Sly & the Family Stone upcoming catalog upgrade

Big Al

Hard to explain what I hear in Small Talk, some of the lyrics are very dark, to say the least, and they offer a contrast to those moments when Sly is trying to convince himself that life is fine. Seems that Sly Stone had this picture of what life could offer him, and yet the reality of what was going on in his life was dragging him in a different, darker direction. To use a biblical image: Sly sees two paths ahead of him, he knows what road he should take, but something is driving him to the other path. It strikes me that there is more to Small Talk that just the farewell of Sly...

That was the point of the whole Sylvester Stewart/"Sly Stone" dichotomy - Sylvester Stewart (who got all the writing credits at least up to Fresh, after that, I don't remember) was the idealist, Sly Stone was his "in the life" alter-ego.. Eventually, Sly "killed" Sylvester & then went about the business of almost literally killing Sly.

If the liners for the box/reissues don't at least touch on this, they're not doing their job.

They do. Not much, but they do touch on it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a song by Bobby Powell called "Your Good Good Lovin'" which is based on the exact same riff as "Thank You For Talkin' To Me Africa." I love both jams, but it would definitely seem someone did a bit of stealing...

I hate to agree with Clem on anything but he's dead on here: Fresh, Riot and Greatest Hits are all you need. I heard lossless rips of the first three over the last couple of weeks just to refresh my memory (and make sure the remasters didn't change anything to revelatory), and they're OK at best, as Clem said. stick to Fresh and Riot for now, and wait until Greatest Hits gets spruced up, or if you can't wait, Stand! is also pretty good. but in general, Sly's body of work is pretty thin, although Fresh especially is fantastic and underappreciated. I still haven't summoned up the courage to check Small Talk, although it is in my iPod for when I do.

I hate to agree with Clem on anything but he's dead on here: Fresh, Riot and Greatest Hits are all you need. I heard lossless rips of the first three over the last couple of weeks just to refresh my memory (and make sure the remasters didn't change anything to revelatory), and they're OK at best, as Clem said. stick to Fresh and Riot for now, and wait until Greatest Hits gets spruced up, or if you can't wait, Stand! is also pretty good. but in general, Sly's body of work is pretty thin, although Fresh especially is fantastic and underappreciated. I still haven't summoned up the courage to check Small Talk, although it is in my iPod for when I do.

Those first three certainly aren't essential, but they are fun for the most part. If nothing else, snag DANCE TO THE MUSIC, as it lives up to its title in spades. :tup

Small Talk.... yer not missing anything, trust me on this one.

Those first three certainly aren't essential, but they are fun for the most part. If nothing else, snag DANCE TO THE MUSIC, as it lives up to its title in spades. :tup

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Small Talk, I happen to think it's a nice hidden gem of an album -- which seem to be the definite minority view on this cd.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Small Talk, I happen to think it's a nice hidden gem of an album -- which seem to be the definite minority view on this cd.

:tup:cool:

Took the receipt of my cancelled online order from Bestbuy.com to my local BB recently and asked for a price adjustment

from $49.99 to $9.99 on two sets (w/ the DVD) I bought (one for me, one as a gift) at a physical BB. After initially refusing, they eventually refunded $80 + tax back to my credit card after I grumbled a little. :D

Edited by trane_fanatic

Found a vinyl Riot yesterday for $4.50. A little warped, and a hellacious scratch that renders the first three minutes of "Africa Talks to You (The Asphalt Jungle)" completely unplayable.

BUT..... it has the lyric sheet! And the record jacket is this this thing called "Epic Undercover," edited by Mort Goode, and discussing (promoting) albums by Lenny Bruce, Malcolm X, Kris Kristofferson, Ray Stevens, Poco, Howard Wales & Jerry Garcia, Mahavishnu John McLaughlin, Cymarron, Shuggie Otis, and Billy Paul.

And the sound of the rest of the record..... yeah, I love the new CD, it sounds terrific and you should get it.... but the vinyl..... talk about being transported inside someone's mind. What a mindfuck! Not sure I wanna go there very often, but it's worth the trip every time.

Speaking of Shuggie Otis, I'm a big fan of "Inspiration Information." Hearing Sly's work from 1971-74 ("There's a Riot Going On," "Fresh" and "Small Talk") now reminds me a lot of Shuggie's 1974 album. Perhaps it's just a common sound: stripped down and funky. There's a kind of do it yourself quality to all of these recordings.

Speaking of Shuggie Otis, I'm a big fan of "Inspiration Information." Hearing Sly's work from 1971-74 ("There's a Riot Going On," "Fresh" and "Small Talk") now reminds me a lot of Shuggie's 1974 album. Perhaps it's just a common sound: stripped down and funky. There's a kind of do it yourself quality to all of these recordings.

Both records use early drum machines in the rhythm tracks.

Here's the band's lineup for NorthSea:

SLY & THE FAMILY STONE

Genre: Soul/Funk

Performance on North Sea Jazz:

> Sunday, July 15, 2007 | Nile | 21:00 - 22:15

Line-up:

Sly Stone (lead vocals, Synthesizer triton pro x, Hammond B3 organ); Vet Stone (vocals, percussion); Skylett Jett, Lisa Stone (vocals); Johnnie Bamont (tenor sax, baritone sax); Cynthia Robinson (trumpet); Mike Rinta (trombone); Joseph Yates (bass guitar); Anthoney Yates (guitar, keyboards); Tony Stead (keyboards); Stefon Dubose (drums).

About this act:

Wil je de cd kopen? Klik dan hier