BFT #44 CD-2

Durium

1 Really catchy – I can’t listen to this without smiling or even chuckling – I haven’t tried singing along yet, will have to get all the words first. The guy going on with his “hahaha’s” against all the odds! And the “shhhhh’s”! Count in seems to be French to my untutored ear. What a good start.

2 Not up on this era, don’t listen as a rule but sounds good nonetheless. Django-like guitar? I wouldn’t know.

3 “Sweet Sue”. Could be Grappelli maybe.

4 “Running Wild”. No clue.

5 “Day Dream” – I particularly like the trombonist playing without vibrato and keeping the tune quite straight. Really attractive playing throughout. Absolutely no guesses however but I will be especially intrigued to find out who they are.

6 Another good one. No idea of the tune. Trumpet sounds a little like Art Farmer but don’t think it is. Alto I can’t place either

7 I’ll walk away – not into vocals (or organs incidentally!). Nice tune though.

8 Unfamiliar again – Roger Guerin? Just a wild guess. Sounds good.

9 “I’ll Remember April” – always liked this tune since [Mr Jackson’s Message], an EP I had so many years ago. Enjoyed this but clueless.

10 Tacit.

11 Not a familiar tune and neither can I guess any of the players. Trumpet or flugel, sounds a little familiar.

12 Don’t know anything still but I somehow thought of Paolo Fresu.

13 Well, that sounds like Zoot. Don’t think I’ve heard this before.

14 “I’ll See You Again”? Is it a harp? Cute!

Highly entertaining disc, Hans – good job. Thanks. Sorry I couldn’t contribute much. Awaiting the big guns now.

1. “Kansas City Kitty” Here’s a modern revival band (French, I assume) attempting to recreate the sound of “hot dance” bands like Jean Goldkette, et al. A spirited brass section. Why are the breakdowns included? How drunk are they?

2. Interesting – guitar with footstomps. I like this, but really haven’t got a clue who it is.

3. “Sweet Sue – Just You” . My first thought is Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli, but I’m not hearing any of the Django characteristics, so maybe it’s Oscar Aleman? Alix Combelle on tenor?

4. “Runnin’ Wild” A skillful swing violinist. Judging from the sound, this is a relatively recent recording. Is this what they call “gypsy jazz”?

5. Billy Strayhorn’s “Day Dream”. Absolutely lovely, my favorite track on this disc. The trombonist reminds me of J.J. Johnson – the warm vibrato-less tone, clean articulation. Joe Pass on guitar? Five stars!

6. A very pretty bossa nova. What’s the tune – “Once I Loved”? Bud Shank & Chet Baker, perhaps.

7. This is an old Gerry Mulligan tune from the early 50’s, can’t recall the title. No clue who’s playing this. I like the bari, the vocalist (or perhaps everyone) is probably European.

8. Here we have a hotter, more boppish bossa nova with a good piano intro. The trumpet in places reminds me of Art Farmer, but I don’t think it’s him. Also like the alto. A nice track.

9. It’ll take me until April to remember who’s playing here. I think this may be Stephane Grappelli, probably recorded in the 70’s. Kenny Drew on piano?

10. Do I detect a bit of an accent in the vocalist? Things get better once the singer stops. No idea who this is.

11. More bossa nova! Now this may actually be Art Farmer, playing flugelhorn, or is that a flumpet?

12. This disc is certainly giving us a selection of soft-toned trumpeters! Can’t think of anything to say about this.

13. This has to be Zoot, overdubbed! I thought I had every Zoot record, but can’t place this. Sweet!!

14. “I’ll See You Again”. Somebody take that ukelele and smash it! Actually, I like the tune, always have, but this version is just a little too cute.

Another mixed bag, with a couple of real gems here. Thanks!

Some commends to the suggestions Tooter gave to my second CD.

1 Really catchy – I can’t listen to this without smiling or even chuckling – I haven’t tried singing along yet, will have to get all the words first. The guy going on with his “hahaha’s” against all the odds! And the “shhhhh’s”! Count in seems to be French to my untutored ear. What a good start.

