Betty Davis reissues

jlhoots

Light In The Attic Records is about to reissue the first 2 Betty Davis albums with bonus tracks.

If they do as good a job as they did with their Karen Dalton reissue, these will be great.

According to their description these are authorized & Betty will be receiving royalties.

Apparently she is living in Pittsburgh & is broke.

http://www.lightintheattic.net

that wasn't where you saw the Sly "Riot" article?

Nah, that article was, like, 15 years ago or so. I'm really thinking MOJO, but I don't know for sure.

Read it from start to finish in the store because it was something like $7.95, and on that day at that time at that place that was a lot of money to pay for just one article.

If I had a time machine, though....

As for WP as a whole, yeah, good, not great. But I'm used to that by now, across the board. My culling skils are by now, shall we say, "highly advanced"...

She's on the cover of the latest Wax Poetics:

waxpoetics~_issue22ap_101b.jpg

That's a great Baron Wolman photo.

Rolling Stone photographer back in the day.

Lives here in Santa Fe now. Went to a recent exhibit of his & the photos overall were quite good.

BTW (IMHO) you need both of these CDs.

Here's the well-missed Chris Albertson weighing in on the topic over at AAJ... :g

I saw her in person a couple of times--she was terrible and her act was dominated by her crude sexual gestures. I remember sitting next to Jamaica Kincaid, the Village Voice reviewer, on one occasion (at the Bottom Line). She sat through half of the first song, then demonstratively slapped her notebook shut, downed her drink, and walked out. I didn't have that option, unfortunately.

Miles was wise to surround her with real talent--her sparse talent needed that.

Here's the well-missed Chris Albertson weighing in on the topic over at AAJ... :g

I saw her in person a couple of times--she was terrible and her act was dominated by her crude sexual gestures. I remember sitting next to Jamaica Kincaid, the Village Voice reviewer, on one occasion (at the Bottom Line). She sat through half of the first song, then demonstratively slapped her notebook shut, downed her drink, and walked out. I didn't have that option, unfortunately.

Ouch.

I guess Chris didn't like her. <_<:huh:

BTW in my cursory search at AAJ, I found more that was +.

In fact I couldn't find the Albertson quote. Disclaimer: As I said, my search was not exhaustive.

Edited by jlhoots

if somebody would walk away during the first song of my performance, whatever that performance wouldb be, that person wouldn't deserve much of my respect anyway...

JB

• 3 weeks later...