New here... is there a "Blue Note Rare Grooves Series" threa

JohnBlutarski

Series titles don't mean shit to us. They are only marketing "ploys" to convince the corporate guys the label is trying something "new".

of course.

but I must admit that it sometimes works for me:

if, for example, by coincidence I already own 5 out of a series of 7, I tend to buy those other 2.

I know it's a marketing trick, but sometimes I'm a sucker, I know

I've got one - though it's a Dutch version. It LOOKS like a Rare Grooves item - similar style design on back and inside - but it doesn't actuallt SAY "Rare Grooves" anywhere.

Me too. I have the LP version, made in UK (it did not have a Rare Groove sticker, anyway). If I remember well, it came out together with Duke Pearson's "How Insensitive", a Candido Blue note LP (the one with the Richie Havens piece) and a couple of other BN titles. All made in UK.

luca

thanks MG and Luca,

it's maybe to early, but the the conclusion could be that it isn't a "rare groove series"after all...

(untill proven otherwise, of course. if 1 member of this forum has one, it all turns around again)

just like the "midnight creeper"? which of course qualifies as a "rare groove series" musically but strickly speaking isn't part of it, and was released remastered, out side of the rare groove, or any other series...

JB

I hope what I'm writing still makes sense...

:):):):P:P

I think I may have confused myself. Following up what you said about "Midnight creeper", I had a look at that, and also some definite Rare Grooves, which say so in the spine.

"Pretty things" doesn't look like the Rare Grooves. It looks like two other CDs that came out here at, I guess, the same time (they all say 1993) Patton's "Let 'em roll" and GG's "Alive" (the straight reissue with no bonus tracks). These - oh, I see they have consecutive numbers 89793/4/5 - were all made in Holland. They all have a coloured strip about 3/4" deep across the top on the back, with a little picture of the front cover in it. There is no remastering info included in the insert. And I have a sneaking suspicion that these issues didn't come out in America.

MG

I cannot check my "Let It Roll", 'cause I used it as a last minute present for a friend last week, but I remember the little pic of the front cover, and that it's from 1993. have to get a new one soon.

(and btw, my friend liked it a lot!!! :):))

JB

Series titles don't mean shit to us. They are only marketing "ploys" to convince the corporate guys the label is trying something "new".

of course.

but I must admit that it sometimes works for me:

if, for example, by coincidence I already own 5 out of a series of 7, I tend to buy those other 2.

I know it's a marketing trick, but sometimes I'm a sucker, I know

Me too. Too much comic book collecting ruined me...

Yes indeed. The three series - Rare Grooves; Legends of Acid Jazz; and Roots of Acid Jazz - happened because suddenly a large bunch of young people started looking for the stuff. If a large bunch of kids started looking for your stuff, Chuck, wouldn't you try to indicate to them in some way at least a bit of the range?

MG

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Holland 1993 CD Pressing and that is NOT a Rare Groove. However it could ofcourse been issued as a Rare Groove later and somewhere else...

/Shaft

do you mean "Let It Roll"? all I see around here is the is the 1993 version, in stores and on the net. (if I don't count the japanese version)

JB