I like this track too - it gives an idea about the pleasure the members of this orchestra have playing hot jazz. They sing in English ( really !) but they are French indeed.

2 Not up on this era, don’t listen as a rule but sounds good nonetheless. Django-like guitar? I wouldn’t know.

Not a Django imitator.

3 “Sweet Sue”. Could be Grappelli maybe.

No

4 “Running Wild”. No clue.

You're right with title: Runnin' Wild

5 “Day Dream” – I particularly like the trombonist playing without vibrato and keeping the tune quite straight. Really attractive playing throughout. Absolutely no guesses however but I will be especially intrigued to find out who they are.

I'm not going to help you at this moment. BTW: Day Dream is correct.

6 Another good one. No idea of the tune. Trumpet sounds a little like Art Farmer but don’t think it is. Alto I can’t place either

You're right - it is not Art Farmer.

8 Unfamiliar again – Roger Guerin? Just a wild guess. Sounds good.

You're right again - it's not Robert Guerin.

9 “I’ll Remember April” – always liked this tune since [Mr Jackson’s Message], an EP I had so many years ago. Enjoyed this but clueless.

It's I'll Remember April.

12 Don’t know anything still but I somehow thought of Paolo Fresu.

No, it's not Paolo Fresu.

13 Well, that sounds like Zoot. Don’t think I’ve heard this before.

It is Zoot, but can you give me more details?

14 “I’ll See You Again”? Is it a harp? Cute!

You're right with the title. I'll See you Again, although the track list of the CD writes it in a different way. Maybe it helps you to find the members of the group.

Highly entertaining disc, Hans – good job. Thanks. Sorry I couldn’t contribute much. Awaiting the big guns now.

Edited by Durium

Thanks Stereojack for your commends to the second CD.

Here we go.

1. “Kansas City Kitty” Here’s a modern revival band (French, I assume) attempting to recreate the sound of “hot dance” bands like Jean Goldkette, et al. A spirited brass section. Why are the breakdowns included? How drunk are they?

You're right about the title Kansas City Kitty and it is a French revival band. The selection I made are from a live performance and I 'm not sure if the drunk wine or beer ( or just apple juice)

2. Interesting – guitar with footstomps. I like this, but really haven’t got a clue who it is.

You're right about the footstomps. This was a rather significant habit of this guitar player.

3. “Sweet Sue – Just You” . My first thought is Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli, but I’m not hearing any of the Django characteristics, so maybe it’s Oscar Aleman? Alix Combelle on tenor?

Chapeau. It's Oscar Aleman on guitar( and Sweet Sue) Any idea when this recording was made and who the other members of the band are?

4. “Runnin’ Wild” A skillful swing violinist. Judging from the sound, this is a relatively recent recording. Is this what they call “gypsy jazz”?

No , I wouldn't call this Gypsy Jazz. You're right in your conclussion that this is a relatively recent recording.

5. Billy Strayhorn’s “Day Dream”. Absolutely lovely, my favorite track on this disc. The trombonist reminds me of J.J. Johnson – the warm vibrato-less tone, clean articulation. Joe Pass on guitar? Five stars!

It is Daydream. You're right, but none of the other musicians

6. A very pretty bossa nova. What’s the tune – “Once I Loved”? Bud Shank & Chet Baker, perhaps.

No.

7. This is an old Gerry Mulligan tune from the early 50’s, can’t recall the title. No clue who’s playing this. I like the bari, the vocalist (or perhaps everyone) is probably European.

You're suggestions are right, but what's the title of the tune and who are the participants.

8. Here we have a hotter, more boppish bossa nova with a good piano intro. The trumpet in places reminds me of Art Farmer, but I don’t think it’s him. Also like the alto. A nice track.

It's not Art Farmer.

9. It’ll take me until April to remember who’s playing here. I think this may be Stephane Grappelli, probably recorded in the 70’s. Kenny Drew on piano?

It's correct that you might remember the title in April. The other suggestions are not correct.

