Where is everybody?

GA Russell

For the first time, I have logged in and found no one else here.

Where are the Europeans? :P

just took a short trip to the coffee machine, will now put on... Legends of Acid Jazz Don Patterson / Booker Ervin and am back in the game

I was born tired, I always oversleep.....

Exactly, I am so tired that I have to pay someone else to write all my posts on the forum, including this one, meantime I am sleeping.

BTW PM me if the cultural level of my posts is too low, I'll fire him...when I'll wake up...

Edited by porcy62

Who am I? Why am I here? Does anybody care? No, don't answer that...

What is a European? What are we here for? Do we even exist?

I mean, apart from physically occupying this spot to the East of America, the North of Africa, the West of Asia and mentally occupying the spot of has-been old-Empires, I don't know what this is.

Looks like I should have overslept.

Mr ex-Rip Van Winkle.

Simon Weil

Not that I'd be able to answer your deep questions, Simon, but these may help:

european toilet:

european-toilet-design.jpg

(mine doesn't look like this, though, and I'm quite sure it's a european one, too - but google can't fail, can it? it can just be paid, though...)

and a pair of european worms:

european_nightcrawlers.jpg

might be we're just a memory...

Not that I'd be able to answer your deep questions, Simon, but these may help:

european toilet:

european-toilet-design.jpg

(mine doesn't look like this, though, and I'm quite sure it's a european one, too - but google can't fail, can it? it can just be paid, though...)

Mine doesn't look like that either. I don't think we're quite there yet. Going the right way about it, though.

and a pair of european worms:

european_nightcrawlers.jpg

might be we're just a memory...

Naah. The physical fact of Europe plus all the money that's made here mean something. But I'm not sure that without some bright new ideas we're not going to end up like that.

Thanks for saying they were deep, Ubu.

Simon Weil

What's wrong with Yurpean?

What's wrong with Yurup is what's wrong with (practically) everywhere else. It's got a centre of nothing. I mean that's OK while you're making lots of money. But if that stops, you'll be in big trouble, for there's nothing to fall back on. And, even if that doesn't stop, these societies are strangely dessicated with very little really new happening in terms of culture. You just can't go on like that, IMO. Sooner or later the whole thing falls in on itself if a society doesn't renew. I can't speak for Italy, but in the UK just about everything has to be tested for market friendliness before it's produced. That is just about the most conservative concept possible and accounts for the extreme lack of new ideas (also IMO). People need to wake up to the fact that market economics is really bad for new ideas and without new ideas a society dies.

Even if it's making loads of money, it still dies. In fact there's probably a trade-off between extreme competetiveness and production of genuinely new - and thus threatening to the majority - ideas. Anything that's threatening to the majority is not going to be produced by the mega-concerns which now dominate the culture industries. For all of these are driven solely by the desire to make money.

A part the fact that I'd like move to Bay Area, that Big One scares me out of hell, I'm fine with Europe.

Btw my toilets are nicer, and the worms are good for my garden.

To say we're better than them (pick your them) does not make us fine.

Simon Weil

Edited by Simon Weil

What's wrong with Yurpean?

What's wrong with Yurup is what's wrong with (practically) everywhere else. It's got a centre of nothing. I mean that's OK while you're making lots of money. But if that stops, you'll be in big trouble, for there's nothing to fall back on. And, even if that doesn't stop, these societies are strangely dessicated with very little really new happening in terms of culture. You just can't go on like that, IMO. Sooner or later the whole thing falls in on itself if a society doesn't renew. I can't speak for Italy, but in the UK just about everything has to be tested for market friendliness before it's produced. That is just about the most conservative concept possible and accounts for the extreme lack of new ideas (also IMO). People need to wake up to the fact that market economics is really bad for new ideas and without new ideas a society dies.

Even if it's making loads of money, it still dies. In fact there's probably a trade-off between extreme competetiveness and production of genuinely new - and thus threatening to the majority - ideas. Anything that's threatening to the majority is not going to be produced by the mega-concerns which now dominate the culture industries. For all of these are driven solely by the desire to make money.

A part the fact that I'd like move to Bay Area, that Big One scares me out of hell, I'm fine with Europe.

Btw my toilets are nicer, and the worms are good for my garden.

To say we're better than them (pick your them) does not make us fine.

Simon Weil

I totally agree with you.

Just look at Italy, it lost the war, it was a destroyed country, no factories, no railways, nothing. Thanks to hard job, and Marshall's plan, now we are among the most industrialized countries in the world. we are "rich", so what? We are ageing, the best italian minds emigrate abroad, MIT, Stanford, Shangai. The hardest workers, and the richs of tomorrow, are immigrants from Bangla Desh or China. Our ruling class, politicians and economy's big boss, is the worst I remember. We are dying as country.

Frankly I am not worried, tomorrow other people of different colour or languages will be in charge over here.

Who cares?

The big question is: will be "others" better then "us"?

Will China, India or Brasil better then us?

Will they cares about enviromental, poverty, civil rights, welfare, culture, art?

I am pessimistic and I tell you why: italians were immigrants, all over the world they suffered of discrimination and racism. Well, you think that we should have learned the lesson. Not at all, we are racists and discriminate immigrants.

Edited by porcy62