Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

9 hours ago, BillF said:

What a crock of horse-****. Did these bozos actually watch the same game?

He obviously lost his red card and could only find the yellow one !

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

What a crock of horse-****. Did these bozos actually watch the same game?

He obviously lost his red card and could only find the yellow one !

It seems that country loyalty is profusely coloring the recollections if this game. Rashomon, anyone?

15 hours ago, BillF said:

what i love about that article is the way Maradona, of all people, is presented as an advocate for the fair application of the rules in a WC. A marvellous use of irony by the article's author. 

Elephants and English football fans...:D

25 minutes ago, Brad said:

A quiz:

Guess the Manager

A little guesswork, but not as hard as it seems. I guessed 7 right. 

7 for me with one absolute Doh! when the answer was revealed

7 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

It seems that country loyalty is profusely coloring the recollections if this game. Rashomon, anyone?

but what else is national loyalty meant to do in a football competition? :)

Edited by mjazzg

The Colombians play a rough brand of football at times, perhaps they feel that since they are outmanbed, it’s the only way they can equal the playing field. I just remembered how they treated Neymar in 2014. It’s a bit of a shame because they played a nice game against Poland.  In retrospect, all in all, it’s probably better that England went through. 

Maradona, considering his antics of 1986, is hardly a credible source. 

This may sound strange but I think Latin Americans — and I lived there when I was growing up and was a Latin American history major — feel this one more because of their history with England. I don’t know they’d feel the same way if some other European country had beaten them. 

Edited by Brad

37 minutes ago, Brad said:

feel this one more because of their history with England

God help us, given the number of other countries we've either fought or mistreated over the centuries. Don't even mention the lead up to the Boston Tea Party please :)

17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

God help us, given the number of other countries we've either fought or mistreated over the centuries. Don't even mention the lead up to the Boston Tea Party please :)

In that case, Belgium against the Democratic Republic of the Congo would be really heated.

I don’t think it’s quite like that.  More like besting a parent or a big brother. In the 19th Century, following independence, they were economically influential. In addition, many English and Irish emigrated to countries like Uruguay and Argentina.  I used to live in Uruguay and there were some Uruguayans who had Anglo names but couldn’t speak a lick of English. 

I also think that you can’t underestimate the effect of the Falklands War, especially for Argentines like Maradona (not forgetting of course that the war was started by a military regime trying to prop itself up). 

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

I also think that you can’t underestimate the effect of the Falklands War, especially for Argentines like Maradona (not forgetting of course that the war was started by a military regime trying to prop itself up). 

and engaged in, all too enthusiastically for many of us, by an elected government trying to prop itself up.  

Thanks for the interesting insight about 19c immigration, Brad. 

Immigration into South America from Europe is little mentioned here generally, I think. One byproduct I particularly like is the Welsh influence in Argentina, especially Patagonia, being the reason why the Argentinians play rugby

Edited by mjazzg

16 hours ago, Brad said:

I don’t think it’s quite like that.  More like besting a parent or a big brother. In the 19th Century, following independence, they were economically influential. In addition, many English and Irish emigrated to countries like Uruguay and Argentina.  I used to live in Uruguay and there were some Uruguayans who had Anglo names but couldn’t speak a lick of English. 

Ah, yes, the Falklands War. That takes me back. That was when Argentina offered Maradona to Manchester United for an asking price of a million pounds plus the Isle of Man ^_^

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Ah, yes, the Falklands War. That takes me back. That was when Argentina offered Maradona to Manchester United for an asking price of a million pounds plus the Isle of Man ^_^

You mean we had an opportunity to get rid of the Isle of Man and didn't take it? :rolleyes: Something else I can blame The Thatch for now

Edited by mjazzg

19 hours ago, Brad said:

If you remember that war, maybe you also saw that cartoon circulating at the time (at least in Spanish satirical mags):

An angry flock of the MAJORITY inhabitants of the island holding up a huge sign proclaiming:

"LAS MALVINAS SON PINGÜINAS!°" :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I somewhat remember it but do remember that a lot of the Spanish speaking people I encountered in NY were pro Argentine.

Speaking of Argentina, the ref in the Uruguay France match is Argentine. I wonder what the French think.  Cavani is not starting; he’s on the bench.  I just read in The Guardian that Diego Godin, who is marking Griezmann, is godfather to Griezmann’s daughter. That should be interesting. 

Edited by Brad

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Hope he's bilingual or else his every decision will be dissected on this board :)

Honestly, Spanish and French are not quite as far removed from each other as Spanish and English are (though, as for the latter problem, I'd rather not go into the question of which language factually still is THE "lingua franca" in today's world ...).

However, if the protesting spirit seen elsewhere at this event continues then THAT pairing might raise more than a bit of protests by the French if they should decide to follow the "role model" of the Serbians (who were stupid enough to infer that the referee in the match against Switzerland was biased on grounds of nationality because "as everybody knows, part of Switzerland is a GERMAN region" - I have a hunch I know what the Swiss living in this region would have to say about THAT insinuation ... :P)

5 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

If you remember that war, maybe you also saw that cartoon circulating at the time (at least in Spanish satirical mags):

An angry flock of the MAJORITY inhabitants of the island holding up a huge sign proclaiming:

"LAS MALVINAS SON PINGÜINAS!°" :D

:tup

I also remember this one heard in Britain at the time:

"The Irish have decided to come in on our side in the Falklands War. 

Last night their planes bombed Falkirk."

Edited by BillF

I just spotted the first Uruguayan flag on a building in Costa Brava. 

There were A LOT of people on the streets of Madrid wearing Mexicam and Colombian colors before their last matches.

Catalonians don't seem to give a shit about the WC after Spain's exit, and neither do the Castillians. Getting tough to find watering holes that show the matches. I've resorted to the Irish pubs.

42 minutes ago, Brad said:

Cataluñans (at least the nationalistic ones) don’t care much for the Spanish team. 

Similar situation in Wales? You can get t-shirts there that say: I SUPPORT WHOEVER'S PLAYING AGAINST ENGLAND

More seriously, it's a pity that Britain doesn't have a national team, as seems to be the case with other countries.