European RVGs - no more copy protection

king ubu

good news to share (assuming it's indeed new...): in a recent sale of Blue Notes CDs over here, I picked up a couple of discs that used to be copycrap cactus things but have now obviously been pressed as regular CDs again: Cecil Taylor's "Conquistador" and Freddie Hubbard's "Blue Spirits".

It's pretty obvious that these were cc discs, since the "RVG Edition" writing inside the spine still doesn't spread on the whole length, rather there's empty/black space in the place where earlier the copy protection logo had been placed.

I remember most here thought that even after the cc was stopped over here, they'd just continue to sell those in the earlier known versions (with copy protection), rather than change back to real CDs. Seems they do change back to regular CDs now!

good news to share (assuming it's indeed new...): in a recent sale of Blue Notes CDs over here, I picked up a couple of discs that used to be copycrap cactus things but have now obviously been pressed as regular CDs again: Cecil Taylor's "Conquistador" and Freddie Hubbard's "Blue Spirits".

It's pretty obvious that these were cc discs, since the "RVG Edition" writing inside the spine still doesn't spread on the whole length, rather there's empty/black space in the place where earlier the copy protection logo had been placed.

I remember most here thought that even after the cc was stopped over here, they'd just continue to sell those in the earlier known versions (with copy protection), rather than change back to real CDs. Seems they do change back to regular CDs now!

cool!

the only bad thing is likely that the non-RVG copycraps will probably not see new pressings but rather just go OOP (for instance all the Cannonballs, his "In Europe" is one of the very best, yet I still only have the Jazzland LP from the 80s).

good news

I am not absolutely sure, but I think I might have seen Basra without cc. I'll stick with my TOCJ version, though, one of very few and one for which I paid way too much, but it was the only chance I had to get this fine album and I wouldn't miss that!

the oppressive regime of the bushists created a climate that led blue note to self-censorship, thusly repressing the release of an album titled "basra"...

and of course I assume you're aware that many of the earlier bn rvgs were released before cc was introduced and never came out in cc versions.

the only bad thing is likely that the non-RVG copycraps will probably not see new pressings but rather just go OOP (for instance all the Cannonballs, his "In Europe" is one of the very best, yet I still only have the Jazzland LP from the 80s).

What's wrong with the LP?

it scratches

nothing wrong with the LP, porcy, it's just that I'm a CD man (4 or 5 thousand, over 200 or less LPs) and I don't use my record player that often (in fact I still have it at my parents' house where I stay once a week only, but now with my new amplifier I might consider moving it finally...)

it doesn't fit

it doesn't fit

Ship it to me.

it doesn't fit

Ship it to me.

it's so big, it won't fit on a ship :g

it doesn't fit

Ship it to me.

it's so big, it won't fit on a ship :g

I suspected it :g

it doesn't fit

Thats becasue you are trying to put it in the floppy disc drive....you are making a copy so you need to insert the lp in the cd rom drive....it fits easier ( you can fold if necessary :crazy: )