Rolf & Joachim Kühn

Late

Just after it was released, Joachim Kühn defected to the West through Vienna and the Solarius album was taken off the shelves. At least that is how the story goes. The story also goes that the music is really good and inspired and the stories combined make this LP the holy grail of GDR jazz collectors. LP copies offered on eBay off and on are way beyond my budget so I was thrilled when I saw it mentioned in one of J.A.W.'s upcoming releases listings.

kuhn_rolf~~_solarius~_101b.jpg

Spinning the CD right now I must say that this stuff sticks to the story. This is fabulous music with very inspired playing. Joachim takes to sparse (on one tune even Tyneresque) compings with Bartkowski mirroring him in a not-too-busy and often simple drumbeat that is really backing the whole event without drowning it anywhere, leaving Koch on bass with much more room to fill under Rolf's self-propelling clarinet lines -- which he does admirably. Michal Urbaniak sits in on most tunes, playing soprano and tenor sax. His sound fits well with the group. I have always liked his horn playing more than his violin. Lots of magic happening between the players on these tunes. On the down side I wish Joachim could have left his hamster at home.

Anyhoo: a big :tup

This was my introduction to the Kühn brothers:

Reunion in Berlin : Rolf Kühn (cl) Joachim Kühn (p) Klaus Koch (b) Reinhard Schwartz (d)

East Berlin, June 3, 5 & 6, 1965

Mobile waltz CBS (G)S62407

Green stockings

Corruption

The mad man

Life from the moon

In late 1966 Horst Lippmann gave me a copy of this disc and this Manfred Schoof date as well:

-Voices- : Manfred Schoof (tp,flhrn) Gerd Dudek (ts,sop,cl) Alexander von Schlippenbach (p) Buschi Niebergall (b) Jacky Liebezeit (d)

Frankfurt/Mainz, May 2, 1966

Roots and collage CBS 62621, L+R (G)LR41025

Voices - , -

Tropi - , -

Mines : Theme - , -

Scale

Signal

D.H.

Interlude

Adjustment - , -

Rhythm change - , -

All very interesting stuff.

the second volume of the jazzanova compiled Forum West (More Forum West) might be a bit slanted towards Eastern Europe (i dont' have it), as was said here before, but the first one is definitley West German (nothing DDR/GDR, though).

i have it and it opened my appettite for German jazz of the sixties and it's very good. it's got Fritz Pauer, Hans Koller, Wolfgang Dauner and also the Kühns. and i think it's not even compiled by jazzanova, they just lent their name and label to the Hans Wewerka initiated project. the main compiler is that guy who does all the Universal Germany and Motor comps in Hamburg, and whose name i can't remember now.