New here... is there a "Blue Note Rare Grooves Series" threa

JohnBlutarski

Hadn't seen the earlier threads.

Although Aric was right that BN has abandoned the Rare Groove series, they've still reissued "Think" and "Turning point" and issued, at long last, GG's Club Mozambique gig. In addition, Water has put out "Say it loud", "A groovy situation" and "Brown sugar". So, little by little, stuff is getting out.

Yes, I want "Visions" and "Shades of Green" to come out. Also "Black pearl" - that might have additional unreleased tracks, or could be combined with "Chicken fried soul", by Junior Parker and McGriff, which I reckon was from the same gig. Possibly, however, Sonny Lester owns the masters, and we all know what THAT means.

Another possibility is to reissue some PJ funk. My vote would go to Billy Larkin & the Delegates albums - preferably all of them :D

But, rather than BN, should we switch our attention to Water and does anyone on the board have any "in" with that company?

MG

hello everybody, new here...

just searching, can't find it, yet...

so is there a "Blue Note Rare Grooves Series" threat yet?

JB

<_<<_<<_<

Only if you believe "W" ! :blink:<_<

Welcome

Take your choice!

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...te=rare+grooves

thanks felser, I certainly will look into it!

JB

hello everybody, new here...

just searching, can't find it, yet...

so is there a "Blue Note Rare Grooves Series" threat yet?

JB

<_<<_<<_<

Only if you believe "W" ! :blink:<_<

Welcome

Take your choice!

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...te=rare+grooves

oops...

then link is dead now...

maybe something wrong with the forum?

try again, tomorrow...

:)

• 2 months later...

I have a question for the rare groove experts, here on the forum,

I'm having a discussion with a seller on amazon, who says "Pretty Things", by Lou Donaldson was never part of this series. Does anybody of you guys have actually this one? (cause it's on the list that circulates here)

JB

I have a question for the rare groove experts, here on the forum,

I'm having a discussion with a seller on amazon, who says "Pretty Things", by Lou Donaldson was never part of this series. Does anybody of you guys have actually this one? (cause it's on the list that circulates here)

JB

I've got one - though it's a Dutch version. It LOOKS like a Rare Grooves item - similar style design on back and inside - but it doesn't actuallt SAY "Rare Grooves" anywhere.

MG

I've got one - though it's a Dutch version. It LOOKS like a Rare Grooves item - similar style design on back and inside - but it doesn't actuallt SAY "Rare Grooves" anywhere.

Me too. I have the LP version, made in UK (it did not have a Rare Groove sticker, anyway). If I remember well, it came out together with Duke Pearson's "How Insensitive", a Candido Blue note LP (the one with the Richie Havens piece) and a couple of other BN titles. All made in UK.

luca

Me too. I have the LP version, made in UK (it did not have a Rare Groove sticker, anyway). If I remember well, it came out together with Duke Pearson's "How Insensitive", a Candido Blue note LP (the one with the Richie Havens piece) and a couple of other BN titles. All made in UK.

luca

thanks MG and Luca,

it's maybe to early, but the the conclusion could be that it isn't a "rare groove series"after all...

(untill proven otherwise, of course. if 1 member of this forum has one, it all turns around again)

just like the "midnight creeper"? which of course qualifies as a "rare groove series" musically but strickly speaking isn't part of it, and was released 24 bits remastered, out side of the rare groove, or any other series...

JB

Edited by JohnBlutarski

luca

thanks MG and Luca,

it's maybe to early, but the the conclusion could be that it isn't a "rare groove series"after all...

(untill proven otherwise, of course. if 1 member of this forum has one, it all turns around again)

just like the "midnight creeper"? which of course qualifies as a "rare groove series" musically but strickly speaking isn't part of it, and was released remastered, out side of the rare groove, or any other series...

JB

I hope what I'm writing still makes sense...

:):):):P:P

luca

thanks MG and Luca,

just like the "midnight creeper"? which of course qualifies as a "rare groove series" musically but strickly speaking isn't part of it, and was released remastered, out side of the rare groove, or any other series...

JB

I hope what I'm writing still makes sense...

