Christmas dinner... lamb

I love eating lamb...the fluffier the better!

However if you are not so experienced at it it can be hard.

So my advice is buy a shoulder of lamb.Stick little holes in it with a knife (sharp) and insert slivers of garlic and rosemary leaves and then cook very slowly.....its to die for. If you cook that once you will never touch a turkey again.

On the subject of turket....hate the stuff always have. I remember the pressure when I visited the US back in 2000 and 2001 over thanksgiving. The customs people asked me if I was here for thanksgiving and I (rather ignorantly) said nope ....just here to see my sister. They said whatabout all the turkey etc....I made it clear I hated turkey and I was sure the special forces agents were after me the welcome mat was removed and I was under surveillance the whole time...very un american I understood very quickly

oops

anyway ...get the lamb in...my favourite sunday dish...with roast veg...potatoes,carrots,parsnip,beetroot,shallots,garlic....all roasted together.

sniff...in fact sat here in Lithuania on a visit I fell a little homesick now.

We get a lot of pressure to have turkey here in the uk...I always go for beef if we cook so we get it the next visit to the outlaws...barf!

I'd go for a nice dinner of couscous if I were considering lamb. Algerians and Morrocans make a wonderful lamb stew that is ladled on top of a bed of couscous (the whole dish is called couscous according to my Algerian friend, not just the grain).

Here's a version with squash vice lamb, but you get the idea:

Couscous.jpg

....I like lamb, but then I've always been a mutton for punishment.

the pied-noir dish is much the same, with the biggest difference being no raisins or dates in the stew.

The first time I walked into an Algerian Restaurant and saw that I did a double take.

The Moroccan version that Brownie showed is different as well, because the lamb is dry and you just dip it right into the cous cous. Mmmm, MMMMM, MMMMMM.

....I like lamb, but then I've always been a mutton for punishment.

Ewe ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Or at least feel somewhat sheepish...

Okay okay....I admit it, that was a pretty ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-d joke...

*****WARNING!.....PREMISE OVERLOAD!.....WARNING!......PREMISE OVERLOAD!*****

That's it, I'm gonna get the flock outta here.

Well, the roast lamb was a huge success! We had our butcher de-bone the leg and boy she was a big one! Over 9 lbs, to be exact. I used the recipe linked in my previous post (made a mixture of kosher salt, ground pepper, thyme, and rosemary and slathered the meat with that, plus poked holes here and there and shoved garlic cloves in them) but I decided to do a slow roast. 325 degrees for about 3 hours and it was almost perfect. It actually got a little too done for my taste because I was waiting for the turkey breasts to finish cooking in a counter-top roaster. The lamb took about 45 minutes less that I thought it would.

But it was still delicious and my family loved it. Everyone commented on how good it was and only one turkey breast was eaten. They were just small, 3 lbs breasts and we made two of them. The lamb was 2/3 gone, so I think it was a hit and we may have started a new tradition for Christmas.

I am exhausted, having been on my feet since about 9am preparing food and entertaining but it was a fun day. Zora got absolutely spoiled by her grandparents. I remember those days of not only getting presents from mom and dad but also from grandma and grandpa, before my grandpa retired from GM and they couldn't afford to buy us presents anymore (plus they have an incredibly large number of grandchildren by that time). She got to play with her cousins and eat way too many cookies and just had a ball. This is probably the best Christmas I can remember since being a kid and it is because it is such a joy to experience the holiday through Zora's eyes.

I hope everyone had an equally good Christmas! May 2007 be even better yet!

lamb.jpg

I heard somewhere that someday the lion will lie down with it.

(Not that I'm saying you should have a side dish of lion...)

Ah, this just tickled my funny bone really vigorously! Good one Bruce!

Glad the dinner was a SUCCESS!

We just had a simple but delicious dinner I threw together of ham, baked Yukon gold potatoes, and brocoli spears.

Now. . .what's for dessert? ;)

Edited by jazzbo