Arise, Sir George...

sidewinder

Hopefully over the next few years they'll finally get round to giving Stan Tracey a gong. That one is well overdue.

At least Mike Westbrook has an OBE - that one needs upgrading though too.

Too many Brit artists still need the official recognition of 'services to jazz'. Michael Garrick and Graham Collier come immediately to mind.

Humph was actually born into the aristocracy - which may possibly have had an inflence on it.

Agree that he's very much worth a 'K'.

I think it's more that he hates his brother, who is or was very much a part of the establishment. He was an Ambassador or something, I think, and got a K for that. Humph is primarily anti-establishment, I think.

MG

I would hope that most people with an artistic/cultural conscience would turn down anything offered them by 'our' establishment; and - in *most* cases - be slightly alarmed at being selected in the first place.

Not to criticise Shearing - I would imagine perception of these things varies greatly amongst his generation, for example, but still...

He's also been out of the country in the US for so long that the idea of a Knighthood probably sounds pretty good. Same sort of effect on non-Brits given honourary gongs such as Gen. Al Haig (for services to the Falkland Isles), Clinton, Pinochet etc. :D

Edited by sidewinder