:):):):P:P

I think I may have confused myself. Following up what you said about "Midnight creeper", I had a look at that, and also some definite Rare Grooves, which say so in the spine.

"Pretty things" doesn't look like the Rare Grooves. It looks like two other CDs that came out here at, I guess, the same time (they all say 1993) Patton's "Let 'em roll" and GG's "Alive" (the straight reissue with no bonus tracks). These - oh, I see they have consecutive numbers 89793/4/5 - were all made in Holland. They all have a coloured strip about 3/4" deep across the top on the back, with a little picture of the front cover in it. There is no remastering info included in the insert. And I have a sneaking suspicion that these issues didn't come out in America.

MG

I have those and no they were Eu issues. I remember at the time I had to return 2 copies of the BJP and 1 of the the Duke Pearson as they used to skip.

Come to think of it after I had a look yesterday I can find my copy of Lou's Every thing I play's gonna be funky !!

Who has hidden it then? :angry:

Where could it be :mellow:

Help :unsure:

It might be lost :(

Edited by andybleaden

I have those and no they were Eu issues. I remember at the time I had to return 2 copies of the BJP and 1 of the the Duke Pearson as they used to skip.

Come to think of it after I had a look yesterday I can find my copy of Lou's Every thing I play's gonna be funky !!

Who has hidden it then? :angry:

Where could it be :mellow:

Help :unsure:

It might be lost :(

I haven't got it, Andy - I'm still on vinyl for that one.

MG

It's from 1993. Did the Rare Groove series at all exist in 1993 yet? It certainly looks different from regular Blue Note reissues. It may very well be that those early releases were part of a new series intended for groove-oriented material, but the actual name "Rare Groove Series" hadn't been invented yet. That way they could be seen as part of the same series. It' just that the series only got a specific name after awhile.

It's from 1993. Did the Rare Groove series at all exist in 1993 yet? It certainly looks different from regular Blue Note reissues. It may very well be that those early releases were part of a new series intended for groove-oriented material, but the actual name "Rare Groove Series" hadn't been invented yet. That way they could be seen as part of the same series. It' just that the series only got a specific name after awhile.

Just as the Fantasy "Legends of Acid Jazz" series was simply a new name for the series of Soul Jazz twofers that Fantasy had been putting out since the year dot; and the series continued after the name wore out its welcome (and the execrable sleeve design, too).

MG

my catalog is from 1997,and it has 38 '''rare groove" releases in it. i would guess that it was the rare groove series from day one. some of the releases only had a rare groove sticker on the outside of the wrapper, so once you discarded it, you had no way to tell what series it was from.

Edited by mike casinghino

my catalog is from 1997,and it has 38 '''rare groove" releases in it. i would guess that it was the rare groove series from day one. some of the releases only had a rare groove sticker on the outside of the wrapper, so once you discarded it, you had no way to tell what the hell series it was from.

Hah, yes - once upon a time you could tell from the catalogue number series what something was part of. And number series tended to BE series (even if a few numbers were missing). Blue Note/Capitol/EMI numbers almost all seem to be random.

MG

my catalog is from 1997,and it has 38 '''rare groove" releases in it. i would guess that it was the rare groove series from day one. some of the releases only had a rare groove sticker on the outside of the wrapper, so once you discarded it, you had no way to tell what series it was from.

so your catalogue is from 1997, and the earliest rare groove I have is from 1994/95,

that is lou Donaldson's "The Scorpion". (On The CD it says 1994, on the back, it says 1995)

Others that I have from 1995/195 (CD/Back), are "Kofi", Boogaloo" and "Everything I play is funky".

They all have the "rare grooves" spine, but the strange thing about it is that the last one("funky"), doesn't say "rare grooves series" on the backcover of the jewelcase, and also doens't say "rare groove series" on the cd itself. This instead of the other 3.

BTW, the same thing happens to ALL of the last 2 batchtes (5 in 2002, and 4 in 2003)...

so the ones only with a sticker also don't have "rare grooves" on the cd itself?

sorry if I keep babbling about this, but I'm tremendously intriged by this..

(since I started collecting 6 months ago, now have 30 "spined rare grooves")

JB

Edited by JohnBlutarski