Question re: Dave Bailey (One Foot/Two Feet in the Gutter)

neveronfriday

Well, I've got the LoneHill spinning as I type this and the sound is excellent!

Nothing sonically inferior on this reissue!

Thanks to the people recommending it here.

Dave Bailey, still alive by the way, trying to pay the bills and making a living in the Jazz world, would probably thank you for buying it from the Lonehill pirates too. <_<

Dave Bailey, still alive by the way, trying to pay the bills and making a living in the Jazz world, would probably thank you for buying it from the Lonehill pirates too. <_<

Don't go there, Kevin, or NoF will threaten to fit you for a halo, too.

Edited by Dan Gould

Don't go there, Kevin, or NoF will threaten to fit you for a halo, too.

I think we'll make that the "Holier than Though /Slash/Double Standards of the Month" Award.

There's an optional halo available.

Plenty of people eligible for the award here.

Secondly:

None of these sessions are available in my country or nearby. So, maybe you two should send a mail to Mr. Bailey telling him to get his act together and find a label willing to sell his music in my and neighboring countries? If he can't do that, it's his own fault. If he can, I'd be more than happy to buy his stuff and make him some money.

Cheers!

None of these sessions are available in my country or nearby. So, maybe you two should send a mail to Mr. Bailey telling him to get his act together and find a label willing to sell his music in my and neighboring countries? If he can't do that, it's his own fault.

Cheers!

That's one of the dumbest things anybody (including myself) has ever said on this board.

Salut!

None of these sessions are available in my country or nearby. So, maybe you two should send a mail to Mr. Bailey telling him to get his act together and find a label willing to sell his music in my and neighboring countries? If he can't do that, it's his own fault. If he can, I'd be more than happy to buy his stuff and make him some money.

Cheers!

Not only is Jim S. correct in his description of that statement, its an obvious falsehood when you came here trying to get advice to help you decide between the LEGITIMATE Evidence reissues and the ILLEGITIMATE, ILLEGAL EVERYWHERE ON EARTH Andorran Pirate reissue.

Or did you just want to bring this up so that people could rehash old arguments when you knew all along you'd buy the Lonehill?

BTW, you seemed to use Andy Bleaden's post as a reason for purchasing from Lonehill when in point of fact, he said

I would regardless of the lonehill reputation get the seperates as they are nicely produced packaged etc

what does "the separates" mean? Lonehill is offering a single, complete package. Its Evidence that offers "separate" CDs.

I'd rather buy the Lonehill discs and personally send Dave Bailey a $10 bill than pay Epic Records who still haven't even bothered to release some of this stuff 25 years after the first CDs came out.

Edited by Kyo

I'd rather buy the Lonehill discs and personally send Dave Bailey a $10 bill than pay Epic records who still haven't even bothered to release some of this stuff at all 25 years after the first CDs came out.

Which ones would those be? Maybe 5 or 6 titles? Herman Foster's "The Explosive Piano of Herman Foster" and "Have You Heard Herman", Tubby Hayes's "Introducing Tubbs", Dave Pike's "Pike's Peak" and Charlie Rouse's "Yeah!" are the only ones I had trouble finding on CD. As you can see with the links I provided, every one of them is available on LP from www.vinyl.com. They also carry Dave Bailey's "Getting Into Something". They sound good too. I own several of them.

FWIW, Dusty Groove had the Rouse and Pike dates on CD from Japan for a long time. There was also a US compilation for Charlie Rouse called "Unsung Hero" that had almost all of "Yeah!".

Which ones would those be? Maybe 5 or 6 titles? Herman Foster's "The Explosive Piano of Herman Foster" and "Have You Heard Herman", Tubby Hayes's "Introducing Tubbs", Dave Pike's "Pike's Peak" and Charlie Rouse's "Yeah!" are the only ones I had trouble finding on CD. As you can see with the links I provided, every one of them is available on LP from www.vinyl.com. They also carry Dave Bailey's "Getting Into Something". They sound good too. I own several of them.

LP is an unacceptable format for me for a number of reasons.