10. Do I detect a bit of an accent in the vocalist? Things get better once the singer stops. No idea who this is.

The singer might have an accent. You're correct - you should have one too if you spoke her language :lol: .

11. More bossa nova! Now this may actually be Art Farmer, playing flugelhorn, or is that a flumpet?

No Farmer

13. This has to be Zoot, overdubbed! I thought I had every Zoot record, but can’t place this. Sweet!!

It is Zoot, Tooter suggested that too, but it isn't overdubbed.

14. “I’ll See You Again”. Somebody take that ukelele and smash it! Actually, I like the tune, always have, but this version is just a little too cute.

It is I'll See You Again. And the ukelele is correct too.

Another mixed bag, with a couple of real gems here. Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestions. i'm anxious to see your reply.

Keep swinging

Durium

BFT44 b

1 A French or Belgian band, attempting to play something in a twenties/thirties style, and making a big joke of it. Clearly, the guys are having fun; much fun. Funny thing, when they do eventually get it down, they seem rather too modern.

2 Sounds like two guitarists accompanying themselves by patting their feet on a board. Is one of the guitarists playing a ukulele? The tune is very familiar, but I can’t place it. One of the guitarists sings along. Oh, this is really nice.

3 This sounds like genuine thirties stuff: “Sweet Sue” is the tune. I’ve never heard any of their material, but I’m going to guess that this is the Quintet of the Hot Club of France. If it isn’t, well, it sounds like it ought to be. God, it’s good, too!

4 “Running wild” played by violin and rhythm. Sounds like Stephane Grappelli, who used to appear on British TV quite frequently a few decades ago. Don’t know who the guitarist is. And is this followed by a pizzicato solo by the violinist? Wow! This band is so together, as well; what a delight! I thought the sound was a bit funny – so it’s live. Wish I had been there.

5 Duke Ellington’s “Daydream” by trombone & rhythm. I get a Kai Winding feeling about this, though I know not why – I’ve heard hardly any of his music. I love the guitarist’s accompaniment. He strikes me as being one of those really well known West Coast guitarists like Barney Kessel, whose work I’m generally unfamiliar with. Very nice; not quite up my street, but very nice, all the same.

6 Nice, relaxing Bossa Nova by trumpet & alto & rhythm. This would be a lovely number to stand on the dance floor and sway to gently, while holding your lady very close – for eight minutes of heaven!

Oh, and the guys are playing, too! Well, the guitarist seemed to lose it, just at the end of his solo and the alto player hurried to the rescue. Fine.

7 Baritone and lady singist – very nice. No, is that a bass sax? Wow, those bottoms are REALLY bottoms! No, I think it’s a baritone. And a really quite preachin’ baritone player, too. Oh, this is lurvely! One I think I want to buy.

8 Fast Bossa Nova with piano, trumpet, alto. Very nice stuff indeed! Lotsa drums – could the leader be a drummer, by chance?

9 “I’ll remember April” by violin and rhythm. This also sounds like Stephane! The guitarist reminds me a bit of Les Paul’s playing on the first JATP gig. More very charming stuff.

10 A great song I’ve never heard before! A lovely singer. And a very nice Django-style guitarist. Pooh gosh! Wonderful! I think I need to find out who this is.

11 Another Bossa Nova. Very interesting and groovy bass solo. Nice flug & piano solos. Yes, very nice.

12 Pretty original ballad which actually feels like a ballad. I love the way they move the rhythm up as the tune progresses, and yet keep it essentially a ballad. Is this Freddie Hubbard?

13 Very groovy playing from a sax only group. Could this be the World Saxophone Quartet? Likeable stuff, anyway, though a bit off my track.

14 “I’ll see you again” tenor sax and ukulele? Enter the tuba. Then glockenspiel. This sounds so much as if it ought to be a soundtrack. Can I hear a baby crying in there? The feeling is so warm.

Some of these bands sound rather similar. Could some of them be the same band?

Well, I loved this compilation even more than I disliked disc a, Durium. Wow! Thank you so much for a truly delightful ride!

