Few Comments on the Andrew Hill Solo Live Select??

I'm afraid that I'm rather 'underwhelmed' with this particular set. Whilst I really enjoyed the music on my Artists House LP I've found that what was released on the single LP was probably enough for me. Many of the additional tracks in the set have a similar 'feel' about them and there is one particular refrain that seems to crop up in several of the tunes which I find irritating after several listens.

Being an Andrew Hill 'completist' I had to have the set but there are plenty of better recordings by him out there including several better solo sessions, especially 'Verona Rag' & 'Faces of Hope' on Soul Note

Well, I agree and disagree. Yes, there is a familiarity and a repeatig theme or two. But. . . I am really enjoyig this set. Have gone through it twice.

Oddly. . . I thik I like the standards a hair more. But, being an enjoyer of solo piano, and being in a mood lately to be soothed by spacing out listening to interesting solo piano, this set has been delivering.

:(:huh::huh:

Either not many of us have not purchased this set yet or are backed up in Mosaic queue but the lack of enthusiasm for this set is a little unnerving....

What gives? :unsure::unsure::w

The original LP has been easily and cheaply available since it went out of print. That means: folks have heard it and sold it on; that means: a lot of folks feel they have already had enough of this session and have passed on the set.

Interestingly enough, I'm enjoying the previously unreleased material more than the lp material!

Same here. There's a wealth of good music from these sessions, that I am surprised that the two chosen for lp release are not the best tunes. That's not saying they are bad; it's just that the other tunes are much more interesting, and lively. I am surprised at the freshness of the music and how different they are from his group albums from that time. Fun, relaxing, and intimate.

Edited by Stefan Wood

Well, I agree and disagree. Yes, there is a familiarity and a repeatig theme or two. But. . . I am really enjoyig this set. Have gone through it twice.

Oddly. . . I thik I like the standards a hair more. But, being an enjoyer of solo piano, and being in a mood lately to be soothed by spacing out listening to interesting solo piano, this set has been delivering.

I've had this set for over a month and I'm with Jazzbo. I too think it's very enjoyable solo piano music. I'd rather hear Andrew do it than many others out there. I didn't have any of this on vinyl. I only have the older bluenote stuff, so it was new material for me. May not be his best work, but I still listen to it alot.

• 1 year later...

Other thoughts on this set??

I'm probably going to order the Moncur soon (cuz it's now on the "Running Low" list) -- and have been meaning to pick up the Hill Solo Select for some time now.

I know, I know, it's Andrew, so of course I (of all people) need to get it. So I know going to get it one way or another, eventually -- just a matter time, and finances.

(I do have the original LP, and should dig it out for about 1/3rd of my answer right there.)