Berigan is Going OOP!

where ever they are printing these box covers i hope they are getting a discount the Roy Eldridge

cover could of used a little more contrast. I'am sure the photo is a little underexposed but the whites in his

shirt is blown out which means they could have printed the image darker.

And now with photoshop this is easily fixed by using the contrast levels.......wouldn't you think

they send someone to the press run ?

Guest Bixieland

where ever they are printing these box covers i hope they are getting a discount the Roy Eldridge

cover could of used a little more contrast. I'am sure the photo is a little underexposed but the whites in his

shirt is blown out which means they could have printed the image darker.

And now with photoshop this is easily fixed by using the contrast levels.......wouldn't you think

they send someone to the press run ?

The Johnny Smith booklet cover is weak on the blacks. It's a great picture, of Johnny emerging halfway out of the darkness, but the booklet is a dark gray...pretty weak.

Except they have it in both categories. Wonder if someone made a mistake. Assuming not, it must have timed out because it only went to Running Low in mid April. It couldn't have gone that fast.

Edited by Brad

Thanks for the heads up on 'Last Chance'. The Berigan set sounds like real fun and I'm getting more and more 'fuddy duddy' as the years pass so I've gone for the set. Also thrown in a Hill Solo Select, a Blackhawk vinyl and a Slide Hampton Drum Suite to hit the limit on the shipping :D .

My Berigan has just arrived today. Set number 1930. Didn't realise I cut it so fine ! :o

I am glad I managed to resist the temptation. :)

Based on what I know of your jazz taste Yves I would say that's a good decision. From what I'm hearing on CD1 though the set is a corker - very good sound, in depth research with input by the likes of Jeff Healey and the usual authoritative booklet. An ear-opening, jazz-broadening experience for me once again courtesy of Mosaic.

NB - Quick perusal of the booklet shows a photo of Berigan with Annie Ross's aunt ! (Ella Logan)

Edited by sidewinder

Guest Bixieland

I was just going to order this today!! Damn!!

Can't argue with the law of fate! :lol:

Oh well, probably for the best. I've already got the 5disc JSP version of the same material (purchased several years ago as a "primer" for this set). I dug it, but never really got into it...until the Mosaic went "running low." Kind of forced me to look at it again.

...Berigan definitely stuck out like a knife in this setting...stiff music, with this crazy trumpet guy slicin' it up!! Enjoy!!

Edited by Bixieland

• 3 weeks later...

For information, my set was 1992 and was one of the last. It seems likely that 2000 were made and sold. I really admire the editorial quality of this box and find it a scandal that another company is believed to have ripped off the editorial concept and the mastering wholesale.