounds (cheapo hifi chain in UK) for £200. Dunno what model it is.

Anyone use Philips?

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

I know I had a Phillips, and while I got five years of use from it, it became increasingly "tempermental" and only certain brands of CDWR would work and eventually only the older ones of those would work. Also the finalization process became increasingly difficult and finally failed altogether. At that point I threw in the towel and bought an hbb (which so far is terrific).

I know several people who have had Phillips and I think their experiences were similar to mine. Most were worse.

Also, I briefly had a teac. I returned it to the store. The levels of the final cdr were exceedingly low.

Edited by Harold_Z

Tascam's CD-RW750 is one of the most affordable Tascams out there. It is discontinued so act now. They also offer a Hi Rez recorder, the DV-RA1000 that even records in DSD, the SACD format. Too bad it won't "make" an SACD out of this DSD recorded disc, but still, it has potential. :D

Denon & Tascam still seem like the best of the bunch right now. Too bad about the HHB. It was "the one" for quite a while.

Kevin

I know I had a Phillips, and while I got five years of use from it, it became increasingly "tempermental" and only certain brands of CDWR would work and eventually only the older ones of those would work. Also the finalization process became increasingly difficult and finally failed altogether. At that point I threw in the towel and bought an hbb (which so far is terrific).

I know several people who have had Phillips and I think their experiences were similar to mine. Most were worse.

Also, I briefly had a teac. I returned it to the store. The levels of the final cdr were exceedingly low.

Thanks for that Harold. I'll keep looking around.

MG

The CD-Recorder: A relict of the stone age.

Why do you say that? Or is it a goak?

MG

Max CD-R storage capacity 800 MB (= ridiculous), standalone recorders -> inflexible. A high quality sound card is a better investment.

Ah... So how do you get your LPs and K7s on it, if your room isn't designed so the hifi is anywhere near the computer? Is there a remote way of doing it?

MG

Ah... So how do you get your LPs and K7s on it, if your room isn't designed so the hifi is anywhere near the computer? Is there a remote way of doing it?

MG

Personally, I'd throw out the shelves that are reserved for the soon to be amassed CD-Rs (the music will be stored on harddisk instead) and use that space for the computer (assuming a PC/shelf to HiFi distance of ~40ft). I understand that not everyone can be pragmatic about this when room design or the roommate set certain limits.

Edited by rockefeller center

• 1 year later...

I don't imagine anyone else here is just arriving at this situation in late 2008, but....

Anyone familiar with the Teac CD-RW880? It's only $200. As an alternative, I'd get a USB Audio Input Interface from AltoEdge (for Mac) but my CD player is shot so I need a new one anyway. Got lots of reel to reels and cassettes to convert.

Thanks for any input.

I've had one of these for over 5 years and it's still going strong. I mainly use it to record off LP:

PDR-609lguse.jpg

It also allows you to do analogue recordings. Useful if you have discs with copy protection and want to move them or some of their tracks to places they don't want to go.

Might not be around any more but, in its time, was relatively inexpensive.

I have a Masterlink that records CDs in 24/96 - sounds great -

I'm very happy for you and your machine which costs four times the one I'm looking at.

Yeah, but it has a harddsik which allows you to store several hours of live recording or whatever - the TEAC allows to work only on one project in real time. If you have a pair of good stereo mics and a pr-amp you cab make excellent recordings - a friend of mine has one and its a great machine.

"I'm very happy for you and your machine which costs four times the one I'm looking at"

whoa now, no reason to get hostile - first of all you can find them used for half the price - second of all, as a professional musician you can store your whole life on this machine - also, get a nice condenser mike, hang it over your piano and produce recordings as good as any studio or better, at 24 96 - also, store 16 CD projects - this machine alone saved me about $500 in studio time on my last project -

buy it, or else -

Edited by AllenLowe

"I'm very happy for you and your machine which costs four times the one I'm looking at"

whoa now, no reason to get hostile - first of all you can find them used for half the price - second of all, as a professional musician you can store your whole life on this machine - also, get a nice condenser mike, hang it over your piano and produce recordings as good as any studio or better, at 24 96 - also, store 16 CD projects - this machine alone saved me about $500 in studio time on my last project -

buy it, or else -

Given all that the Masterlink can do, I'm sure it's worth the $$. I was just looking for an inexpensive way to get my aging reel-to-reels and cassettes to disc and replace my dead Adcom CD player simultaneously. I went ahead with the Teac. Just hope it lasts at least as long as the Adcom did.