Braxton 12+1tet box set preview

jasonguthartz

Both Standards 4-CD sets are still available. Two years ago, Leo said that 23 Standards was sold out. Then a bunch of them were found sitting in a warehouse.

Ah...you see? I thought I heard that somewhere. Time for me to drag these out and give them a listen again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't justify $120 bucks for this one...

I could. :D

Deep into Disc 3 now, and this music is clearly worth $120. Digging this very much. A little voice in my head keeps saying "you need the offical release", but another voice (my wife) says it not in the budget.

They could have gone the route of the recent Dave Douglas live material & released these as downloads only.

Dave Douglas's "Live at the Jazz Standard: The Full Book" can be downloaded in mp3 format from his site for $69.99. Too rich for me (although I'm sure Dave Douglas deserves it & this music is worth it). My budget issues. Now "9 Compositions (Iridium) 2006" on emusic fits even my (at present) limited budget.

• 11 months later...

Bringing this one up again to ask (again) if the DVD is available separately.

Jason, the DVD is wonderful... it really helped me understand the music better. It was very nice to see the communication on stage, and the Braxton commentary as well. Reminds me of the Braxton interview on the Leo/Coventry set -- both informative and inspirational, in a sense -- just hearing Braxton talk about his music helps me make sense of it, if that make sense!

I have the Iridium set on MP3 from EMusic, and a gracious fellow board member loaned me the DVD. Although I struggle with purchasing the entire 9-CD set (as I already have the VBR MP3's), I'd buy the DVD immediately, if available.

Plus, I gotta save my $ for the upcoming Mosaic!!! :)

Bringing this one up again to ask (again) if the DVD is available separately.

Jason, the DVD is wonderful... it really helped me understand the music better.

Glad you found it useful.

The DVD is not available separately, nor do I know of plans to issue it separately.

Perhaps if you and others who purchased the box in mp3 form were to contact the label, they might figure out a way to accomodate you. Perhaps not.

Personally, I would like the video to be available to those who purchased the mp3s, but I can understand the logistical problems involved. (And one might consider the "documentary" as an audio-visual extension of the boxset's substantial liner notes, which, as far as I know, are similarly exclusive to the boxset.) In any case, I'm confident that "friendly experiencers" can find a way -- as you have -- towards experiencing all of the material in the box. And if inaccessibility leads to the formation of new friendships, well, maybe that's an extra bonus :)