LF: Miles Plugged Nickel box

In keeping with my tradition of receiving jazz news in a tardy manner, I just found out this week the PN set is outta print. Hate it when that happens. :angry:

It is one of the last portions of the MD catalog I don't yet possess in my collection and had never gotten around to picking up. Anybody of you guys have one to dispose of for a decent price? I tried eBay already and they are asking for an arm and a leg along with an ear too. :(

Please PM me if you do.

Doing an archive search dug up one thread with a similar request to mine, so I know I wasn't the only one.

Thanks folks!

Edited by trane_fanatic

In keeping with my tradition of receiving jazz news in a tardy manner, I just found out this week the PN set is outta print. Hate it when that happens. :angry:

It is one of the last portions of the MD catalog I don't yet possess in my collection and had never gotten around to picking up. Anybody of you guys have one to dispose of for a decent price? I tried eBay already and they are asking for an arm and a leg along with an ear too. :(

Please PM me if you do.

Doing an archive search dug up one thread with a similar request to mine, so I know I wasn't the only one.

Thanks folks!

There's one that's being offered on this board at the moment.

PS - I don't know the seller.

Looks like the last few on Ebay have gone for about $90-$125 or so (with one lucky Buy-It-Now of $49.99), so I'd agree that $200 is on the high side.

There's one on Amazon for $49.99 too....IF you don't mind the fact that it's missing Discs 7 & 8. :lol:

I was just going to link the same thing. But frankly I do think $200 (roughly two bucks to the pound) is a bit steep.

Exactly, Jan. How are you, by the way? Haven't chatted since we found out about the Wash days. Hope all is well.

Thanks anyways, guys.

Things are pretty good. Really busy with my job, but not as busy as I was when I was in grad school, teaching and consulting all at once.

Are you still in SF? I may be back out there in a few weeks. I try to spend a few days there a year. Ran into Ying Sun a couple trips back, if you remember him. He's an attorney now.

Looks like the last few on Ebay have gone for about $90-$125 or so (with one lucky Buy-It-Now of $49.99), so I'd agree that $200 is on the high side.

There's one on Amazon for $49.99 too....IF you don't mind the fact that it's missing Discs 7 & 8. :lol:

Thanks... Hmm, I wonder if Sony Music Dist. has some Discs 7 & 8 lying around like Mosaic does with its sets sometimes. Otherwise, absolute steal. I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I was just going to link the same thing. But frankly I do think $200 (roughly two bucks to the pound) is a bit steep.

Exactly, Jan. How are you, by the way? Haven't chatted since we found out about the Wash days. Hope all is well.

Thanks anyways, guys.

Things are pretty good. Really busy with my job, but not as busy as I was when I was in grad school, teaching and consulting all at once.

Are you still in SF? I may be back out there in a few weeks. I try to spend a few days there a year. Ran into Ying Sun a couple trips back, if you remember him. He's an attorney now.

Right on, Jan. Yes, I am still in SF. Try to look me up if you're in town. I'll PM ya in a few days.

True. At the same time, there are tons of sets that were available for a long time that I never got because my financial situation sucked the whole time - the Kirk Mercury box, the Clifford Brown Emarcy box and countless Mosaics are all in that group. Fortunately I was able to get great prices on all the Miles boxes.

I'm happy to consider any offers people might have for my set. I'm not keen on eBay selling and the thing is still sitting here. For what it's worth, I did check all the online avenues I could think of before setting the price at £100 (which was cheaper than any of them by some way). It wasn't my intention to profiteer but I did pay £85 for this in a UK high street chain, so a £15 mark-up for a rare item didn't seem that unreasonable...

I'm happy to consider any offers people might have for my set. I'm not keen on eBay selling and the thing is still sitting here. For what it's worth, I did check all the online avenues I could think of before setting the price at £100 (which was cheaper than any of them by some way). It wasn't my intention to profiteer but I did pay £85 for this in a UK high street chain, so a £15 mark-up for a rare item didn't seem that unreasonable...

For those who might be interested,

£100 = about $198 or €148 at the current exchange rates.

On Thursday, one sold on Ebay for $100 on Friday, and another for $157. Then yesterday one was sold for $85.00 on a "Buy It Now".

Hopefully TF (an old HS classmate!) got one of those.

Hey, I won't disparage anyone for asking whatever price they want for something they own. But I'm also going to point it out (especially to a friend) when certain prices are over or under market. That being said, if you try hard enough you can probably find someone that will fork over $200 for the set.

On Thursday, one sold on Ebay for $100 on Friday, and another for $157. Then yesterday one was sold for $85.00 on a "Buy It Now".

Hopefully TF (an old HS classmate!) got one of those.

Hey, I won't disparage anyone for asking whatever price they want for something they own. But I'm also going to point it out (especially to a friend) when certain prices are over or under market. That being said, if you try hard enough you can probably find someone that will fork over $200 for the set.

Nope, still in the hunt. How do I keep on missing these? :blink:... and I check eBay often too.

By the way, Jan... check your PM.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I found a way dusty copy in a brick & mortar after I discovered that it was OOP. Tried ordering from Amazon, but it was cancelled.

If you go to a Borders they may be able to get stock from another location...

I was just listening to disc 7 on Sunday. You must own this set. :rhappy:

• 2 weeks later...