True Blue Going Out of Print List

Dig'Em

Chet Baker - Ensemble ($12.98 - sale price $9.98)

This ensemble, recorded in December 1953 at Capitol Studios, features Baker with a sax section of Herb Geller, Jack Montrose and Bob Gordon and one of the best rhythm section on the West Coast: Russ Freeman, Joe Mondragon and Shelly Manne. Montrose provide five originals and all of the ingenious arrangements. Everyone is inspired by Montrose's inventive and swinging writing and plays superbly. Originally released as an eight-tune 10" LP, enough alternate takes have emerged over the years to warrant the ensemble getting its own CD.

Bill Charlap - Stardust (Hybrid SACD) ($18.98 - sale price $15.98)

Tony Bennett (#2), Shirley Horn (#10), Jim Hall (#5) and Frank Wess (#3 & 8) are guests on this tribute to the music of Hoagy Carmichael by Bill Charlap's trio with Peter Washington on bass and Kenny Washington on drums. This hybrrd SACD was remixed in surround sound from the original multi-track tapes and is playable on all SACD and regular CD players.

Hank Mobley - The Flip ($17.98 - sale price $14.98)

On CD at last, this Mobley's second-to-last Blue Note session and it took place in Paris with Dizzy Reece, Slide Hampton, Vince Benedetti, Alby Cullaz and Philly Joe Jones. All the tunes are by Hank and highlights include the title tune and "Early Morning Stroll".

Greg Osby - St. Louis Shoes ($17.98 - sale price $14.98)

Osby puts a fresh, brilliant spin a variety of jazz standards with a quintet which includes Nicolas Peyton on trumpet, Harold O'Neal on piano, Bob Hurst on bass and Rodney Green on drums. One of his best yet.

Greg Osby - Public ($17.98 - sale price $14.98)

This live album is one of Osby's best. He performs three originals (#1,3,5) with his trio (pianist Megumi Yonezawa. bassist Robert Hurst and drummer Rodney Green)including a stunning "Equalatogram". Trumpeter Nicholas Payton is added on three jazz standards (#2,4,6)and vocalist Joan Osborne joins in for "Lover Man".

Michel Petrucciani - 100 Hearts ($12.98 - sale price $9.98)

This album, recorded in June 1983 in New York and originally issued on the George Wein Collection label, is an impressive and beautiful solo piano affair. In addition to originals and standards, Petrucciani puts his unique stamp on compositions by Ornette Coleman, Charlie Haden and Sonny Rollins. "Pot Pouri" is a medley of "Someday My Prince Will Come", "All The Things You Are", Thad Jones' "A Child Is Born" and Bill Evans' "Very Early" with inventive transitions by the pianist.

Freddie Redd - Redd's Blues ($17.98 - sale price $14.98)

Previously available only in a long-out-of-print Mosaic set, the third and final Blue Note album by the composer/pianist features the formidable front line of Jackie McLean, Tina Brooks and Benny Bailey. Redd's compositions are varied, appealing and memorable, and McLean and Brooks are two of his finest interpreters.

Elis Regina - Vento De Mao ($12.98 - sale price $9.98)

Considered the greatest female interpreter in Brazilian music, Regina, with her expressive voice, invested depth and an edge to every song she sang.

T-Bone Walker - The Best Of The Black & White/Imperial Years ($16.98 - sale price $13.98)

T-Bone Walker had it all. He pioneered the electric guitar in blues and had a clear, distinctive style that could caress a melody or rock the joint. He was a superb composer of blues and blues ballads, most notably the classic "Call It Stormy Monday". His singing voice was strong but soothing. This essential collection gathers 19 of his greatest records from the Black & White label (1946-47) and Imperial (1950-53), all beautifully transferred from the original acetates or tapes.

Johnny Guitar Watson - The Best Of The Modern Years ($16.98 - sale price $13.98)

As a guitarist, Johnny "Guitar" Watson was a profound influence on Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa and scores of bluesmen; as a singer, his imprint can be heard in the work of Etta James. Although he had a run of disco/funk hits in the '70s, his greatest work was the blues sides he cut in the '50s. His dazzling, biting guitar work and raucous vocals are a thing to behold on this collection of RPM singles and rarities.

Larry Young - Of Love And Peace ($17.98 - sale price $14.98)

With the formidable front line of Eddie Gale, James Spaulding and Herbert Morgan and power of two drummers (Wilson Moorman III and Jerry Thomas), the Coltrane of the organ explores Victor Feldman's "Seven Steps To Heaven", Morton Gould's "Pavanne" and two originals.

