So How You Feelin' This Holiday Season?

When I was a kid, Christmas was a blast. I think it's important to keep it that way for anyone who has kids.

This year, with both parents gone and my marriage officially over with (as of about a week ago), the holiday has kind of an empty feel to it. I guess I need to move into the next chapter of my life and start a new tradition to fill up the emptiness. I'm trying to not feel sorry for myself (see signature below) and there are many who are much worse off than I, but I'm just trying to get through it this year, with hopes of returning to a more positive feeling about it next time around.

I still get sentimental from the usual stimuli, but it's more because my emotions are right at the surface.

So to those of you who have the spirit strong, I say RIGHT ON! :)

For those of you who may have the blues, I totally understand. :)

It's a weird time of year. It really exaggerates your emotional state, up or down. I hope to never experience it like this again. :unsure:

Hanging out here does cheer me up. How sad is that? :g

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing, Free. My feelings fluctuate between the highs and the lows this year. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to work out a plan with my ex that would enable me to take my kids and visit my side of the family while they were all together, but was just able to reach an agreement yesterday. So that's a positive - moreso for the kids and my mom, who will now get to see her grandkids all at the same time.

I'm still working on moving into the next phase of my life, and it's been 2.5 years since my marriage was officially over. Not sure how long it really takes, but I'm patient. Some things are looking up in some areas though, so that's good.

I agree with you that this place helps raise spirits. :D And I dig your signature! :tup

Sometimes I think the problem that many people encounter is that they think that they should feel differently than they do or that they should feel a certain way based on others expectations. If you get into the state of mind that you're "not making the grade" then it's easy to feel like you're out of sorts and like you have the holiday blues. We're not always going to reach those emotional highs but that doesn't necessarily mean the holidays are going to be a washout either.

I'm trying harder and harder to connect with my faith and the reason Christians celebrate Christmas. It puts everything else into perspective.

Edited by mikelz777

It wouldn't be an Xmas holiday if you didn't go down with a nasty dose of cold and the sneezes right at the start of it. ;) . That's what's happened to me again this year.

This bug-infested land strikes again !

Feeling significantly better this morning, the Mosaics and vinyl are back in action and I'm gearing up for my mini-vacation.

You know you are not feeling well when you are not interested in listening to much music.

Edited by sidewinder

It wouldn't be an Xmas holiday if you didn't go down with a nasty dose of cold and the sneezes right at the start of it. ;) . That's what's happened to me again this year.

Gosh, no kidding! My youngest had it on Mon and now the oldest daughter is suffering today. We're supposed to go to a matinee performance of the 'Nutcracker' at 2:00......better load her up with cold meds so that the ballerinas don't start glaring up at our seats full of hackers & wheezers. :g

Guess that means that I can expect to come down with it sometime around Christmas Eve. Time then to battle the 'bug' by busting out that Caol Ila 19 yr old Cooper's Choice Single Malt I've been saving. :excited:

I'll be heading to South Carolina to spend Christmas with my dad and his wife's family. It will be my first Christmas in a warm climate. I'm actually looking forward to it. Otherwise, its been a very nice holiday season. Normally, I get somewhat sad as I don't really have much family (I'm an only child) and my dad lives out of state. But I've been quite happy lately....been eating some good food, keeping the workload under control, spending more time with friends, seeing alot of movies, and listening to alot of music. For the rest of my life, every time I listen to Ray Charles' Atlantic stuff, I'll be thinking of Christmas 2006.

I hope everyone who is having hard times, or is just plain blue, that things pick up and that you end up enjoying the rest of the year.

Sal, I hope you have a very merry Christmas in SC! But, since it's supposed to be 48 and rainy here in Atlanta, I wouldn't pack a whole bunch of bermuda shirts! ^_^

When I was a kid, Christmas was a blast. I think it's important to keep it that way for anyone who has kids.

This year, with both parents gone and my marriage officially over with (as of about a week ago), the holiday has kind of an empty feel to it. I guess I need to move into the next chapter of my life and start a new tradition to fill up the emptiness. I'm trying to not feel sorry for myself (see signature below) and there are many who are much worse off than I, but I'm just trying to get through it this year, with hopes of returning to a more positive feeling about it next time around.

I still get sentimental from the usual stimuli, but it's more because my emotions are right at the surface.

So to those of you who have the spirit strong, I say RIGHT ON! :)

For those of you who may have the blues, I totally understand. :)

It's a weird time of year. It really exaggerates your emotional state, up or down. I hope to never experience it like this again. :unsure:

Hanging out here does cheer me up. How sad is that? :g

When I got officially divorced it was three weeks before Christmas and as an extra added bonus I was out of work and at the absolute bottom and I thought that I would permanently despise Christmas. One year later I was in my eighth month at another job and things were looking better holidaywise and in general. Considering what you're going through your'e doing better than I was at the time.Keep it up.

Just back from Badger's Christmas Curry, feeling full of the Christmas Spirit, and Cobra lager, and Lamb Monipuri. You know how you feel when you've eaten so much your back aches? Oh, it's great!

And........ I won a mini packet of corn flakes in the raffle!!!!!!

MG

MG congrats on winning the corn flakes.Winning the lottery pales by comprison!!!! :lol:

Just back from Badger's Christmas Curry, feeling full of the Christmas Spirit, and Cobra lager, and Lamb Monipuri. You know how you feel when you've eaten so much your back aches? Oh, it's great!

MG

MG congrats on winning the corn flakes.Winning the lottery pales by comprison!!!! :lol:

Dunno 'bout that. I'll let you know when my wife's number comes up :)

Feeling even better today; awaiting the postman with the last batch of the year!

MG

MG

Feeling even better today; awaiting the postman with the last batch of the year!

MG

Party on Bro!!!!! :lol::tup

MG

MG

You sound like the office party's done you a bit of good.

(First one I went to - I was 16 - I got very drunk and threw up everywhere. But I managed to kiss a very sexy married lady I'd lusted over.)

MG

MG

MG

You sound like the office party's done you a bit of good.

(First one I went to - I was 16 - I got very drunk and threw up everywhere. But I managed to kiss a very sexy married lady I'd lusted over.)

MG

We've had nearly similar experiences. Except in my case kissing the married lady would've been a fireable offense. :P