amazon.com raises shipping costs

Kyo

My favorite source for hard to find music (amazon.com's marketplace) now charges $6.89 for international shipping per item (used to be $5.49).

:(

I guess they had to, now that the USPS rates have gone up...

that reminds me of something I've wondered. When something is shipped internationally, is their some monetary transfer between postal services? Or does everyone agree to deliver each other's international shipments?

My favorite source for hard to find music (amazon.com's marketplace) now charges $6.89 for international shipping per item (used to be $5.49).

that reminds me of something I've wondered. When something is shipped internationally, is their some monetary transfer between postal services? Or does everyone agree to deliver each other's international shipments?

I believe (or think I've read, anyway) that there are agreements between the various federal postal services to deliver shipments from other countries at no cost. That doesn't stop incoming packages from being charged Customs taxes and so forth, but the actual delivery is at no cost.

The latter.

I'm no expert on this, but there seems to be a system of financial compensations between countries, called "terminal dues"

http://www.upu.int/faq/en/upu_activities/w...ts_settled.html

http://www.upu.int/terminal_dues/en/index.shtml

In that case I've been misinformed.

Hah - learn something new every day.

I tend to think that CD Universe is cheaper than Amazon.com for shipping fees to Europe. The last two CDs I had from CDUniverse (April) (one package) was $8.49.

MG

I checked, on Amazon 1 cd is $6.98, and 2cd's costs $9.47 for shipping to Europe.

so CDUniverse is indeed less expensive, yes.

JB

I tend to think that CD Universe is cheaper than Amazon.com for shipping fees to Europe. The last two CDs I had from CDUniverse (April) (one package) was $8.49.

MG

I checked, on Amazon 1 cd is $6.98, and 2cd's costs $9.47 for shipping to Europe.

so CDUniverse is indeed less expensive, yes.

JB

In the end, you've got to take shipping costs into account. Amazon.fr are very heavy on the postage charges. They charged me 7.60 euro (plus VAT) for 2 CDs earlier this month - and we ain't far away - you could practically chuck them here :)

Trouble is, there are African things you can't get elsewhere (without going to Paris).

MG