Junior Wells once pulled out a gun in Theresa's

John L

to save the neck of a certain Chuck Nessa. So tell the liner notes of a just released "Junior Wells Live at Theresa's 1975" on Delmark.

Is that right, Chuck? :)

How's that CD, John? The Otis Rush live performance they rescued from the archives was really good, so I'm wondering about this one.

Don't mess with Southside Chuck! Sounds like you were trouble back then. :g

Dan: I think that the new Junior Wells release is an excellent documentation of vintage blues in a Chicago club in good sound. The ambiance is great. The music is raw, but right. Good stuff.

Musically, I wouldn't say that it reaches the artistic heights of the recent Otis Rush (live at Wise Fools Pub) or Junior's earlier live recordings from Pepper's Lounge (available on "It's My Life"). But it doesn't need to. It is just authentic, highly satisfying, and unpretentious Chicago blues being played the right way on its home turf. As time goes by, the value of this record will only grow as a historical document (IMO).

the story I read was that there was a gun battle between Chuck Nessa and Larry Kart - seems they were fighting over the free peanuts at the bar - Larry likes 'em salted, Chuck prefers the candy-coated - so Larry questioned his manhood and that was that. In collector's circles it's know as the "Saturday night peanut fight."

Edited by AllenLowe

but not as bad as the nude wrestling match between Kart and Neil Tesser. Eventually John Litweiler and Art Lange joined in for the tag-team event, and it was not pretty. For years this was cited as a key moment in the seismic shift of Chicago jazz criticism, from its prior Dixieland worship to the new cult of Dick the Bruiser - (email me for pics)-

Edited by AllenLowe