One Night With Blue Note (CD & DVD) ($29.98 - sale price $24.98)

The incredible February 22, 1985 Town Hall concert that relaunched Blue Note is available again. The all-star ensembles include Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams (#1-4), Kenny Burrell and Grover Washington (#6), Art Blakey with Johnny Griffin, Hubbard and Curtis Fuller (#7), McCoy Tyner, Woody Shaw, Jackie McLean and Jack DeJohnette (#9), Charles Lloyd, Michel Petrucciani, Cecil McBee and DeJohnette (#10), Jimmy Smith, Kenny Burrell, Lou Donaldson and Stanley Turrentine (#11-13) and solos by Stanley Jordan (#5), Tyner (#8) and Cecil Taylor (#14) All superbly shot and recorded. Bonus material includes galleries of Blue Note Cover Art and Francis Wolff photographs. Color. 120 minutes. The second disc is a standard audio CD with nine highlights from the concert. Both discs are packaged in one jewel box. Note: Region 1 Encoding (U.S. and Canada only); may not play in other locations. The DVD by itself will continue to be available.

Jane Bunnett - Cuban Odyssey - Spirits Of Havana (DVD) ($19.98 - sale price $15.98)

Soprano saxophonist and flutist Jane Bunnett has been working with Cuban musicians for years. A film crew followed a recent trip to Cuba to record. Spirit Of Havana follows Bunnett as she travels across the island; realizing a long-standing dream of showcasing the diversity of Cuba's rich musical legacy. This performance documentary surrounds audiences in the historic charm of Old Havana, as Bunnett reconnects with old friends and some of the city's finest musicians - such as singer Bobby Carcasses and Amado Dedeu - for a high powered recording session. Other highlights include performances with Los Munequitos de Matanzas, one of the country's oldest and most celebrated Afro-Cuban rumba groups and Desandann, a unique choir that sings in Haitian Creole. 90 min. Color. This entire program is NTSC on one side and PAL on the other, making it playable throughout the world.

LAST CHANCE ON CD

LOUIS ARMSTRONG - The California Concerts (4 CDs) (ARMSL05) $49.98

JON EARDLEY - From Hollywood To New York (EARDJ01) $15.98

DUKE ELLINGTON - Carnegie Hall Concert 1944 (2 CDs) (ELLID05) $21.98

BENNIE GREEN - Glidin' Along (GREEBI05) $15.98

TINY GRIMES - Tiny In Swingsville (GRIMT03) $15.98

MUNDELL LOWE - A Grand Night For Swinging (LOWEM01) $15.98

LYLE "SPUD" MURPHY - Gone With The Woodwinds (MURPL01) $15.98

JIMMY SMITH - Open House/Plain Talk (SMITJ05) $12.98

FATS WALLER - Low Down Papa (WALLF09) $16.98

This ensemble, recorded in December 1953 at Capitol Studios, features Baker with a sax section of Herb Geller, Jack Montrose and Bob Gordon and one of the best rhythm section on the West Coast: Russ Freeman, Joe Mondragon and Shelly Manne. Montrose provide five originals and all of the ingenious arrangements. Everyone is inspired by Montrose's inventive and swinging writing and plays superbly. Originally released as an eight-tune 10" LP, enough alternate takes have emerged over the years to warrant the ensemble getting its own CD.

Is this the set that also includes the previously unissued Bob Zieff tunes?

Is this the set that also includes the previously unissued Bob Zieff tunes?

Late, no it's not, unless I've missed something. This was my first Your Music selection. It's OK, but I'm not a fan of Montrose. If you are, it reminds me of the work he did for Clifford Brown's Pacific Jazz album.

I think the Zieff tunes are on the sextet album:

0724357996952_m.jpg

I've generally overlooked the Baker Pacifics, maybe I should pick one of these up?

That's an interesting one to pick up. . . probably won't be in print too much longer.

I like those Osby's too. Going to have to dig out "Symbols and Light" and spin it soon, my favorite.

I think the Zieff tunes are on the sextet album:

0724357996952_m.jpg

I've generally overlooked the Baker Pacifics, maybe I should pick one of these up?

That's an interesting one to pick up. . . probably won't be in print too much longer.

I like those Osby's too. Going to have to dig out "Symbols and Light" and spin it soon, my favorite.

Lon, are there any of the Baker Pacifics that stand out from the others as a good place to start?

I really like the Osby St Louis record--Nicholas Payton is outstanding, btw. I seem to like his playing much more on others' records than on his own.

Thanks guys. It's the Sextet, and not Ensemble, that has the Zieff tunes (one of which I remember simply being titled "X"). I'll have to pick it up before it too goes out-of-print.

Montg — the Baker Big Band disc on Pacific Jazz is pretty good. And, if you can actually find the earlier version, it had more tracks on it. The sound was allright too, as Malcolm Addey did the transfers. (I believe McMaster worked on the more recent version.) I like pretty much all of Baker's Pacific Jazz work, though I reach for the studio material more often than the live stuff.