MG

Some commends to the suggestions, Magnificent Goldberg made to my second compilation. Thanks for that. I will insert the facts, already found by Tooter (T) and Stereojack (S) at my commend. Here we go ............

1 A French or Belgian band, attempting to play something in a twenties/thirties style, and making a big joke of it. Clearly, the guys are having fun; much fun. Funny thing, when they do eventually get it down, they seem rather too modern.

Modern French (T-S) revival band (S). You're right - it's big fun !!

2 Sounds like two guitarists accompanying themselves by patting their feet on a board. Is one of the guitarists playing a ukulele? The tune is very familiar, but I can’t place it. One of the guitarists sings along. Oh, this is really nice.

It is only one "guitar" player, but the style of his guitar playing, both the rhythm part as the solo part at the same moment, became one of the major elements of his style. And, by the way, he isn't playing the guitar, but a kind of ukulele, you're right, although they don't call it that way in his part of the world !! The tune, actually, is his very first composition, he made when he was a teenager.

3 This sounds like genuine thirties stuff: “Sweet Sue” is the tune. I’ve never heard any of their material, but I’m going to guess that this is the Quintet of the Hot Club of France. If it isn’t, well, it sounds like it ought to be. God, it’s good, too!

Oscar Aleman ( S ) - Sweet Sue (T S). Although there are some rumours, Aleman never made recordings with the Quintet of the Hot Club of France, although Django was a personal friend of him. The style of music Aleman is playing is not related to the gypsy jazz. Any idea who the violin player is? He organized this session !!

4 “Running wild” played by violin and rhythm. Sounds like Stephane Grappelli, who used to appear on British TV quite frequently a few decades ago. Don’t know who the guitarist is. And is this followed by a pizzicato solo by the violinist? Wow! This band is so together, as well; what a delight! I thought the sound was a bit funny – so it’s live. Wish I had been there.

Runnin' Wild ( T S ). The violin player isn´t Stephane Grappelli, although this one also performed on British television - he must have. I heard the guitar player several times in concert and was impressed by his guitar playing

5 Duke Ellington’s “Daydream” by trombone & rhythm. I get a Kai Winding feeling about this, though I know not why – I’ve heard hardly any of his music. I love the guitarist’s accompaniment. He strikes me as being one of those really well known West Coast guitarists like Barney Kessel, whose work I’m generally unfamiliar with. Very nice; not quite up my street, but very nice, all the same.

Daydream ( T S ) The trombone player is the leader of the quintet. The guitar player, 39 years young now, was influenced by Grant Green.

6 Nice, relaxing Bossa Nova by trumpet & alto & rhythm. This would be a lovely number to stand on the dance floor and sway to gently, while holding your lady very close – for eight minutes of heaven!

Oh, and the guys are playing, too! Well, the guitarist seemed to lose it, just at the end of his solo and the alto player hurried to the rescue. Fine.

Isn't that cute ...... the saxophone player is a lady, so .......... watch out !

7 Baritone and lady singist – very nice. No, is that a bass sax? Wow, those bottoms are REALLY bottoms! No, I think it’s a baritone. And a really quite preachin’ baritone player, too. Oh, this is lurvely! One I think I want to buy.

A Gerry Mulligan tune (S). It is a baritone saxophone, you're right and the album was made as a remembrance to a series of concerts for a musician who should have celibrated his 75th birthday last year and had played with Mulligan in his pianoless quartet in the 1950s.

8 Fast Bossa Nova with piano, trumpet, alto. Very nice stuff indeed! Lotsa drums – could the leader be a drummer, by chance?

No, the drummer is not the leader - it's like in a lot of households - a woman is the leader ......

9 “I’ll remember April” by violin and rhythm. This also sounds like Stephane! The guitarist reminds me a bit of Les Paul’s playing on the first JATP gig. More very charming stuff.

