most unhip aloc

alocispepraluger102

Big fan, count me in! His music can touch my mind in such strong way it's hard to describe!

Anyone heard his 1941-43 records for Parlophone, these are my favourite, as well as his "classic" MGM 1948-54 recordings... the way he created his "Shearing Sound" is unforgettable - vibraphon, electric guitar, piano, bass and drums melted in such unrepeatable way...

And also from 1941-43 - bunch of sessions with Grapelly in London... he used to play his emulation of Teddy Wilson/Art Tatum with so much personal touch...

Edited by mmilovan

The latin albums on Capitol are good, if a bit predictable after a while. The schmaltzy albums on Capitol have some great cover art! There's usually a gem or two tucked away on those.

His Capitol bossa album has woodwind arrangements by Claire Fischer which are similar in style to the Cal Tjader Contemporary music of Mexico and Brazil.

I have the MGM stuff on reissue LPs from the 50s and they are the most satisfying overall.

And I never pass up any of his solo piano albums, regardless of the year or width of his lapel.

The latin albums on Capitol are good, if a bit predictable after a while. The schmaltzy albums on Capitol have some great cover art! There's usually a gem or two tucked away on those.

His Capitol bossa album has woodwind arrangements by Claire Fischer which are similar in style to the Cal Tjader Contemporary music of Mexico and Brazil.

I have the MGM stuff on reissue LPs from the 50s and they are the most satisfying overall.

And I never pass up any of his solo piano albums, regardless of the year or width of his lapel.

3 of the more obscure gorgeous caps are concerto for my love, out of the woods, and blue chiffon.

i love his torme duo recordings. efforts like nightingale sang in.......are exceptional.

his reverance for art tatum is well known.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Must say that one of his solo Capitol albums ("The Shearing Piano", reissued in 2001 by Capitol, Capitol Jazz 7243 5 31574 2 5) was real treasure of various approaches to well known jazz standarads. Still, one title from that album "It Never Entered My Mind" caught me as very pleasant one, and intelligent by inclusion of Eric Satie touch in his playing...

Must say that one of his solo Capitol albums ("The Shearing Piano", reissued in 2001 by Capitol, Capitol Jazz 7243 5 31574 2 5) was real treasure of various approaches to well known jazz standarads. Still, one title from that album "It Never Entered My Mind" caught me as very pleasant one, and intelligent by inclusion of Eric Satie touch in his playing...

god, yes. that has been a personal favorite. check out his very brooding 'moritat' from 'grand piano,' more most moving shearing at his absolute finest,

god, yes. that has been a personal favorite. check out his very brooding 'moritat' from 'grand piano,' more most moving shearing at his absolute finest,

There is one more, that I quote as my personal favorite usually: solo/overdub of "Summertime" from his classic MGM 1949-55 days (recorded June 28, 1949) - one of the cleverest early usage of overdubbing, ever. And usage of technique and emotions as well... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled some Shearing off the shelves that I have (unordered list):

My faves:

a) The George Shearing/Cannonball Adderley Quintets at Newport (Pablo, 1957/2002). The sound isn't pristine, but Kirk Felton got the best out of the transfer. Great sessions with one tune (Soul Station) featuring the Shearing Quintett and the Adderly brothers.

b) George Shearing Quintet, On the Sunny Side of the Strip (1960), GNP/Crescendo. Nice boppish live set (I think this one was reissued on the Mosaic?).

c) George Shearing Quintet, Back to Birdland, Telarc 2001. A fantastic live set with excellent sound. It's one I often recommend to people to get and start out with.

d) Ditto with George Shearing Trio, I Hear a Rhapsody: Live at the Blue Note, Telarc 1992. Good sound, great ensemble playing (these guys are tight).

e) Although the third LP reissued on this set is NOT my cup of tea (schmaltzy strings that make my speakers first weep and then melt, although the whole setup is saved by Shearing's playing and Oersted-Pedersen on bass), George Shearing: Three Originals (Light, Airy and Swinging; Continental Experience; On Target) which reissues three sessions Shearing recorded for MPS 1973 (San Francisco), 1974 (Villingen, Germany) and 1979 (ditto, plus orchestra recorded at a studio in Wembley, England) and were engineered by Hans-Georg Brunner-Schwer (all of his stuff just sounds superb) are wonderful. That's 19 tracks of primo Shearing plus 9 tracks of schmaltz. Not a bad ratio. This one's hard to find and I bought it off someone (who scribbled his notes in the booklet :wacko: ) for 3 Euro. Best 3 Euro I ever spent.

f) George Shearing, Grand Piano, Concord 1985. Great stuff.

g) One of those rip-off Membran "Original Long Play Albums", A Jazz Date with George Shearing (tracks recorded 49-53 and taken off various albums I can't remember without checking) is not bad at all. More than decent sound, good Shearing.

Other stuff:

1) George Shearing, Duets, Concord 2002 (1980-1991) is a mixed bag. Taken from various Telarc albums from the 80s (and not limited to duets as there are trio and quartet tracks), there's great stuff here (Shearing and Hall) and pretty mediocre stuff. Great sound throughout.

2) Reflections (Best-of 1992-1998) collects the supposedly best tracks of various Telarc releases. Good to great, with various instrumentations, but altogether I'm not a fan of compilations, so ...

3) The Shearing 4-CD box "From Battersea to Broadway" (Proper) sucks. Yes, it's got lots of great material but the sound is just crap. Sorry. I'm going to start hunting around for much of this material in better sound quality, should it be available.

4) Was given the Pizzarelli/Shearing Quintet CD entitled "The Rare Delight of You" as a present. Shearing is great, but I just can't warm to Pizarelli's voice - and God knows I've tried. Hence, the CD is pretty much ruined for me.

Plus:

I have more Shearing, like the Verve Definitive comp plus about 5 or 6 other CDs, but those have gone "missing" ... meaning I lent them to someone and haven't gotten them back yet. Those 5 or 6 are all 50s and 60s material, uniformly excellent, but I can't recall the titles right now.

I also have the Shearing Nat Cole CD from Telarc but am too lazy to find it on some pile now (love that one) and a bunch of LPs that have been packed away forever (60s stuff).

Yeah, I'm a (minor) fan.

:tup

Edited by neveronfriday

• 2 months later...

Today, I went to my daily portion of listenting to "Shearing Sound", and I found one tune that really like the more I listened to. It's "In a Chinese Garden", piece played straight with not so improvisation parts.

And, what's most important, the more I listen to him the more I like everything he did.

I dig that stuff with strings, too.

Today, I went to my daily portion of listenting to "Shearing Sound", and I found one tune that really like the more I listened to. It's "In a Chinese Garden", piece played straight with not so improvisation parts.

I LOVE this piece. I have it as a 2-parter on an MGM album, "An Evening With." Unfortunately, on my copy, there are pitch issues on side 1. I think it was mastered at a slightly slower speed (based on the low notes the vibes play and the flabby drum sounds). Is this track on CD anywhere?

I LOVE this piece. I have it as a 2-parter on an MGM album, "An Evening With." Unfortunately, on my copy, there are pitch issues on side 1. I think it was mastered at a slightly slower speed (based on the low notes the vibes play and the flabby drum sounds). Is this track on CD anywhere?

I have it on Proper CD set.

Once digitized, pitch corrections of such files are piece of cake.