"You're Gonna Miss Me"

Kalo

Is it bad to say I've never heard of the guy?

Understandable - he is a cult figure in rock. Those 13th Floor Elevator records are slightly campy and horribly recorded, but they are also (IMO) among the best of the aggressive psych records of the 60s. The song "You're Gonna Miss Me" had to have been one of the heaviest things that had been recorded at the time.

Also, I am really surprised by how good his new band is. Nothing revolutionary, but very solid "bar rock," for lack of a better term.

Is it bad to say I've never heard of the guy?

Understandable - he is a cult figure in rock. Those 13th Floor Elevator records are slightly campy and horribly recorded, but they are also (IMO) among the best of the aggressive psych records of the 60s. The song "You're Gonna Miss Me" had to have been one of the heaviest things that had been recorded at the time.

It is a great tune, but I thought the rest of the album wasn't at the same level.

Guy

One of the bands I was in during college used to cover "You're Gonna Miss Me". Great song and a amazing vocal performance by Roky. BTW, what is the correct way of saying his first name?? Is it "Rocky" or "Row-key". I've always thought it was "Rocky" but have heard both.

One of the bands I was in during college used to cover "You're Gonna Miss Me". Great song and a amazing vocal performance by Roky. BTW, what is the correct way of saying his first name?? Is it "Rocky" or "Row-key". I've always thought it was "Rocky" but have heard both.

I've been saying it as Row-key for about 25 years. After one of his '07 shows popped up on the Dime I was talking about it with a friend who referred to him as Rocky. I just assumed I was right :rolleyes:, but after Googling around it looks like Rocky is correct.

You can call him Row-key, you can call him Rocky, whatever, he wails. :)

I suppose you can file his odd spelling with Elvis Presley's middle name Aron, which dropped the extra "a." Although that's an odd one as later on Elvis sought to change the spelling to be more "biblical," and discovered that state records (but not birth) already had his name spelled "Aaron."

His bandmates introduced him as "Rocky" when I saw him.

It's indeed pronounced "rocky", and it came from a contraction of his first and middle names - ROger KYnard Erickson.

The first Elevators album's a classic, but the second one, "Easter Everywhere", is their real masterpiece. All of the existing commercially available Elevators CDs suck, not to put too fine a point on it; there are various fan-traded needledrops from original mono and stereo LPs out there that are much better.

13thFloorElevatorsEasterEverywhere.jpg

I like quite a bit of their work. A band I was in actually did one of the songs, "Kingdom of Heaven."

I met Rocky at a party in our house probably 20 years ago now. He lived in the neighborhood then. Umm. . . spacey dude. . . did not impress me in person.

It's indeed pronounced "rocky", and it came from a contraction of his first and middle names - ROger KYnard Erickson.

The first Elevators album's a classic, but the second one, "Easter Everywhere", is their real masterpiece. All of the existing commercially available Elevators CDs suck, not to put too fine a point on it; there are various fan-traded needledrops from original mono and stereo LPs out there that are much better.

13thFloorElevatorsEasterEverywhere.jpg

That's a great record, but I haven't spun it in a long time.

I like quite a bit of their work. A band I was in actually did one of the songs, "Kingdom of Heaven."

I met Rocky at a party in our house probably 20 years ago now. He lived in the neighborhood then. Umm. . . spacey dude. . . did not impress me in person.

That would have been pretty close to the time he went through electro-shock, wouldn't it? That would explain a lot...

I had so many chances to buy those records for around $60 or $70 back when that was an unimaginable amount of money for me to spend on a record... :(

I've got some beaten up copies. It's like a personal curse, never to be able to find decent ones.

Edited by porcy62

That would have been pretty close to the time he went through electro-shock, wouldn't it? That would explain a lot...

Maybe, I don't know the chronology.

Around 1975 I found dozens of Elevators sealed,mint records in a deletion store in Stockholm at 5 kroner a pop, together with most of the rest of the International Artists albums. These were not boots and nor were they cutouts. I made a pretty good investment! not 300 bucks an album mind you, but a pretty respectable sum- financed the down payment on my first house as I recall....

Around 1975 I found dozens of Elevators sealed,mint records in a deletion store in Stockholm at 5 kroner a pop, together with most of the rest of the International Artists albums. These were not boots and nor were they cutouts. I made a pretty good investment! not 300 bucks an album mind you, but a pretty respectable sum- financed the down payment on my first house as I recall....

1975...those were great times for vinyls...and girls :g