Top Ten Non-Jazz Releases of 2006

Alexander

Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers)

GZA Liquid Swords

Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Ghostface Ironman

Throw Method Man's "Tical" and Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Return to the 36 Chambers" to this list, and you've got 6 of the greatest hip hop albums of all time.

Also, I also enjoy RZA's "Bobby Digital" CD, as well as Cappadona's "The Pillage", but I wouldn't say they're essential.

Anyways, as for my favorite non-jazz releases this year, I liked these quite a bit:

Bob Dylan - "Modern Times"

Paul Simon - "Surprise"

Neil Young - "Living With War"

Flaming Lips - "At War With the Mystics"

What have you heard about this year's Sparklehorse? I haven't heard much surprisingly. Did you know he is recording something with Danger Mouse? Should be interesting, if nothing else. He performed with Christian Fennesz, now he's working with Danger Mouse. He's everywhere.

there's going to be a Fennesz/Sparklehorse record next year, don't know any more than that.

Yeah, I always was too. Then I heard his music. It wasn't what I'd expected. The guys at the local shop seem to be big fans, so I grabbed a used album and it has grown on me. Plus, Droizd is all over it.

Fennesz and Linkous seem an unlikely combination, but the stuff I have heard works on some level. Vague enough?

What have you heard about this year's Sparklehorse? I haven't heard much surprisingly.

I've listened to it a couple of times this week, after recent purchase. Right now it just seems more of the same with the previous album, and the previous album has a few more interesting songs on it, so I wouldn't classify it as an essential purchse.

What have you heard about this year's Sparklehorse? I haven't heard much surprisingly.

I've listened to it a couple of times this week, after recent purchase. Right now it just seems more of the same with the previous album, and the previous album has a few more interesting songs on it, so I wouldn't classify it as an essential purchse.

OK, so I don't know that much about Linkous. I have IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. It is a solid album. The guy writes great songs. He is obviously interested in recording technique and tone. To me, though, there was no element of surprise to his music. None of it was overly interesting. It is a good, solid album that anyone could enjoy, but I don't understand the cult status.

Thanks for checking in Jon. Maybe Fennesz will help Linkous take his music to another level. The thing is, Linkous makes pop/rock music. The collaboration with Fennesz is as much of a puzzle to me as the collaboration with Danger Mouse.

Belle And Sebastian has a long line of good albums. I pull them out from time to time. I haven't heard the latest yet. I pick up their albums in the bins when I'm in the mood. Thanks for the recommendation.

Belle and Sebastian are great, Aberfeldy have quite a similar vibe and are well worth checking out

I really liked the Van Morrison, Rory Gallagher, and Suzanne Vega Montreux DVD's. CD-wise, Beth Orton 'Comfort of Strangers' and the continuing 'Instant Live' series of Allman Brothers concert CD's are the ones I can remember right now.

I completely forgot the Van! Yes, I thought it was a great album. Definitely belongs in the top twenty of the year's best...

Maybe not a "Top Ten" release -- but I've enjoyed the heck out of John Legend's "Once Again". There are some really good R&B-flavored jams on this record.

"Save Room", "P.D.A (We Just Don't Care)"... just try not to dance! :cool:

Sort to reminds me of Queen Latifah's The Dana Owens Album from a few years back. Nothing earth-shattering, just some really good tunes. Definitely some "retro" influences (I hear, for example, a little Jeff Buckley, Hendrix, Sade, The Spinners), but still very interesting.

A lot of the stuff I discovered in 2006 was actually from 2005, or I am just hearing advance tracks and the albums will hit in 2007.

Perhaps my favorite non-jazz album was Ali Farka Toure's Savane, closely followed by Toumani Diabate's Boulevard de l'Independance. I also liked Rachid Taha's Diwan 2 and Tartit's Abacabok.

I just picked up Echu Mingua by Angá Diaz, sparked by the cut "A Love Supreme" on the World Circuit Presents sampler. If the rest of the album is half as good, then I will be very happy indeed.

I liked about half of the Gnarls Barkley album; the other half - meh.

Personally I thought the Red Hot Chili Pepper's double CD was a big let-down.

I've almost completely stopped listening to rock/pop that is more recent than 1998, so I just am not following any of it. That's ok -- it means more money to spend on jazz CDs.