What did you hear on the radio today?

GA Russell

I'm listening now to Fresh Air, which is a program heard on public stations. They are conducting a lengthy interview with Joe Boyd, who is promoting his new book White Bicycles.

Boyd was a record producer and concert promoter in the 60s. He was a honcho when Dylan went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. He was the owner of the UFO club in London. He produced Pink Floyd's first single Arnold Layne.

Might be a book I'll want to read.

I heard Joseph Cirinione on Fresh Air talk about the Bush administrations many missteps in dealing with the threat of nuclear proliferation. Very scary.

i also heard a show on wkcr with drummer jim black hosting a show of his favorite recordings, remarkable beautifully wrought sensitive and profound pieces one will never hear anywhere else, that i would not expect to be drummers favorites. jim has a keen appreciation of beautiful vocal works, and appears to be self-effacing.

i hope to hear more of jim black and his music very soon.

If I listen to radio at all it usually just the news on npr. But this morning I needed to take my wife's car and the radio was set on the anything goes community radio station. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Abbey Lincoln singing "Driva Man" with Coleman sounding very nice as well. The next song was an electronic/noise thing that sounded like a bunch of crickets with ADD. :blink: so I tossed in a CD and went on my merry way.

Edited by (BB)

• 1 month later...

Tonight in the car I was listening to AM740 Toronto, an adult pop station, and they played Chet Baker singing There is No Greater Love.

Last month I heard an interview with Booker T. Jones of Booker T. and the MGs on Fresh Air. He made some interesting points:

His middle name is Taliaferro.

He played piano on a number of Stax songs, including Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay.

The MGs really were named after the car. The name was suggested by one of the guys in the studio who owned one. I have often read that they were not named for the car, but that MG stood for Memphis Group. I suspect that this was an effort by the record company to avoid paying the car company for the use of the name.

Today (Sunday) was the 70th anniversary of the Hindenburg crash. This morning I heard on NPR (I think the show was Weekend Edition) the tape of Herb Morrison announcing the event.

All these years, the playback of the Morrison tape has been too fast (and therefore too high). It was pitch-corrected for today's show, and Morrison sounded like a professional radio announcer, not like a geeky accountant.

• 3 weeks later...

This morning Weekend Edition closed with a feature on Michael Brecker's album Pilgrimage. They interviewed Herbie Hancock and another fellow whose name I didn't catch, except that I had never heard of him before.

Instead of talking about the music, they mostly talked about Michael's health, and how sad it is that he is now gone.