The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm kind of hoping for a total suckfest from my hometown Giants. If they end up being good (against all odds), I'm going to feel really conflicted about rooting for them. If they just suck, it will make it a lot easier to not care.

Looks like I don't have much to worry about.

Mike Hampton, who hasn't pitched in almost 2 years, just found out he has a torn flexor tendon, and is out for '07! :( I really feel for the guy, he has been trying so hard to get back, and he may be done......

Perhaps Kyle Davies will fill in fine for him the rest of the season. He looked very good yesterday against the Mets....

The Mariners are snowed out again today. Thanks mlb -- idiots. :bad:

You can say that again. The Indians now get to host the Angels for their only visit to Cleveland at Miller Park in Milwaukee. Which knucklehead came up with this nonsense? Can I blame Bud Selig?

Grady Sizemore would be your major league HR leader if it weren't for Mother Nature (and Knucklehead Bud).

VCR ALERT:

I hope everyone is ready to settle in Wednesday night at 7 pm ET on ESPN2, as Dice-K makes his Fenway debut against King Felix!

I was under the impression that with the snow-outs, the King would make his scheduled start against Beckett this afternoon, but I can only guess that the Seattle manager (is that still Hargrove?) had a sense of the moment and is sending Jeff Weaver out today and King Felix on Wednesday.

When was the last double no-hitter pitched? I recall a famous pitcher's duel where the losing pitcher had a no-hitter through 9 and the winning pitcher ended up with a perfect game, or something like that ...

Beckett is having a great day .he just struck out the side in the 6th and has struckout Ichiro

3 times . I have never seen Ichiro strike out that many times in a game.

the rumors in boston are that the Sox have interest in Ichiro for next year , but i dunno

he looks like a different player even in the field , how old is this guy ? 31 , 32 ?

I don't think they have serious interest in Ichiro. They need to be thinking about Andruw Jones as a replacement for Manny in the coming years; plus they've got Jacoby Ellsbury knocking on the door. Best hope may be that Coco has a real good year just to get his value back up, and then trade him next fall. There are a lot of excellent centerfielders who will be free agents, I am sure that there will be a market for Coco since his contract is on the cheap side (provided he goes back to punishing fastballs this year).

As for Opening Day - I don't know what is nicer, seeing the bats come alive or Beckett being so good. I think at one point he'd thrown 60 pitches, 45 for strikes. That's just sick. As we've all said, its critical that he command his pitches better to get the most out of his fastball. Its way too early to tell (he started out pretty great last year, too) but it certainly looks good so far.

I really want to see Drew's homer on ESPN - the radio call said that Ichiro took two steps in, which is really shocking on a ball that had to go 420 to clear the centerfield fence.

I don't think they have serious interest in Ichiro. They need to be thinking about Andruw Jones as a replacement for Manny in the coming years; plus they've got Jacoby Ellsbury knocking on the door. Best hope may be that Coco has a real good year just to get his value back up, and then trade him next fall. There are a lot of excellent centerfielders who will be free agents, I am sure that there will be a market for Coco since his contract is on the cheap side (provided he goes back to punishing fastballs this year).

As for Opening Day - I don't know what is nicer, seeing the bats come alive or Beckett being so good. I think at one point he'd thrown 60 pitches, 45 for strikes. That's just sick. As we've all said, its critical that he command his pitches better to get the most out of his fastball. Its way too early to tell (he started out pretty great last year, too) but it certainly looks good so far.

I really want to see Drew's homer on ESPN - the radio call said that Ichiro took two steps in, which is really shocking on a ball that had to go 420 to clear the centerfield fence.

I've seen JD hit some balls in St. Louis that were beyond belief...when he gets into one...they are gone.

m~

It's the Clash Of The Titians today: Dice-K vs. Hernandez. Should be interesting, to say the least. I have a feeling it'll wind up 2-0 for Boston. The Mariner offense is horrible right now. Imagine having Jose Vidro as you #3 hitter. :bad:

Edited by Matthew

i have no prob w/ the dodgers wearing # 42, but it will be impossible keeping track w/ everyone wearing # 42

IMHO: MLB should never had retired #42 across the board. There were players out there who took it as a great honor to wear that number. Now Robinson is safely on outfield walls all over the league. I really never liked that decision....

Interesting to me that Hank Aaron does not plan to have anything to do with any celebrations when (I hate saying "when") Bonds breaks his HR record.

Aaron won't be in attendance if Bonds breaks record

edit - for me, Hank Aaron will ALWAYS be the Home Run King. Classy gentleman through and through.

Edited by Aggie87

Interesting to me that Hank Aaron does not plan to have anything to do with any celebrations when (I hate saying "when") Bonds breaks his HR record.

Aaron won't be in attendance if Bonds breaks record

edit - for me, Hank Aaron will ALWAYS be the Home Run King. Classy gentleman through and through.

What I don't like is the way Aaron isn't coming out and saying that he doesn't believe its a legitimate breaking of his record. Everyone respects Hank and what he accomplished and maybe there are a few Barry fans who would actually take it to heart if Aaron said "I believe he used steroids, he should be banned from the game and his statistics erased from the books".