I'll Remember April ( T S ) The violin player is not Stephane Grappelli. In fact, the man who plays the violin became more known as a bass player, although incidentaly played the violin. He took up his first instrument, he learned to play it as a kid, when he was 70 years old and made this recording with a drumless trio. The bass player, by the way, was his favorite bass player through his carreer !!

10 A great song I’ve never heard before! A lovely singer. And a very nice Django-style guitarist. Pooh gosh! Wonderful! I think I need to find out who this is.

I heard this group playing live. Great !!

11 Another Bossa Nova. Very interesting and groovy bass solo. Nice flug & piano solos. Yes, very nice.

Again ...... I heard this group playing live a few years ago. The bass player toured with Chet Baker in the late 1970s

12 Pretty original ballad which actually feels like a ballad. I love the way they move the rhythm up as the tune progresses, and yet keep it essentially a ballad. Is this Freddie Hubbard?

No, the flugelhorn is not played by Freddie Hubbard, but they both played trumpet on a 1989 recording with Carl Allen's Manhattan Projects.

13 Very groovy playing from a sax only group. Could this be the World Saxophone Quartet? Likeable stuff, anyway, though a bit off my track.

Zoot Sims ( T S ) Who's the other sax player?

14 “I’ll see you again” tenor sax and ukulele? Enter the tuba. Then glockenspiel. This sounds so much as if it ought to be a soundtrack. Can I hear a baby crying in there? The feeling is so warm.

I'll See You Again ( T S ) There is a C Melody sax on this track, a tuba and a ukulele indeed. I don't think it is a baby, it might be a toy, that makes bird-like noises.

Some of these bands sound rather similar. Could some of them be the same band?

Some of the musicians are playing on several tracks in different groups.

Well, I loved this compilation even more than I disliked disc a, Durium. Wow! Thank you so much for a truly delightful ride!

It's good to learn that you enjoyed the second selection better !! Thanks !

I posted some suggestions that other BFT'ers might use finding the correct information.

Keep swinging

Durium

I'm going to guess that "Running wild" is by that other popular violinist, Svend Asmussen.

Okeh !! You hit the right man, Svend Asmussen. Let's find out the rest of the information: Who's playing the guitar?

I can't imagine a 39 year old disciple of Grant Green. Let me see, he'd have been 10 when GG died. Ah, Peter Bernstein!

You did it again !! Peter Bernstein is the guitar player !! But who's the leader of that group, who plays trombone without vibrato ( T), clean articulated ( S) and keeps the tune quite straight (T), who reminds of J.J. Johnson (S) and Kai Winding (MG)? And what about the trumpet player?

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

I'm going to guess that "Running wild" is by that other popular violinist, Svend Asmussen.

Okeh !! You hit the right man, Svend Asmussen. Let's find out the rest of the information: Who's playing the guitar?

I can't imagine a 39 year old disciple of Grant Green. Let me see, he'd have been 10 when GG died. Ah, Peter Bernstein!

You did it again !! Peter Bernstein is the guitar player !! But who's the leader of that group, who plays trombone without vibrato ( T), clean articulated ( S) and keeps the tune quite straight (T), who reminds of J.J. Johnson (S) and Kai Winding (MG)? And what about the trumpet player?

Keep swinging

Durium

Well, I guess I could do some discographical research - but I think that would be cheating. :cool:

Basically, I don't know these guys.

MG

Is it worth mentioning that 7 - the Gerry Mulligan tune referred to - is "Walkin' Shoes"? I thought this hardly worth saying but it has not been specified so far has it?

You're right Tooter. It is Walking Shoes.

Maybe I should give some more indications to find the musicians that are in this band. Well, I told in MG's answers for this track, that this CD was released together with a series of concerts in remembrance of the fact that 75 years ago a great musician was born, who became famous in the 1950s piano-less quartets of Gerry Mulligan.............. well I guess everyone knows what musician I'm talking about. One of his great concerts was recorded in the Hitomi-Kinen-Ködö, in Tokyo in the summer of 1987 and the rhythm section, both the drummer as the bass player are present on this track 7 too ( Walking Shoes).

