Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Can't say it was the greatest game i ever saw but sure happy about the result, the first 10 minutes were kinda scary, but after that a burst of genius by Iniesta and Eto'o followed by outstanding work by the Barça nidfielders and the repeat hopes were gone for MU.

Finals never really are the greatest games, but if you didn't sit in awe of the way Barça hold on to the ball you probably will never like football. It was a lesson in the importence of possession, if you have the ball there is very little chance of the opposition doing you any damage and if you don't give it away easily there's even less chance again. United were exposed big time, they are not nearly as good as they were last year, all this "best United team ever" thing is bullshit.

Of course Barça was brilliant in terms of passing the ball,although they lacked a bit in the finishing touch department, but in terms of greatness we saw finals deliver a bit more, to have a great final imo we need some drama for that we need two teams being able to able to hurt the opponent or play at the same level. This year except for the first minutes MU was out of contention. Last year final was a fine example of a dramatic game, best example of a great final is of couse the extraordinary Liverpool-Alaves UEFA cup final that took place some years ago

I think this is why North Americans will never really "get" soccer, it's not supposed to be like a Basketball or Hockey game where 2 teams are in a race to see who can score the most, some of the most interesting/entertaining matches I have watched over the years have ended up 0-0. As long as it was only 1-0 last night, United had a chance, Barça were playing the best defence in Europe in that Final, Man U hadn't lost a game in Europe for I think 2 years. Barça didn't even have their first choice defence. United had all their squad available and just couldn't live with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta and when you see them in the Premiership every weak play badly and still beat teams, seeing them get spanked last night was really interesting.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a Liverpool fan but there is no doubt in my mind that currently Torres is one of the best center forwards in the world.

FERNANDO TORRES EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT.

fernando_torres_3_footballpictures_net.jpg

Yes, it's very good news if you're a Liverpoolf fan, I'm not so thrilled about the news that they might sign Tevez though, he's good and all that, just not what they need at the moment.

But I am thrilled that Ronaldo might not get his way after all as Madrid might not want him in the end.

Ronaldo's Real dream shattered as weary Madrid move for Bayern Munich's Ribery

I think this is why North Americans will never really "get" soccer, it's not supposed to be like a Basketball or Hockey game where 2 teams are in a race to see who can score the most, some of the most interesting/entertaining matches I have watched over the years have ended up 0-0. ...

I know what you're saying, but I think your general assumption about North Americans is incorrect. A 1-0 baseball game, or 0-0 hockey game can be highly entertaining, much more than a high-scoring game, oftentimes. People hang on the edge of their seats during a no-hitter in baseball. In either sport, the score doesn't reflect that nothing is happening. On the contrary. It takes great effort for both teams to keep the other from scoring in sports that I assume you would acknowledge are much more geared for offense -- I dare say more effort than it might in soccer, given the frequency of 0-0 contests there.

There's no walking up the ice in hockey, that's for certain -- particularly in a championship game. And deliberately shooting the puck out of bounds is a tactic that earns a penalty.

But, I don't want to make this a bash soccer thing. I've seen some great soccer matches. Even a world cup game live! (Mexico-Ireland ... not exactly an offensive display, but very exciting). I just didn't think the Barcelona-United match was (from what I saw) all that great.

I'd be happy to learn why it was though.

IMHO ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

David Villa is awesome. Great goal scoring instinct and he's a hard worker.

Agreed and he's good mates with Torres as well, he would have been perfect for Liverpool, but alas :rcry :rcry :rcry

The real reason Ronaldo went to Real (enough r's for ye)

Endorsements block a 'major factor' in Ronaldo's move to Real Madrid

How the mighty have fallen;

Agents offer Michael Owen to clubs with help of 34-page brochure

Anybody watch the Confederations Cup today? The two groups are severely misbalanced, and today's games showed that. The Iraq/South Africa match was like watching a bunch of 10 year olds play. And I was embarrassed for New Zealand, who got absolutely annihilated by Spain, who is certain to make it to the final two weeks from today. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's action...Egypt is a strong team, and while I'm not expecting them to beat Brazil, I'm hoping they at least put up a good fight. The USA/Italy game should be more fun.

Anybody watch the Confederations Cup today? The two groups are severely misbalanced, and today's games showed that. The Iraq/South Africa match was like watching a bunch of 10 year olds play. And I was embarrassed for New Zealand, who got absolutely annihilated by Spain, who is certain to make it to the final two weeks from today. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's action...Egypt is a strong team, and while I'm not expecting them to beat Brazil, I'm hoping they at least put up a good fight. The USA/Italy game should be more fun.

I didn't watch the South Africa v Iraq because I knew it would be pants but the New Zealand v Spain game was kinda entertaining, the Torres hatrick in 11 minutes was pretty good, but you couldn't really expect much more from NZ.

Well done to the USA, they just wanted it more than Spain last night, really excellent performance and a great work rate from the whole team.

Agreed, I just wish we hadn't made so many careless passes and allowed Spain to relentlessly attack us. When our young forwards (Altidore and Davies) weren't needlessly giving the ball away, our midfielders (especially Bradley and Clark) were putting two or three times the necessary weight on their through balls. I'm sure everyone on the squad was in a festive mood after that match, but if I were one of our defenders, I would have had a hard time resisting the urge to strangle somebody. ^_^

Brazil certainly looked beatable yesterday vs S.A. Somehow I doubt they're going to look that way on Sunday. Anyway, I just hope the U.S. does better when it comes to possessing the ball, and that they continue to at least create some good chances from the run of play.

Well done to the USA, they just wanted it more than Spain last night, really excellent performance and a great work rate from the whole team.

Agreed, I just wish we hadn't made so many careless passes and allowed Spain to relentlessly attack us. When our young forwards (Altidore and Davies) weren't needlessly giving the ball away, our midfielders (especially Bradley and Clark) were putting two or three times the necessary weight on their through balls. I'm sure everyone on the squad was in a festive mood after that match, but if I were one of our defenders, I would have had a hard time resisting the urge to strangle somebody. ^_^

Brazil certainly looked beatable yesterday vs S.A. Somehow I doubt they're going to look that way on Sunday. Anyway, I just hope the U.S. does better when it comes to possessing the ball, and that they continue to at least create some good chances from the run of play.

That's a good point and the thing to remember about playing a team like Spain, or indeed just playing Spain, as there are very few teams like them in the world at the moment, is that you are not going to have the ball very much anyway, no matter how good or bad you are in possesion, they are always going to have the ball more than you because everyone in that team is so skillful and so comfortable on the ball they rarely give it away.

I have always liked Clint Dempsey, I see a good bit of him as he plays for Fulham, not a star man by any means but very honest and a real team player, never gives up either.

I haven't watched Brazil at all but it should be a good final, nothing to lose for the US anyway.