Bee Gees 1967-68 Box

Somewhat off topic, but if you're into the Bee Gees psych period this set is great. The first 3 albums in mono and stereo, along with a bonus disc for each album with singles, b-sides, alternate takes and mixes, etc. Only dissapointment is they didn't provide mono mixes for some of the singles, but that's life.

tho' none of their albums are stone killas (some claim Headquarters) like the Byrds.

Monkees enthusiasts I've known generally agree that "Pisces Aquarius" is their best and most solid album. Even the Davey songs are tolerable...Ya gotta hear it in mono though.

Back to the BGs: The stuff from their freakbeat/psych period is terrific, and if you only know the hits from this period (Massachusetts, Joke, Message, To Love Somebody, Words), you haven't heard the Bee Gees.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I've been eyeing this too. They were one of the first bands I found on my own as record buying kid around when Main Course came out. There were always these strange early Aussie lps getting mixed in the racks, both before and after their popularity took off. Outside of their hits I haven't heard their earliest material in a very long time and just in passing at that. Having something that hasn't been played to death from the '60s would be a treat. Thanks for the reminder and I'll stick it on my hunting list.

I've been eyeing this too. They were one of the first bands I found on my own as record buying kid around when Main Course came out. There were always these strange early Aussie lps getting mixed in the racks, both before and after their popularity took off. Outside of their hits I haven't heard their earliest material in a very long time and just in passing at that. Having something that hasn't been played to death from the '60s would be a treat. Thanks for the reminder and I'll stick it on my hunting list.

The Aussie stuff was reissued at the height of their disco popularity, with cover art suggesting it was by the cocaine 70s Bee Gees. The stuff on this box is right after the Aussie period and it's the best of their career, hands down.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if it ("the Aussie Stuff") sighted was one and the same as "the great stuff" as it was so long ago. One doesn't see very many Australian import LPs in the '70s in the smalltown midwest. (The nerve, they weren't in shrink wrap either! ;) ) Other than AC/DC a bit later. :lol: There were LPs (I think) before the disco period that I didn't see again once they sold, but I no longer know what they would have been. Odessa I remember seeing and picking up and putting it down repeatedly until the town's copy was sold to someone else. Probably had 6 LPs to my name 'round that time. (Sorry, can't help but sigh.)

Thanks. I should wait a few weeks as I went on a yourmusic binge, but I think the box will be fighting it out near the top of my hunting list, as I am intrigued.

Edited by Quincy

While we're on the Bee Gees & related, I must 'plump' for thee greatest lesser known folk/rock songwriter & singer '65-'75 & that is...

Gene Clark

Much as I love "Younger than Yesterday," the Byrds were NEVER better than when Gene was with them. The Preflyte stuff is essential. He was really shafted by those guys. If they didn't appreciate what they had, they didn't deserve to have him in the first place.

Have you ever heard his album with the Godsin Brothers in MONO?

Q, where in the midwest? Some places were weirdly good record towns-- like Peoria, for example (no lie) or Iowa City (less surprising).

I wear the town as a posting name (you can take the boy outta of...), it's in western Illinois. At 45,000 it's the biggest town in a 100 mile radius, as you have to go another 10 to 20 to get to Peoria, STL, and Springfield IL.

We had a store called Bob's Be-Bop Records which was really better than we deserved. They carried some imports ("these records aren't sealed"), and the owners were better fans than business people I imagine, as it went under by the time I was 14. They stocked the misc. Beatles things like colored vinyl and they had a copy of the mono White Album which sat in the racks for at least a year (it was marked in such a way that I knew it was the same. I picked it up often but seemed out of my price range based on my summer mowing money & allowance.) The UK punk/New Wave scene was just starting around the time the shop closed, but I still remember seeing the cover of My Aim Is True, which in a town where the radio station seemed to loop "Fly Like An Eagle," "Hotel California" and weirdly Helen Reddy hits that never died there it was a freakish sight to the eyes. Gave me something to ask my U.K. relatives about when I visited again later.

With a name like the store had you'd think they'd have had jazz. I think they may have had a small section, but not having jazz loving parents I don't think I strayed over to that section if they did. I was just too young & too small town at the time to fully appreciate what they were stocking outside of the mainstream, and 30 odd years the details are gone.

Other than an odd but not very good used place that popped up later run by an exiled rock promoter once I got a driver's license we'd drive down to St. Louis (actually University City) and hit Vintage Vinyl for boots and Streetside Records on Delmar Blvd. More fun than an amusement park! Never ventured up to Peoria as the roads from Quincy were slow & filled with potholes at the time, so it took longer compared to heading down Highway 61. Also just knew my way around STL a whole lot better, and we usually hit other places too. Regret not doing so, as I have heard that "what plays there" isn't as milquetoast as what the town gets accused of.

All that from an foggy old observation of seeing Aussie Bee Gees LPs in the racks!

Chewy-Chew-Chew here to say: i have every bee gees lp ever. although i much enjoy their disco hits, i espically enjoy their early lps which i wouldnt call "psych" in any way shape or form. id call them progressive rock before i called them psych. TRAFAGLAR- is that in your set? that album is bomb. and ODESSA. and the IDEA lp, and the 1st one, and all of them.

ooooooo YOU JUST REMINDED ME- i could swear i bought a few wks back a robin gibb solo lp from '83, ooo i gotta find where i put it!!!!!

...i espically enjoy their early lps which i wouldnt call "psych" in any way shape or form. id call them progressive rock before i called them psych...

I was using the term "psych" in a broad sense, but I think many of the tunes on the first 2 albums would fit many people's definition of (British) psych, including "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man," "Horizontal," Lemons Never Forget" and "The Earnest of Being George." Barry and Robin describe many of the tunes as "psychedelic" in the liner notes. I agree with you that "progressive" is an accurate description too, despite the baggage associated with that term.

And when will "Robin's Reign" be reissued?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys and Dolls: If you have any liking for 60's rock, you have to get this box set, it's wonderful and has the best sounding mono rock mastering I've ever heard. :tup:wub:

You aren't kidding! This has been a dee-light to listen to, and the extra discs play better as discs than most discs of extras do.

As these are being released individually on the 23rd, at the very least check out Bee Gees' 1st. Though I'm very happy with the box of the 1st 3. I hope they continue on with Odessa & Cucumber Castle.

...That might not matter to everyone, but I personally love the mono mix of the first album in particular, it's much more punchy and sounds quite different than the stereo mix.

Agreed. The first album is significantly better in mono. Having the mono mix is less important for "Horizontal" or "Idea," and I like 60s pop/rock better in mono 99% of the time. Still, I love the longer fade on the mono version of "World," even though it falls apart at the end!

It's important to note that while the first three albums are being released individually on the 23rd, those individual releases will NOT include the mono mixes that are found in the limited edition box set.

That might not matter to everyone, but I personally love the mono mix of the first album in particular, it's much more punchy and sounds quite different than the stereo mix.

FYI....

OUCH. Thanks for pointing that out, as I assumed they'd just free the double disc digipacs from the slipcase. All the more reason to get the box! I still haven't listened to the stereo versions of Horizontal & Idea yet. The mono of 1st really is fantastic!

As these are being released individually on the 23rd, at the very least check out Bee Gees' 1st. Though I'm very happy with the box of the 1st 3. I hope they continue on with Odessa & Cucumber Castle.

It's important to note that while the first three albums are being released individually on the 23rd, those individual releases will NOT include the mono mixes that are found in the limited edition box set.

That might not matter to everyone, but I personally love the mono mix of the first album in particular, it's much more punchy and sounds quite different than the stereo mix.

FYI....

Edited by Matthew