Lou Donaldson - Possum Head / Signifyin'

Peter A

Groove Hut recently reissued two of Lou's albums on ARGO: Possum Head and Signifyin' (both with John Patton). Does anyone know how the sound quality is? I have both the ARGO LP's, but would consider buying the CD if it sounds OK.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Groove Hut recently reissued two of Lou's albums on ARGO: Possum Head and Signifyin' (both with John Patton). Does anyone know how the sound quality is? I have both the ARGO LP's, but would consider buying the CD if it sounds OK.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

You have the records and buying the Cd? :wacko:

What's Groove Hut? Is it legit and licensed from Universal (like Water Music), or some European boot (it hasn't been 50 years yet, so bootleg applies regardless in this context)?

Argo belongs to Universal (or did last I checked) and they haven't done shit with the catalog. If they're starting to license, that's very good news, especially with Big John on board.

Is this 2 CDs or a 2-fer? Where did you see it? I'll check the web.

Bertrand.

I have this as a two-fer (a gold one, no less) that was issued in 1992 in France by Vogue/Chess. Very nice sound, as I remember. Groove Hut, being another of those questionable labels from Spain, may have lifted it from this issue?

I believe Groove Hut is yet another label from the Andorran pirates. If I wanted a CD out of it I'd make a transfer from the vinyl, not send money to thieves. FWIW, Signifyin' had a Japanese reissue not too long ago. For some reason I think I picked up a dirt cheap copy when that outfit in PA (Red Trumpet? What was the name of that place?) had a big sale.

Makes sense to me.

In my experience, Argo pressings are pretty poor.

You are kidding :mellow:

My Argo`s are sounding really great. :) Mono! ;)

No, not kidding--every one I have has excessive surface noise, like they used cheap vinyl.

Perhaps I have just been unlucky in my purchases, but I do have at least 15 or so original pressings on LP.

Edited by kh1958

In my experience, Argo pressings are pretty poor.

Not to mention, you can't play a record in your car or transfer it to an ipod.

Exactly, you hit the hammer on the nail! That's also why I considered buying this - ralatively cheap - CD and not expensive Japanese reissues.

I think Groove Hut is indeed a sublabel of Lonehill. As Hank suggested it may have been copied from the Chess/Vogue issue. There is no mention whatsoever in the booklet about the (re)mastering.

Actually the cover of the CD looks quite nice!

51lD--CBY2L._SS500_.jpg

ive seen a chess 2fer w/ i think signif. + an oliver nelson date-- i want the double lou 2fer too---

NOW I ALWAYS PERCEIVED THESE LPS AS SCREWING BJP OVER w/ LITTLE SPACE FOR ORGAN SOLOS--- is this truly the case or does he get to take short solos-- on what % of the songs?

I think the twofer you may mean has Lou's "Rough house blues" and Oliver Nelson's "Fantabulous" coupled. It was issued as a double LP and I think I've seen it as a CD release.

The tracks on the two Pattons are mostly short, but there are a couple of long ones with some good Patton work. It's a good buy. Goodbye :)

MG