Do you think I give some more indications? I hope some BFTesters, who haven't react yet, will make a bid for the correct answers. I'm ready for it !! :crazy:

Keep swinging

Durium

• 2 weeks later...

Up to now four members have sent their commends to my BFT # 44. Their suggestions and remarks were interesting and some tracks could even be labeled correctly - some tracks gave enough clues to find out more information I guess. Great !!

Of course I'd love to give you suggestions to help you on te right trail, but then I need commends from you. This week my daily Keep swinging web log is one year online and some info might be in my contributions.

Good luck !![/b]

BTW: If you forgot to ask for a copy or link contact me.

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

disc two was another fun compilation, although towards the end I found my attention got a bit less... probably it's just a bit too much music and not enough sleep...

#1 Merdre alors!

#2 More retro stuff? Tune sounds familiar but I can't pin it down. Nice one.

#3 "Sweet Sue"? If it's Django, it would likely be Rostaing on tenor? Not sure where to put this one...

#4 This is a similar performance, same tune as #3, but now definitely a new and retro one. Not my favourite, but pleasant enough.

#5 Now this is another one played to death, I guess, but it took me years of jazz listening until I finally heard it, and I love it! It's "Skylark" (Hoagy Carmichael), right? Lovely trombone sound, but I'm not sure at all who this could be, guitar and sound of this makes me think it's not that old... maybe Carl Fontana or someone similar? Bill Watrous in a quiet peaceful moment? Guitar is very nice, too! Oh, wait, is this J.J.? The second solo reminds me of him a lot, but I don't have anything of his with guitar backing...

#6 Nice and mellow one... Chet Baker? (That would make me guess Philip Catherine, Jacques Pelzer)

#7 A Mulligan-associated tune... is that "Bernie's Tune"? I haven't heard the album with Annie Ross... sounds like it could be indeed Mulligan himself on baritone. I enjoy the baritone a lot, this laziness and the dry sound. Doesn't really sound like what I've heard of Annie...

#8 More nice trumpet... nice piano solo, good groove going on beneath. Trumpet and alto are good, too, but I don't really have an idea who this could be, although the alto sounds somewhat familiar. Nice to have kind of a shout-chorus before the final theme arrives, something pretty old-fashioned that not many bands do nowadays.

#9 "I'll Remember April" again. A few quotes too many in the violin solo... Retro stuff again, not bad, but not really my cup of tea, sorry.

#10 More old-fashined stuff... not bad at all, I think, but the Django-like sentimental guitar doesn't really work for me. It does swing, though! Sax is nice.

#11 Another latin track with nice trumpet... tune sounds familiar, but maybe that's just because of the deceptively simple melody.

#12 More lyrical trumpet with guitar... is that one of your preferred combinations? This one doesn't do a lot for me, it may be fine, very good musicians, but it just doesn't reach out to me.

#13 Entering fun territory again to end? Very nice! Al & Zoot? I like this a lot, it's very simple with just the two tenors, but it sounds like much more!

#14 A lullaby? Ah, nice, there enters the tuba! A cute outro!

Thanks a lot for these two discs!

Thanks Dutchmanx for your commends;

1 sorry I use to skip such tracks

You're right - see this as a funny intro to illustrate how much fun these musicians have in reproducing the hot 1920s sound.

2 skipped this too because of this creaking sound

Well - this recording was originally released on LP ...........

Thanks Dutchmanx

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

Some quick thoughts on Disc B. Overall, I think I prefered Disc A, but there's certainly much wunnerful stuff to be enjoyed here. Many thanks!

1. Can’t tell if this is really old (and European) or a put-on to sound old. The guys are obviously having a blast, but I can’t tell if it’s legit. On its own, this is a bit too goofy; I suspect it would work much better for me in the context of an entire album/set.

2. This one’s growing on me…

3. Django?

4. Gotta be Grappelli in there somewhere… ;)

5. Bone and guitar? Lovely.

6. Very pretty.

7. Love that deep, rich bari sound! Odd meter (?) to the tune, but overall I really like this – but not so much the vocal parts.

