When your CD goes wrong...

Van Basten II

I have some cds although the surface looks great who have the following problems. Especially from those who have more than 70 minutes of music on them. Near the end of the of the CD, it starts to jump or blocks and stops on the same note.

I've noticed a few Proper cd doing that, also i noticed some cds of my newest Ellington boxset are suffering the same fate.

Anybody has a solution ?

Yeah, it's probably the hardware. I've had a number of lasers go bad on old CD players. A few discs don't play in the manner you described, and gradually the problem gets worse and worse.

One quick thing to try is cleaning the laser using one of those CD/DVD lens cleaner discs. That sometimes clears up skipping/tracking problems. If that doesn't work, your player may be on the long slide to oblivion... :(

How many CDs have problems on more than one player? Have these problems always existed with those discs or have they appeared progressively?

If it is clearly the CDs that are the problem, try burning copies on a PC.

Thought about it, and the problem appeared in the PC also.

Edited by Van Basten II

Side note on PC CD drives: I bought a Plextor back when I put together my office machine in 2001. The damn thing is still rockin' hard. Yeah, it's kind of slow as far as burners are concerned today (only 12X) but man, it just keeps going. I've gone through several Lite-Ons and Sonys on other machines in the time I've had that Plextor.

Regarding the disc, I would use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip the CD to your harddrive and then burn multiple safety copies. Sounds like the disc might be starting to go.

Side note on PC CD drives: I bought a Plextor back when I put together my office machine in 2001. The damn thing is still rockin' hard. Yeah, it's kind of slow as far as burners are concerned today (only 12X) but man, it just keeps going. I've gone through several Lite-Ons and Sonys on other machines in the time I've had that Plextor.

Unfortunately, Plextor has decided to exit the CD/DVD burner market.

It is often caused by a bad laser on the CD player, which has most problems with nearly full CD's(70 mins). Try to play the on a quality CD player to check if it is the disc or player.

For scratched and dirty CD's I have successfully used a CD Repair machine several times(not this one):

CD Repair

Edited by jostber

So, how many discs are causing this problem? Name labels please.

As the previous poster mentionned, it tends to happen in Cds that seem to cramp up too much music inside them. From memory, my JSP Louis Jordan set ,a few Proper set and i remember some of the cds in the complete Jazz at the Philarmonic on Verve box.

I still think it's the player(s), not the discs.

So do I, I am with Claude, check them out on one of those hig end players, the ones Chuck hates ;) .

If you have an hi end shop close to you, bring these cds with you and ask for an audition of some "serious" machines. No need to buy them and I'll have a proof.

If the cds plays well you have to do some counts. If the total value of the unreadable cds are less then the value of the high end player, replace the cds, otherwise replace the player.

Obviously you might discover that those players sound far better then your, so you might replace the cds, still thinking that, after all, those expensive stuff were a bargain, sonically speaking.

About cd burners, I noted that some of them are unable to read overloaded cds.

A similar thing happened to me, until the CD player just stopped working suddenly in the middle of a CD. I took it to a repair shop and was told that it could not be repaired. I learned that CD players do give out sometimes.

More often then you think, expecially the cheap japanese stuff, all made in China or in Taiwan. So in the long run, it might be a bargain spend more in order to have a decent player of a brand with a serious customer service. Usually they keep parts for repairing for several years after a product is dismissed.