My Trio is in the studio!

jazzypaul

so, we're currently going through the recording process, and we've got two unmixed versions of tunes up on our myspace page. If you feel like checking out some tunes (no originals yet, I'm afraid), we've got our versions of Caravan and Lucky Southern up.

http://www.myspace.com/paulabellatrio]The Paul Abella Trio

I'd honestly love to hear what some real jazz fans think of the sound. So please, give a listen and let me know!

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, what brand of bongos are you playin'? I think you should tune the macho a bit higher. I'm talkin' about Lucky Southern here - did you pick this tune from a fakebook or have you heard the original on Airto's record? By turning it into some type of Afro-Calypso that tune looses some of its charm, which is due to the Brazilian influence in the rhythmic phrasing - but don't take me too serious, I'm a percussionist myself and pretty picky 'bout such things.

It sure comes across that you have fun while playing, and that's the most important. I envy you - wihs I had a trio like that myself to play my own music, I'm playin' other people's music all the time at the moment.

Edited by mikeweil

Paul, what brand of bongos are you playin'? I think you should tune the macho a bit higher. I'm talkin' about Lucky Southern here - did you pick this tune from a fakebook or have you heard the original on Airto's record? By turning it into some type of Afro-Calypso that tune looses some of its charm, which is due to the Brazilian influence in the rhythmic phrasing - but don't take me too serious, I'm a percussionist myself and pretty picky 'bout such things.

It sure comes across that you have fun while playing, and that's the most important. I envy you - wihs I had a trio like that myself to play my own music, I'm playin' other people's music all the time at the moment.

Mike,

I'm playing LP Matadors. Yeah, I agree that they should've been cranked a little higher, but in playback I went, "hmmm, that sounds pretty cool!"

as for the Lucky Southern arrangement, we all had heard the original, but we always try to put our stamp on the tunes we play, and that was the stamp we put on Lucky Southern. I hope it works in spite of itself.

And thanks for the kind words. We try to have fun. :)