As I said I'm talking about CDs and if you can show me where I can get

Getting Into Something on CD outside of the Lonehill set, please do. I'm

already having a hard time tracking down a copy of Two Feet In The Gutter

(which was issued on CD at some point - although it seems only in Japan!).

Seems like One Foot... is the only readily available CD. I might be able to find a

used copy of Two Feet..., but Dave isn't going to make any money off that anyway.

Edited by Kyo

None of these sessions are available in my country or nearby.

There's a lot of things that I want that are not available for me to buy. Doesn't make it right for me to steal it.

Let's use that one then.

Let's say you want a nice piece of furniture from some known Scandinavian company that hasn't produced or distributed that piece in - say- 10 years and more. A few are available at outrageous prices around the globe, second-hand.

BUT, at the same time, every (!) single shop in both your area and your country carries a copy. Nobody has ever been sued or even publicly reprimanded for selling that copy ... neither by the law nor by the government nor by anyone else (besides some people on some forum). To add to the list, the original manufacturer has not gone on record saying he/she minds in regard to that item. Nada.

Let's then say this has been going on for years and even decades and - searching the Net - not only your real-world stores but also every single online source you frequent carries this material. It is everywhere, usually not further than three/four km away .... in every direction. We're not talking drug dealing in shady places here but open offers everywhere (!) you look ... even in the most respected places.

So, you would travel to Japan and buy the table, pay a hefty import fee and be happy? Risk getting the material caught up in customs if it cost more than 20 Euro (incl. postage)?

Cool.

I decided not to anymore, after spending I don't know how much time and money buying thousands of legit issues (and still doing that 99% of the time, btw). If I I want a recording and it is readily available (for all intents and purposes, legally) all around me for a fraction of the price at the same quality, I go for it.

Secondly, for years I pieced together sessions on legit issues, often getting material I wasn't in the least interested in to get a tune or two I was interested in. Hell, I even bought a turntable to stay legit. I have so many doubles just to get some complete sessions together that it's not funny anymore. A total waste of money and - in my eyes - a totally unacceptable business model by the labels that were entrusted with this material.

Yes, I'm tired of doing that and, as has been said elsewhere, it's my prerogative. I'm totally cool with you guys being opposed, and I've heard it in tons of threads, but I think it's completely unnecessary to say it in each and every thread. Write it up (as many have) and link to it, if you like.

Lastly, yes I was going to buy the Lonehill IF IT SOUNDED GOOD ... which was stated in this thread. That was the purpose of this thread, to find out if it sounded good. No more, and no less. Had anyone said, convincingly that it sucked, I would have dropped it. Nobody did, because it has excellent sound. That answered my question perfectly.

What I didn't ask was if I was going to rot in hell for buying a LoneHill reissue.

So, ... shall we continue?

I'm game.

We can go around and around with this and it will never get us anywhere.

Let's keep it simple and cut out all the analogies. If your conscience allows you to buy Lonehill releases, go for it. Mine does not.

I consider their product stolen goods, in many cases stolen from companies I really like and would hate to see close... like Mosaic Records. My conscience sees Lonehill and it equates them with "death of Mosaic Records". I only worry about my end. You worry about yours.

• 5 months later...

As boring as I find these debates about European PD releases, I have looked through the liner of the Lonehill Complete 2 Feet in the Gutter sessions and it is certainly implied that Bailey had some participation in getting this out there. There is a newish interview with him in the liner notes, but far more important there are 3 unreleased tracks on the 2nd CD, so they got the tapes from somebody, and I would assume that wouldn't be anybody at Epic. (Maybe the tracks are on some Japanese release, but I don't think so.) It reminds me a lot of the Graas project, also on Lonehill. There are still problems with this model (artist okaying a PD release for Europe), as Lonehill surely isn't paying all the rights holders, but it may be one we see more in the future.

Huh? Those three extra tracks are from Dave's album Reaching Out (often issued

under Grant Green's name) that has been released on CD several times.

Ok, well there goes that theory. Not the first time Lonehill has been less than forthright about these things.