It looks to me as though hip-hop is primed to join blues, jazz, soul and funk as music that was once the music of African American youth, but has largely been taken up by middle class whites (like myself). I wouldn't worry about it, though. Every time this has happened in the past, young black musicians have ushered in another musical revolution. It's probably already begun, and we just haven't heard about it yet.

I really doubt it. I think that mass market-driven musical trends are about played out.

You mean no more raps about how big the wheels on my fucking Escalade are?

No more raps about how much of a street pimp I am?

No more raps about what a gangsta I am, even if my only true crimes have been traffic violations, or punching a dude while I have six motherfuckers looking out for me?

No more getting so un-creative that I'm sampling shit from last year?

No more fergalicious?

No more colaborations between Pharrell and...um....,well...., everybody?

Say it ain't so! ;)

Edited by catesta

You mean no more raps about how big the wheels on my fucking Escalade are?

No more raps about how much of a street pimp I am?

No more raps about what a gangsta I am, even if my only true crimes have been traffic violations, or punching a dude while I have six motherfuckers looking out for me?

No more getting so un-creative that I'm sampling shit from last year?

No more fergalicious?

No more colaborations between Pharrell and...um....,well...., everybody?

Say it ain't so! ;)

I hear ya' on that. Shit's largely played out and has become self-indulgent, self-referential, and not really speaking to the audience as directly and relevantly as it once did. People are starting to not care too much any more, and good for them. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

So, I guess it is true that rap was the new jazz...

Nah.

Rap is the new disco.

No - Rap was always the old Disco.

MG

No - House is Disco (in all its forms, good bad, and indifferent).

But half (or more) of what we think of as "disco" was actually pop music in the style of disco. Real dance music is not designed to be pop music first and dance music second.

Edited by JSngry

Well...I'm not talking dance music.

I'm talking about drone symptom music with little more value than a money maker for the record industry. It has a beat and makes people nod their heads to it, but the message is hate and sexism.

I'll shed no tear at the funeral.

Well...I'm not talking dance music.

I'm talking about drone symptom music with little more value than a money maker for the record industry. It has a beat and makes people nod their heads to it, but the message is hate and sexism.

I'll shed no tear at the funeral.

Funny. Common isn't talking hate and sexism. Neither are the Roots. OutKast has had its share of "bitch" and "ho" moments (largely from Big Boi), but the fact is that Andre Benjamin's more positive message tends to balance things out. The Goodie M.O.B. stressed a pretty postive message, over all, and Cee-Lo has turned out to be one of the greatest Soul singers of his generation. Queen Latifa had a few things to say about sexism. Not every rap record is "Straight Outta Compton" (which is, indeed, a classic of its kind).

Hip Hop is about as dead as jazz.

I always hear a lot of disco in Charli Persip's hi hat (Peckin Time esp).

Not sure if the terms of reference here are reallly wide enough to support some of the grander prognoses. Don't want to get under some of the blanket statements either - someone like MF Doom, for instance, is the equal of most of those we talk about all day on here.