9. “I’ll Remember April.” Again, perhaps Grappelli, but he sounded more like him in #4.

11. Like this. No clue though…

12. Again, very nice, tasteful…

13. Ah, finally something very different! I like this. Swings more than most sax duets.

14. Sweet, but a bit too precious perhaps – like a lullaby. Good bookend with #1.

Weekend .... so time to have a look on your remarks, King Ubu to the second cd

#1 Merdre alors!`

French - indeed - one of those French revival bands - Kansas City Kitty. You like it or you hate this kind of stuff. Up to now, no-one came with a name of this famous, almost legendary French revival band. It became famous in the 1970s and it stopped suddenly, at the peak of their success in 1978. The leader of the band has founded a new band, a small jazz band ( !! ) a few years ago and he still swings !! I'd love to know the name of that first band.

#2 More retro stuff? Tune sounds familiar but I can't pin it down. Nice one.

Well, not really retro stuff, although the man who plays on a kind of Brazilian ukulele plays the very first tune he learned to play in the late 1920s !!

#3 "Sweet Sue"? If it's Django, it would likely be Rostaing on tenor? Not sure where to put this one...

It is Oscar Aleman with the song Sweet Sue ( Stereojack found out first) - It is a recording from the late 1930s and it was not made in France, as Oscar was on a tour with Josephine Baker. During some days off he was invited by the violin player who was fascinated by his craftmanship on the guitar and invited him for a jam session that was recorded. Well enough indication. Go ahead ........

#4 This is a similar performance, same tune as #3, but now definitely a new and retro one. Not my favourite, but pleasant enough.

No it's not the same tune - It's Running Wild (T.S.) and M.G. found out that it was Svend Asmussen on the violin. Any idea when this was recorded and who is the guitar player?

#5 Now this is another one played to death, I guess, but it took me years of jazz listening until I finally heard it, and I love it! It's "Skylark" (Hoagy Carmichael), right? Lovely trombone sound, but I'm not sure at all who this could be, guitar and sound of this makes me think it's not that old... maybe Carl Fontana or someone similar? Bill Watrous in a quiet peaceful moment? Guitar is very nice, too! Oh, wait, is this J.J.? The second solo reminds me of him a lot, but I don't have anything of his with guitar backing...

No no no - not Skylark, but Day Dream as several list members found out and the guitar player is Peter Bernstein (M.G.) Nearly all trombone players were mentioned, but no-one found who really played the trombone. Well I'll give some indication. He started his career, like so many young musicians, in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers. And the trumpet player started his career about the same time, but with another tutor ......... Can you imagine that I have seen this trumpet player at least six or seven times in concert already?

#6 Nice and mellow one... Chet Baker? (That would make me guess Philip Catherine, Jacques Pelzer)

No, you're searching in the wrong part of Europe ..... I think you should visit Scandinavia and, I already suggested that the alto is played by a lady ...... The trumpet player is not Chet Baker, but also started to play trumpet as a professional early 1950s. He played mostly in Scandinavia, but toured through Europe and played with visiting Americans, like Thad Jones, Bob Brookmeyer, John Lewis and Warne Marsh. and the guitar player is also on .........track 4

#7 A Mulligan-associated tune... is that "Bernie's Tune"? I haven't heard the album with Annie Ross... sounds like it could be indeed Mulligan himself on baritone. I enjoy the baritone a lot, this laziness and the dry sound. Doesn't really sound like what I've heard of Annie...

I'm sure that the baritone player is very happy with your suggestion that he sounds like Gerry Mulligan. It's not Bernie's Tune, but Walking Shoes which was already suggested before. The singer is not Annie Ross - It is a registration of a tour that wanted to remember the 75th birthday of a famous trumpet player with a series of concerts. The woman sings the part of the trumpet player ........ and maybe you can connect this with the sound of the baritone sax. The tour was in 2005 and 2006.

