not complaining, but this makes less sense than Norah Jones

Rooster_Ties

68251_165.jpg

http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=10607

http://www.bluenote.com/news.asp?NewsID=417 <-- "news page" from BN

Several full-length tunes here...

http://www.myspace.com/thebirdandthebee

When push comes to shove, I could care less what they release on the label. But even this makes less sense than Norah Jones on BN.

(And for the record, neither Bird & Bee nor Norah bother me be being on Blue Note -- not a bit.)

Just a head-scratcher, though. :huh:

Hoping this doesn't just turn into a "bitch about BN" thread, that's not why I'm starting this thread.

So why am I starting it?? -- hell if I know! :P

Edited by Rooster_Ties

There's a tune on the album called "F-cking Boyfriend". :blink: / :o / :P

AMG Review

EDIT: I'm liking the tunes from the myspace page. Might pick this one up. Still can't figure why it's on BN, but the music is strangely captivating. :tup

'nother pic...

birdbee_a.jpg

Just got to the chorus of "Fucking Boyfriend". :ph34r: / :g

"Would you ever be my, would you be my fucking boyfriend? - ahh ahha ah, ahha ah..."

:rlol

Edited by Rooster_Ties

They have a song called "Fucking Boyfriend". How 'bout that.

Listened to the myspace samples. Ok for what it is, actually a little/lot better than it has to be. But if there's any hits involved (questionable, since the songs are too complex, entering into primo Brian Wilson territory that still befuddles everybody except the handfull of people who get it in the first place, but w/that deadpan little-girl delivery, hey, anything can happen), it's most likely one-hit-wonderland. But if it puts $$$ in the coffers, hey that's the object of the game.

Hell, in a perfect world, they'd put out a Monday Michiru album. But this ain't a perfect world, is it...

Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan are throwing up right now thinking about their new label mates. :bad:

Multiple choice:

1. Who, Charles Tolliver?
  2. Yuck. You ever tried getting corpse vomit out of carpet?
  3. You must not remember the 70s...
  4. All of the above.

C. And it started before the 70's, thanks to Liberty (remember 'Collision in Black' and those gross Stanley Turrentine albums?), but UA made it much worse. But I believe the Norah Jones windfall funded some reissues and new projects we never would have seen otherwise (Lou Blackburn and Charles Tolliver, anyone?),and if this does the same, OK by me. Nothing says we have to buy it, and no one is a Blue Note completist anymore.

Of course there's still a lot of sentimentality/protectiveness about a (to be fair) substantial musical legacy (BN) and the cultural/iconographic legacy that it has birthed. What one might find bothersome (and this is to take nothing away from the aesthetics, intents, purposes, or--finally--quality of the younger groups) is precisely how persistent certain forces are about simultaneously mining a rich historical musical legacy and siphoning the energies off that legacy and onto projects almost wholly removed from the former "label spirit". That "finest in jazz" thing is still on the logo (implicitly or directly), after all...

Pragmatically: (1) as we have explored in other threads, we've fetishized this label to death (mutating into a sort of blind vitriol toward lord knows who--and yes, we're probably marring those more accomplished works and artists with our endless, whiny tirades), (2) Blue Note has not been Blue Note for decades, (3) more money/mainstream prestige for BN may be good news for those reissues we throb over, (4) I'm aware that few of us are actually complaining this time, and I join you in my resignation.

Hey, I'm actually glad to see this stuff getting released on a "major" label, BN or otherwise. It's not formulaic (except in the wearing of its eccentricity on its sleeve), and if it penetrates the mainstream musical consciousness deeper than that of "novelty" (a highly unlikely proposition, but who knows?), then so much the better.

Interesting, perhaps, is that AMG shows this as having been released in 2006 on Metro Blue. What w/all the recent shakeups at EMI, maybe Lundvall's yet again playing the survival game. If I was going to pretend that it still mattered outside the cave, I'd think that Metro Blue would be a perfectly acceptable lable for this release.

Along those lines, condier the Mosaic/Blue Note alliance, co-brand, whatever...