The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Mariners have the best record in baseball! Seriously, Hernandez was a complete monster today. He looks ready to have a major season. Very impressive. :tup

Woo hoo! As it's early April I'm letting myself believe, that if the ifs & maybes work out right, we might just win the west. :)

Gotta be optimistic about something in life! :lol:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great day today, full slate of game on tv. First game I'm watching is the Yankee game, then on to the M's vs. A's, (holy cow, it's hailing in Stanwood right now), then a evening game. Life is good at times.

Indeed.

Opening Day should be a national holiday!

:g

I'll second that :D

First test of the "new" Beckett tonite, and then Dice-K makes his debut tomorrow. Should be interesting. To those who think Beckett was terrible last year, did you know his ERA in his 16 wins was 2.20? That's pitching extraordinarily well in 1/2 of his starts. The problem was that the no-decisions had an ERA of 5.01 and the losses had an ERA of 10+. We'll see if he got the memo that he has to command his curveball and off-speed pitches in order to win consistently.

I will say this: it really sucks when you lose badly on Opening Day because then you get an extra day's wait to get that bad taste out of your mouth. :bad:

Dice K on the mound today .......suppose to be very cold in KC !

Yeah, and I was all ready to sign up for Game Day Audio to listen in when I saw an ad that DirecTV is running an Extra Innings free preview now until April 8. Caught the last 8 innings of last night's game (Beckett was just OK, I'm going to cut him slack that he had trouble with his grip in the cold and that's the reason he walked so many and ran his pitch count up so high) and now I'm counting down the hours to the Big Debut. In this kind of cold, I'd expect Dice to really dominate as long as he commands. Hopefully he's over the bit of dead arm that hurt his control his last two starts.

I will say this: it really sucks when you lose badly on Opening Day because then you get an extra day's wait to get that bad taste out of your mouth. :bad:

Try losing the first two at home. I'm trying not to panic.

How about the defending world champs? 0-3 at home, and with their starting pitching even more iffy with the ace on the shelf for at least one start.

How about the defending world champs? 0-3 at home, and with their starting pitching even more iffy with the ace on the shelf for at least one start.

That's bad, no doubt. However, the phrase "defending world champs" lessens the sting. The Phillies have one championship in 124 seasons. One. And that happened in 1980. This city hasn't had a championship celebration since the Sixers in 1983. So would I trade"0-3 at home, and with their starting pitching even more iffy with the ace on the shelf for at least one start" for "losing the first two at home"??? In a heartbeat.

Dice K on the mound today .......suppose to be very cold in KC !

Yeah, and I was all ready to sign up for Game Day Audio to listen in when I saw an ad that DirecTV is running an Extra Innings free preview now until April 8. Caught the last 8 innings of last night's game (Beckett was just OK, I'm going to cut him slack that he had trouble with his grip in the cold and that's the reason he walked so many and ran his pitch count up so high) and now I'm counting down the hours to the Big Debut. In this kind of cold, I'd expect Dice to really dominate as long as he commands. Hopefully he's over the bit of dead arm that hurt his control his last two starts.

I will tell ya what looked good last night was the bullpen......everyone on sports radio has questioned

the pen , BUT i think this is an area that Theo has done well.

JC Romero looked very dominating last night.

That's bad, no doubt. However, the phrase "defending world champs" lessens the sting. The Phillies have one championship in 124 seasons. One. And that happened in 1980. This city hasn't had a championship celebration since the Sixers in 1983. So would I trade"0-3 at home, and with their starting pitching even more iffy with the ace on the shelf for at least one start" for "losing the first two at home"??? In a heartbeat.

Well, count me as someone who thinks the Phils will be back in the playoffs this year, particularly if Flash doesn't show his age for one more year.

I will tell ya what looked good last night was the bullpen......everyone on sports radio has questioned

the pen , BUT i think this is an area that Theo has done well.

JC Romero looked very dominating last night.

If Romero throws strikes and Timlin goes back to what he was before last season, the set up crew has a chance to be dominating, because of the addition of Donnelly. Okajima can be very good if he stays away from the middle of the plate with his curve. And I'd really like to see Tavarez back in the long-relief role when Lester is ready and Snyder in the mix as 7th-8th inning guy. He's got so many weapons and misses bats, which is what you need for set up men. He could be another Donnelly, coming in to get the punch out with men on base. (the only thing to fear is his home run rate, though)

Pineiro looked good last night ......didn't he finish strong last year as a reliever for the Mariners?

No, Pineiro was a starting pitcher who was terrible -- and he looked worse in the pen. His ERA was 6.36 :bad:

FUNKBLAST.jpg

Edited by Matthew

Pineiro looked good last night ......didn't he finish strong last year as a reliever for the Mariners?

No, Pineiro was a starting pitcher who was terrible -- and he looked worse in the pen. His ERA was 6.36 :bad:

FUNKBLAST.jpg

No, he was better in the pen, with an ERA a hair over 4. He also showed better velocity in short stints (93-94) and better results in first innings than later innings.

Its a risk, and I'd rather have Timlin and Donnelly as the primary 8th inning guys, but Piniero may surprise some people.

FUNKBLAST.jpg

No, he was better in the pen, with an ERA a hair over 4. He also showed better velocity in short stints (93-94) and better results in first innings than later innings.

Its a risk, and I'd rather have Timlin and Donnelly as the primary 8th inning guys, but Piniero may surprise some people.

Re: Baseball Fans. We all drink our favorite teams Kool-Aid. ;)

FUNKBLAST.jpg

Re: Baseball Fans. We all drink our favorite teams Kool-Aid. ;)

That's indeed true, Matthew, but it is a fact that his ERA was better in the bullpen, not worse, and that he's showing better velocity and better results in one inning stints. That's not kool-aid, thems are facts.