#8 More nice trumpet... nice piano solo, good groove going on beneath. Trumpet and alto are good, too, but I don't really have an idea who this could be, although the alto sounds somewhat familiar. Nice to have kind of a shout-chorus before the final theme arrives, something pretty old-fashioned that not many bands do nowadays.

Well, most of the list members like this track, but no-one has found out in which direction they have to think. I'll give some indications. The leader of the group ( I'm not telling what instruments she plays) is married with another famous musician and at home (well it isn't actually her land of birth ) they are famous because of their orchestra. I heard her playing in a solo concert and was fascinated by her charming personality ....... ( and of course her music )

#9 "I'll Remember April" again. A few quotes too many in the violin solo... Retro stuff again, not bad, but not really my cup of tea, sorry.

Another track difficult to trace. most members are fascinated by the violin - well I wrote before that this man played most of his career another instrument, although it looks like a violin ...... The piano man is much more famous and a very skilled musician - I heard him in concert last year and was really astonished about his piano playing, which reminded me to Erroll Garner sometimes. And the bass player and guitar player both are very well know ...... no doubt about that.

#10 More old-fashined stuff... not bad at all, I think, but the Django-like sentimental guitar doesn't really work for me. It does swing, though! Sax is nice.

Isn't that nice ... you mention that it swings ... well that word is in the name of the group too. You heard the guitar player before, two times up to now .......

#11 Another latin track with nice trumpet... tune sounds familiar, but maybe that's just because of the deceptively simple melody.

It is a Brazilian tune and I already suggested before that the bass player toured with Chet Baker. The trumpet player now lives in Europe, but he came to the US in 1970 where he studied at Berklee. He played with musicians like Paquito D'Rivera, Charlie Rouse, Jimmy Heath, Gary Bartz, Nick Brignola, Mark Murphy and Jim Hall and Horace Silver ( and this is only a selection ) BTW: If you know the name of this trio you also know the names of the other two members ....

#12 More lyrical trumpet with guitar... is that one of your preferred combinations? This one doesn't do a lot for me, it may be fine, very good musicians, but it just doesn't reach out to me.

Well, I like the way the guitar player plays ( he made a beautiful album last year with a blind piano player ) and I also like the way the trumpet player sounds. Normally they don't play together, but the trumpet player was so nice to play on a few tracks of his album.

#13 Entering fun territory again to end? Very nice! Al & Zoot? I like this a lot, it's very simple with just the two tenors, but it sounds like much more!

Great, Zoot was already suggested but Al Cohn is of course the other saxophone player on these unaccompanied saxophones. But what might be the title of this improvisation?

#14 A lullaby? Ah, nice, there enters the tuba! A cute outro!

I'll See You Again .... isn't that a nice way to say goodbye. BTW: The correct title is I'll © You Again. all titles of this CD have something with that ©. The saxophone player normally plays the alto saxophone, but this time he plays the ......... yes you're right, the © melody sax.

Thanks a lot for these two discs!

You're welcome

350 x | keep swinging

Durium

Thanks King Ubu for your reply

So that's Toshiko on #8?

Yes, it's Toshiko Akiyoshi op piano. Any idea about the rest of the info?

Not Jan Allan on #6?

Yes it is - Jan Allan on trumpet as a guest to this trio. He is not a regular player of that band. The trio ( with a woman on alto saxophone ) is from neighbouring country with great jazz tradition.

And then #7 was a tour in memory of Chet?

It is, but who is that great baritone that sound like Gerry and who can sing like Chet's playing. And in a previous message I told that both the bass player and the drummer played with ......... Chet. In my web log dedicated to Valentine's Day ( My Funny Valentine ) you can see both musicans !!

Thanks King Ubu ..............

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

Judging from your clues, Durium, the guitarist on 9 & 10 must be Oscar Aleman. Or am I reading you wrong?

MG

Sorry MG.

The tracks you refer to are from 1987 and 2003 and the guitar players are complete different persons.

BTW: Oscar Aleman died in 1980.

But it is true that the guitar player on track 10 also plays on track 4 and track 6 of the second CD

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium