Berigan is Going OOP!

Any thoughts on this set?

I know it's a shocker, but my competely unbiased opinion is to get it....IF you like pre war small group jazz. I think I mentioned when the set came out to start on te 3rd or 4th cd if you were not familiar with Bunny...heck, why not dig up old berigan thread?????

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...&hl=berigan

Thanks Berigan, I'd forgotten there was an old thread on this one. I'm tempted on the basis of the positive comments by yourself, ghost and pryan. Trying to filter out Weizen's "More old fuddy duddy stuff.....where's the Hutcherson Mosaic ????" postings. :g

:P

Speaking of pryan......where did he disappear to? Maybe back here using a different name?

HammondCheese???? :ph34r:

I know it's a shocker, but my competely unbiased opinion is to get it....IF you like pre war small group jazz. I think I mentioned when the set came out to start on te 3rd or 4th cd if you were not familiar with Bunny...heck, why not dig up old berigan thread?????

I don't want either Berigan to ever go OOP.

:g

Thanks Berigan, I'd forgotten there was an old thread on this one. I'm tempted on the basis of the positive comments by yourself, ghost and pryan. Trying to filter out Weizen's "More old fuddy duddy stuff.....where's the Hutcherson Mosaic ????" postings. :g

:P

Speaking of pryan......where did he disappear to? Maybe back here using a different name?

HammondCheese???? :ph34r:

It's off topic here, of course, but here's the pryan story.

I don't want either Berigan to ever go OOP.

:g

Me either!

Guest Bixieland

Can anyone compare the sound of the Berigan set to the 5 disk JSP "Key Sessions" set that was released around the same time? It's the same period - same material, though the Mosaic is 7 discs and includes more alternate takes.

I picked up the JSP when it came out...sounds good...but if the Mosaic sounded a lot better it'd be worth it.

Can't decide...anyone know?

Guest Bixieland

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Shame.

I'm really disapointed to see this one running low so soon. I intended to get it one day -- BUT NOT NOW! The JSP may have to do for me. It's got everything...well except being packaged in a throwaway crapity-crap cardboard box, with junk liners and junky photos, eck. <_<

Though I love these forgotten eras of jazz...it's not quite as essential as the Bix set was to me. There's less "hot-jazz" in this set and more of what I call, the sluggish 30's recycling of what was once hot-jazz. In the 20's, during the "jazz-age," even the pop-fluff was quirky fun...everyone was bootleggin', lindy-hoppin...there's a lot of energy and innovation -- even in the non-jazz stuff.

The 30's can get a little dicey...still great, but nothing like the 20s. That spark was gone. Eventhough all the amatuers and hacks went back to their day jobs -- very little room was made available for the real pros. Everyone was so focused on following the script and getting the arrangements tight and perfect, that what actually was innovative got confined and arrived in predictable places. Bunny maybe the only thing of serious interest on this. I like the set a lot, but I don't necessarily feel "inspired" or refreshed after listening to it.

...what to do... :huh:

Though I love these forgotten eras of jazz...it's not quite as essential as the Bix set was to me. There's less "hot-jazz" in this set and more of what I call, the sluggish 30's recycling of what was once hot-jazz. In the 20's, during the "jazz-age," even the pop-fluff was quirky fun...everyone was bootleggin', lindy-hoppin...there's a lot of energy and innovation -- even in the non-jazz stuff.

The 30's can get a little dicey...still great, but nothing like the 20s. That spark was gone. Eventhough all the amatuers and hacks went back to their day jobs -- very little room was made available for the real pros. Everyone was so focused on following the script and getting the arrangements tight and perfect, that what actually was innovative got confined and arrived in predictable places. Bunny maybe the only thing of serious interest on this. I like the set a lot, but I don't necessarily feel "inspired" or refreshed after listening to it.

...what to do... :huh:

Reading this, I can tell you what to do. Clearly you've been listening to the wrong 30s (especially post-1935) jazz. :D :D

There was PLENTY of hot jazz blowing all through the 30s and clear into the 40s. And you did not have to got to the Condon mob for that at all - the SWING cats sure had their act together, and the sparks really flew ..you just have to look beyond the pop material recorded by the big bands of the day. ;) Or are you one of those who drool about any 20s Whiteman or Goldkette or Ted Lewis recording and give the ENTIRE record the highest rating just because of 12 bars by Bix or whoever? ;) Just like good old Brian Rust did - any nondescript 20s band would rate high among collectors just because of "good hot solos". Good hot solos, yeah, maybe ,but the rest? ;)

Now where would you be if you applied the same yardstick to 30s and early 40s big band recordings? There'd be a LOT of great stuff and it wasn't any more or less "confined" than 20s solos buried in otherwise stiff "dance band" recordings. :D

So please don't compare apples with oranges when you compare the different eras of jazz.

No harm meant, but it just had to be said ... :rolleyes:

Guest Bixieland

Good points. I think my comments should be applied as sweeping generalizations. For example, bad stuff was recorded during the 20s and the 30s. Hypothesizing that on average the bad 20s piece would have the edge over the bad 30s piece -- simply because the 20s had the excitement of what was new going for it.

All things being equal of course. :D

The roaring 20s was generally more hopeful, even when expressing sentiments contrary to that. That fact alone often gives art an edge and a timeless and endearing quality -- regardless of its other merits, or lack thereof. The 30s recordings where often forced to serve other purposes...innovation being one that often was not funded. Many times recordings were done expressedly to "recreate" those settings that worked so well in the 20s

But, yes, I am aware of the great innovations that happened during this time. And I do love all the pre-war stuff immensely. I think the case with the Berigan set, for me, was I was also looking for more of this edge. I'm still torn as to whether I should pick it up though.... :unsure:

:tup It is a good sign that the Berigan is already selling out. It means that JSP didn't completely destroy Mosaic's market with their quick and blatant ripoff of the set. They didn't even bother to change the track selection or ordering, but just removed the alternate takes. Edited by John L

:tup It is a good sign that the Berigan is already selling out. It means that JSP didn't completely destroy Mosaic's market with their quick and blatant ripoff of the set. They didn't even bother to change the track selection or ordering, but just removed the alternate takes.

It could also mean it "timed out". I find it difficult to believe they sold all of 'em.