Do you use and trust Popsike record prices?

Footsurg

I recently aquired a large jazz and blues record collection and have been going through it for the last few days to see if there is anything included that is truly rare and valuable. I don't intend to sell anything out of this collection unless it turns out to be something valuable and something that I know I won't listen to.

Anyway, I have been using the usual methods to determine value. Checking past ebay auctions using the search completed items, the Goldmine record guides and Popsike. Some of the information on Popsike seems too outlandish to believe. I checked the price of a record that I played the other night on Popsike. It was Hank Mobley's Soul Station on BN. NM cover/NM record, W 61st on label and cover. There was one that sold in mid December for $1050 according to Popsike. Then there were a few that sold in early December and late November in the $400-600 range that looked to be in identical condition to the one that sold for $1050. Then in August there was one that fetched $1750.

I find it hard to believe that anyone really paid over 1k for this record. I wonder how many of the Popsike listings were auctions where the high bidder did not pay and the item was relisted later. I know any auction has the potential to get crazy especially if its a record that is rare, clean and is seen infrequently. This can be compounded if there are Japanese bidders involved or if its an Anthony Pearson auction. I just have a hard time believing that someone actually forked over $1750 or $1050 for this record. Even $400-600 seems obscene. I know all Popsike does is copy ended ebay auctions and organizes them so they can be searched, but it seems that the majority of the auctions they track are for the records that sell for the outrageously high prices. The instances where a record that for example sells for $500 then later another copy sells for $40, both auctions don't always appear on Popsike. They will list the $500 one, but not the $40 one. This to me gives the illusion that the hypothetical record in question is more valuable than it really is. See where I am going?

I was just curious if anyone else ever questions what they see on Popsike.

Mark

Even $400-600 seems obscene.

Since I am a good guy and I want to spare you the shame send me the Mobley for 10 bucks. :g

Seriously speaking there are a lot of factors involved in fixing the price of a record. No way to have a correct value. Maybe you could fix a range, but collectors's crazyness could always break the bank.

Edited by porcy62

Then you should create your own database of sales prices of your rarest records--follow sales of specific records on ebay over a period of time and see what happens with the Mobley for example.

Thats what Popsike does for you. My question is how accurate do you think the Popsike data actually is?

Then you should create your own database of sales prices of your rarest records--follow sales of specific records on ebay over a period of time and see what happens with the Mobley for example.

Thats what Popsike does for you. My question is how accurate do you think the Popsike data actually is?

I have no idea what they include/exclude from their database. I would never sell a rare record and don't pay premium prices for LPs, so it is just for fun anyway.

I have no idea what they include/exclude from their database. I would never sell a rare record and don't pay premium prices for LPs, so it is just for fun anyway.

Me too! I check their site off and on just to have an idea on the prospective value of an album. I know it's not The Bible!

I am with you. I have never actually sold a record before. I have traded a few times, but never sold. I have done my share of buying however! I like to cruise Popsike just to see what kind of appreciation I am getting on the records I bought in the past,

Sort of like someone who is always watching home prices in their neighborhood, but does not intend to sell their own home.

I may be tempted to sell off a few titles from this collection I just bought however. The reason I have never sold a record before is because all my records were chosen title by title based on music I enjoy. I have never bought a collection before. This was an all or none deal. I had to buy them all. So there is obviously going to be some records that are not my taste. I have to say so far.....I have not found any discards yet. Everything I have cleaned and played up to this point is going to be a keeper. I still have 550 records to go through however!

Mark

Usually the big money goes for well trusted sellers, so for the Mobley you could pay 1,7 K for a 'ear', DG, mint cover, labels, inner sleeve and record, and you know what you'll get or risk 400 $ with a less trusted seller. My suggestion is to put records on ebay when that particular title is lacking for a while. I mean that when a Rollins' Colossus fetched for over 1,5 K, a lot of sellers rushed to put the same record on ebay. You actually don't know if the 1,5 K buyer is a lone madman or at least a couple of madmen fighting each others over any reasonable price. You should check the bid's history to have a view about how many people are really interested in that record and how much they are ready to pay for it. You can't do it on Popsike. So kh1958's suggestion is not so bizarre.

Popsike is suitable to have an idea of the price range and demand of a record. That's all. You can use it as you use the "completed items" on Ebay.

The interest also is that you can see HOW MANY times a record was for sale, and what average price it makes. Anyway, to sum up the really expensive records are the combination of :

- Blue Note + NM original + Reputable seller + compulsive japanese millionnaire = $$$$

And almost nothing to do with the rarity in 95 % of the cases. If there is ONE element missing in the addition, the price remains humans (and affordable for me)

One day i auctionned a NM original copy of "the African Beat" on Blue Note. Perfect condition. There was NO bid on this one ! On month later Jazz5060 sold one 165 $. I'm not the reputable seller. Sharks don't bite. I still have my African Beat. I'm not on popsike. What a NM copy of African Beat is it worth ?

:huh:

popsike does only list records from about 50 $ and up !

to compare the prices you have really to read the item description: stereo mono near mint, near mint minus :crazy: , vg++ etc) then of course as many members already wrote the seller is important.

but whats missing is the TIME you are selling the record: not only the hours of the day, but the season: for example christmas time (1 month before) you get really high prices.

bid in summertime in the middle of august, you have got chances for what was michel tellin above ...

i think popsike can give you quite a good feeling if a record has a high value or not, but that's only for the money side !! and says nothing about the quality of the music itself of course ...

Edited by jbs-tom