Giuffre-Bley-Swallow Life of a Trio reissued

ejp626

This appears to have been reissued on Sunnyside recently: LOAT on Amazon. They document the reunion of the Giuffre Trio in 1989.

Sorry if this is old news, but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else. It isn't appearing on CD Universe. (Oops -- they are on CD Universe but listed under Paul Bley. LOAT on CD Universe)

Anyone have opinions about these? There is a positive review of both CDs on allmusic (with Sunday getting a slightly better review). I probably won't run out and get them, but it looks like something I would pick up in the next few months, as I have several of the other trio records.

agreed - after a 27 year hiatus, Owl Records arranged a reunion, only this time the sessions were released under Bley's name rather than Giuffre's - there are solos, duos, and trios with compositions by Swallow, Giuffre and Carla Bley, and lots of improvised pieces as well. I bought these when they were originally released, and they have remained among my favorite recordings ever since. Simply beautiful music - three incredible melodic improvisors in their prime.

Indeed very good! Although French Amazon shows them with a 2007 date, they've been reissued in those nice cardboard packages by Owl/Universal over here several years ago. Here are the covers:

B000N3STF2.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V46101663_.jpgB000N3STFC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V46101662_.jpg

These Sunnyside reissues are listed for just 8 euros on Amazon France - don't forget to order via big-o in case you feel like buying them!