What music are you thinking of buying?

BruceH

This is a companion to the "What music did you buy today" thread. Once I've bought something, I find I usually like it fine, and I'm already thinking about what I'm going to buy next. Like a lion stalking prey, the next meal is always more interesting than yesterday's. So what's in your sights? Is it something you've been wanting a long time but you're not sure about the issue, are you undecided between two or more albums, or did something you'd decided to buy suddenly disappear (that's happened to me more times than I can count.) Reasons, misgivings, pros, cons, (and Conns!)...let it all out. Share it all; it will make you feel better.

BTW, right now I'm thinking about getting some more Joe Henderson. I've been digging him more lately. But I'm also thinking I should buy Andrew Hill's "Dance With Death."

• 4 weeks later...

You'll find some real love/hate for the Pearson box, but I really like it, I really like all the titles included.

I'm thinking of getting, over the course of the year, the Tolliver Mosaic set, and some of the Transparency Sun Ra dvds.

Have recently put a strong brake on music buying.

Purchasing only a few must-have discs.

I have enough discs by now and plan to concentrate on the stuff I have acquired over the years :P

:tup this has been my thought as of late, however I still did just buy a couple of Mosaics

I have also been trying to organize the masses of discs, using the sleeves from jazzloft

saved alot of room and weight (I purchased 600 sleeves and am out)

I still want to buy much, but budgetwise I will only get a few more things this year.

The Dizzy Gillespie Mosaic almost for certain some day. When are the bargain Universals going to be selling?

The Roy Eldridge Mosaic?

I'm curious about that Jackie McLean box set of his early stuff but I'd have to find a pretty nice bargain on it.

Edited by mikelz777

A pretty exhaustive list to say the least. Good thing I have a decent paying job and a wife who realises there's no cure for my music addiction. Keeping my eye on the Mosaics:

The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of Gerald Wilson

Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Qt./Sxt. Sessions

The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions

Oliver Nelson: The Verve/Impulse Big Band Studio Sessions

Mosaic Select: Duke Pearson

Edited by Tom 1960

I'm thinking about the Bill Evans Complete Fantasy Recordings box. The one thing holding me back is the idea of going the Japan route for better sound quality. I have all the Riverside recordings in high-def format (sacd,k-2, xrcd) and I would like to do that with Evans' Riverside stuff. OTOH, I do like the sound quality of the Coltrane Prestige box, and that came out about the same time as the Evans Fantasy box. There's also the possibility of another Concord sale, and maybe I could pick up this set cheap, though there are some good prices now on Amazon for the set. So, I'm just pondering right now.

Edited by Matthew

I want that Horace Parlan Mosaic bad, but will probably wait til its running low.

I keep thinking about grabbing more OJC's as well, as well as more Impulse re-issues. Basically the stuff that may not be around much more.

Other than that, like brownie said, I've cut my music purchasing quite a bit this year. I've bought less music this year than I have in the last 10 years. I've quite enjoyed going back and just really absorbing and enjoying what I already have.

I've toyed with the idea of buying the first four or five King Crimson lps in the newest cd editions for some time. . . . But I've resisted. Don't want to start collecting KC past that. . .and fear I may be opening a can of worms!

I've toyed with the idea of buying the first four or five King Crimson lps in the newest cd editions for some time. . . . But I've resisted. Don't want to start collecting KC past that. . .and fear I may be opening a can of worms!

Trust me...YOU ARE OPENING A CAN OF WORMS! Early Crimson is addictive....

:D

P.S. - on second thought...mid Crimson, 80's Crimson & present day Crimson are ALSO addictive.

Edited by Shawn