When your CD goes wrong...

Van Basten II

What jostber, Chuck and HP said.

I'm not sure it's necessarily a function of the cost of the player. Long ago, I had a Revox (very sexy name, though I bought it cheap) player. The innards were made by Philips, and shared with many more "pedestrian" models. BTW, the laser on that unit crapped out after 10 years or so; a cheaper Magnavox unit that used the same Philips hardware lasted almost 20. -_-

Edited by T.D.

I'm not sure it's necessarily a function of the cost of the player. Long ago, I had a Revox (very sexy name, though I bought it cheap) player. The innards were made by Philips, and shared with many more "pedestrian" models. BTW, the laser on that unit crapped out after 10 years or so; a cheaper Magnavox unit that used the same Philips hardware lasted almost 20. -_-

I am not referring to the cost, but to the quality, that usually has a cost, though since big corporations acquired the famous brands, like Harmann Kardon with Mark Levinson, the quality falls down. The point with cd players and, more with TT, is that they have more then PCB inside them. The most usurable parts are the moving ones.

Like cd mechanics. Some serious brands improve existing mechanics in order to achieve better sound and durability. Other simply buy insertions in High End magazines.

My Denon CD player worked well for 18 years before it abruptly stopped working.

Great, I had to replace my Dae Woo fridge, made in Korea, after 6 years, but my washing machine, Miele, german built, still works great after twenty five years. Obviously the german costed twice the price, at those times, but it last three times. I regretted I spared money for the fridge, at the end I would had spent exactly the same for a Miele fridge, but I would have avoid the hassle of paying the guy of the assistance for telling me that I had to replace it, because fixin will cost almost like a new fridge.

I have an opinion about mass market: most of the stuff are conceived to last for a short time. Surely shorter then I judge, I want no problems and long lasting stuff. Life is too short for spending it in household or cars shops.

So I prefer japanese cars, german motorbike :wub: , german household appliances. Apple computers, Nokia cellphone and a small number of brands of exotic stuff in the hi fi camps.

I am not referring to the cost, but to the quality, that usually has a cost, though since big corporations acquired the famous brands, like Harmann Kardon with Mark Levinson, the quality falls down. The point with cd players and, more with TT, is that they have more then PCB inside them. The most usurable parts are the moving ones.

Like cd mechanics. Some serious brands improve existing mechanics in order to achieve better sound and durability. Other simply buy insertions in High End magazines.

It's been my experience that while the quality of sound that a CD player produces may be proportional to its cost, the same cannot be said for its ability to read some (damaged?) discs, particularly when it comes to CDRs. I think some of the "high end" things they do to the more audiophile players - I dunno, more focused lasers or something - often come at the expense of tracking ability. My default player to check otherwise unplayable discs on is a cheap CD boombox - it plays what others can't.

It's been my experience that while the quality of sound that a CD player produces may be proportional to its cost, the same cannot be said for its ability to read some (damaged?) discs, particularly when it comes to CDRs. I think some of the "high end" things they do to the more audiophile players - I dunno, more focused lasers or something - often come at the expense of tracking ability. My default player to check otherwise unplayable discs on is a cheap CD boombox - it plays what others can't.

You may be right, though the only unreadable disc for my Linn cd player was a copy protected disc that didn't fullfilled Red Book's software specifications.

BTW My latest, and only, boombox played cassettes, cd didn't exist at those times. :g

Actually, today's cd/dvd computer players usually can even read pizzas, as RDK said, but I found some problems with some very lenght cds, 70 minutes or so.