Clarinet with E-Piano?

Niko

reading the flute with organ thread, i wondered once more whether there are any recordings which feature clarinet with electric piano? i don't know of any but to me this makes so much sense (i have actually even tried it a little myself and it seemed to work just fine) has anybody done this? there is quite some clarinet with vibraphone which i would say is vaguely related... another combination which does not make too much sense on paper to me but which would certainly interest me is organ with clarinet... has this been done? (and i principally mean "ordinary" clarinet not bass clarinet, although if you have a good idea with bass clarinet pleeasse don't hesitate to post it!)

curiously

Niko

Some of sides by the Louisiana Sugar Babes (1928) include Fats Waller on organ and Garvin Bushell on clarinet.

reading the flute with organ thread, i wondered once more whether there are any recordings which feature clarinet with electric piano? i don't know of any but to me this makes so much sense (i have actually even tried it a little myself and it seemed to work just fine) has anybody done this? there is quite some clarinet with vibraphone which i would say is vaguely related... another combination which does not make too much sense on paper to me but which would certainly interest me is organ with clarinet... has this been done? (and i principally mean "ordinary" clarinet not bass clarinet, although if you have a good idea with bass clarinet pleeasse don't hesitate to post it!)

curiously

Niko

I know you're less interested in bass clarinet-electric piano combinations, but I think there are actually more of these thanks to Bennie Maupin. The common reference point for this sound is probably Bitches Brew, but you might also want to check out Woody Shaw's Blackstone Legacy (Contemporary, 70), the Mwandishi albums of Herbie Hancock, or Maupin's own Jewel in the Lotus (ECM, 74) for some combinations.

Edited by freeform83

Guest donald petersen

shalome...billy cobham has a few albums with clarinet and keyboards (definitely "magic" and perhaps "depth of expression, simplicity of thought" or whatever it is called) "magic" is actually a pretty decent album...and clarinet really sounds great with some heavy handed fusion underneath-swooping and gliding over the top. eddie daniels "brief encounter" album also has some clarinet with electric piano and perhaps a little moogishness...there is a little cannonball adderley out there from the 70s (like the cobham, with alvin batiste) with clarinet and electric piano.

shalome...billy cobham has a few albums with clarinet and keyboards (definitely "magic" and perhaps "depth of expression, simplicity of thought" or whatever it is called) "magic" is actually a pretty decent album...and clarinet really sounds great with some heavy handed fusion underneath-swooping and gliding over the top. eddie daniels "brief encounter" album also has some clarinet with electric piano and perhaps a little moogishness...there is a little cannonball adderley out there from the 70s (like the cobham, with alvin batiste) with clarinet and electric piano.

ah, this seems to be pretty much exactly what i was asking for (alvin batiste, have heard the name, but that's all...)! thank you! Also, thanks a lot to the others! i have some Bennie Maupin sideman stuff including Blackstone Legacy but not as much as i should have, i guess, and mort weiss looks really interesting too (just read the two older threads...) [just looked up that cobham album, a collectables twofer with magic but immediately forgot the correct title again :D ]

ah, this seems to be pretty much exactly what i was asking for (alvin batiste, have heard the name, but that's all...)! thank you! Also, thanks a lot to the others! i have some Bennie Maupin sideman stuff including Blackstone Legacy but not as much as i should have, i guess, and mort weiss looks really interesting too (just read the two older threads...) [just looked up that cobham album, a collectables twofer with magic but immediately forgot the correct title again :D ]

How about clarinet wih piano accordion? Buddy DeFranco made a series of outstanding albums with accordionist Tommy Gumina in the sixties, as well as several cuts with Pete Jolly on accordion an some of his later "swing" albums on Verve in the late fifties ... The clarinet-accordion combination was quite popular with small proto-jazz groups in lounges in the early fifties. Speaking of the clarinet-vibes combination, some of DeFranco's great early recordings on the Capitol label were done with Theodore Cohen (now known as Teddy Charles), while many of his most recent recordings have been done with Julius Gubenko (Terry Gibbs).

I have all of Mort Weiss's recordings, but I am still not sure about him. I like his playing, mostly, but he clearly is still scraping off the rust of the years he spent woodshedding ... He doesn't quite make the changes at times, but I admit I find his enthusiasm refreshing, and his willingness to "give it a go ..."

Edited by garthsj

I have all of Mort Weiss's recordings, but I am still not sure about him. I like his playing, mostly, but he clearly is still scraping off the rust of the years he spent woodshedding ... He doesn't quite make the changes at times, but I admit I find his enthusiasm refreshing, and his willingness to "give it a go ..."

I agree, Garth. I really like his tone. But his playing still needs a lot of work.

Guest donald petersen

g_D cliffe of course you are correct...for some reason i am having brain dumps and all i can think of is rolf kuhn's "cucu ear" from 1980 which is cheesyish sometimes ok fusion with his bro and alphonse mouzon, etc AND g_d why did i forget this one-it's a tight album and it is a shame stupid MPS has a terrible reissue program. g_d who wouldn't buy "knirsch" on CD?

but anyway-this is a very nice record below...i have it on sketchy bootleg not really working CD i paid japanese import prices for because i am a sucker.

Rolf Kuhn (cl) Alan Skidmore (ts) John Surman (bars, ss, el-p) Joachim Kuhn (p, org) Chick Corea (el-p) Peter Warren (b) Tony Oxley (d)

Koln, West Germany, December 14 & 15, 1970

Roundhouse Rock BASF (G) CRC 008

Sad Ballade -

T.C.B. -

Going To The Rainbow -

Racing It Down -

* Rolf Kuhn - Going To The Rainbow (BASF (G) CRC 008)

g_D cliffe of course you are correct...for some reason i am having brain dumps and all i can think of is rolf kuhn's "cucu ear" from 1980 which is cheesyish sometimes ok fusion with his bro and alphonse mouzon, etc AND g_d why did i forget this one-it's a tight album and it is a shame stupid MPS has a terrible reissue program. g_d who wouldn't buy "knirsch" on CD?

but anyway-this is a very nice record below...i have it on sketchy bootleg not really working CD i paid japanese import prices for because i am a sucker.

* Rolf Kuhn - Going To The Rainbow (BASF (G) CRC 008)

actually upon reading cliffords post i remembered that contrary to my initial post i remembered cucu ear and it was horrible, so it's good to know that in principle there is something better... :)

Edited by Niko

Guest donald petersen

g_d when you quote me like that it looks like i pine for MPS to reissue cucu ear. though truthfully i do think it is not too terrible. very much of its time, though...

Guest donald petersen

i guess actually it was my own sentence structure which added to the confusion which doesn't really exist anyway.

but for the record i don't think cucu ear is a great album but i am a big fan of going to the rainbow, which is the album i wish MPS would reissue. along with a bunch of wolfgang dauner.

g_d, that site you linked to is vaguely anti-semitic.

g_d, that site you linked to is vaguely anti-semitic.

:rolleyes: it's the first hit google gives you for g_d; i don't think it's more than vaguely antisemitic, after all he believes that anyone can jump over to the good side just by changing one or two believes; it's a thoroughly american site in any case...

Guest donald petersen

dude on a scale of 1 to anti-semetic it is a solid 6. but in a funny way.

I believe it is wrong to address God as "G_d." Jewish people claim that it is their way of showing respect for God. Ironically, they don't respect God enough to come to His Son, Jesus Christ, for salvation (John 14:6). God is not impressed by our silly superstitious practices, He demands our obedience. Nothing means anything until you become a born again believer.

lol.