Jazz versions of Rite of Spring

freeform83

I enjoy Hubert Laws' version, but really can't help but feel that it was something of a missed opportunity. For one thing, it is too polite for its own good. I wonder how a darker or a more avant-garde improvization that uses Stravinsky as its point of departure would come across (perhaps if Laws had been more in the spirit of his playing on Chick Corea's Is)?

I know that Paul Desmond quotes Stravinsky on Dave Brubeck's Jazz at Oberlin -- Rite of Spring to open his solo on "How High the Moon," and Petrushka elsewhere. What other examples of this do you know?

Bird quotes "Rite of Spring" in his solo on *Repetition* on the Jazz Scene (Verve), recorded December 1947.

Apparently, in the winter of '51, Stravinsky and party visited Birdland.

Author Alfred Appel, who was there, tells in his book "Jazz Modernism" (Knopf) 2002, how Red Rodney recognized Stravinsky as they (the quintet) walked onto the stand. He mentioned this to Bird, who did not look in S's direction but launched directly into "Koko". At the start of his second chorus he inserted the opening of Firebird Suite, causing Stravinsky to pound the table in delight, showering those around him with liquor and ice. At no point did Parker acknowledge him directly, moving seamlessly into "Bird of Paradise".

Q

Bird quotes "Rite of Spring" in his solo on *Repetition* on the Jazz Scene (Verve), recorded December 1947.

Apparently, in the winter of '51, Stravinsky and party visited Birdland.

Author Alfred Appel, who was there, tells in his book "Jazz Modernism" (Knopf) 2002, how Red Rodney recognized Stravinsky as they (the quintet) walked onto the stand. He mentioned this to Bird, who did not look in S's direction but launched directly into "Koko". At the start of his second chorus he inserted the opening of Firebird Suite, causing Stravinsky to pound the table in delight, showering those around him with liquor and ice. At no point did Parker acknowledge him directly, moving seamlessly into "Bird of Paradise".

Q

was his ebony concerto written before or after 51?

Rights of Swing by Phil Woods on the Candid label. In the liner notes Woods tells how when he was a boy there was a 78 rpm album of the Rite of Spring in his parents' record collection. He really loved the music and would often play the several 78 sides out of sequence. This childhood experience inspired the music he wrote for his Candid album.

Rights of Swing by Phil Woods on the Candid label. In the liner notes Woods tells how when he was a boy there was a 78 rpm album of the Rite of Spring in his parents' record collection. He really loved the music and would often play the several 78 sides out of sequence. This childhood experience inspired the music he wrote for his Candid album.

Is Rights of Swing considered a good album?

Is the Hubert Laws version considered a good album?

Not to be an elitist or anything, but in the spring I went through a phase of listening interest when I had played several different recordings of Rite of Spring by major classical conductors and orchestras. I then pulled out my old cassette copy of Laws' version. I found Laws' version to be nearly unlistenable, after hearing several leading classical versions.

Not to be an elitist or anything, but in the spring I went through a phase of listening interest when I had played several different recordings of Rite of Spring by major classical conductors and orchestras. I then pulled out my old cassette copy of Laws' version. I found Laws' version to be nearly unlistenable, after hearing several leading classical versions.

I wasn't asking in a sarcastic or elitist way, but out of genuine interest.

I wasn't asking in a sarcastic or elitist way, but out of genuine interest.

So am I.

I would genuinely like to find out if the musicians on the board, and those who have shown a lot of knowledge of classical music, find more merit in Laws' recording, and Woods' recording too, than I have found. I was not responding sarcastically to your post and am sorry if it came off that way.

I share your disapointment with Laws' version. But I was initially excited over the prospect, and I still think that Rite of Spring has possibilities for a jazz improvization that is closer to Stravinsky in spirit. And I have a feeling that something along those lines is out there; I just don't know about it.

I will add that the Laws' version of that famous Debussy flute piece from the same album comes off much better, albeit as a pretty straighforward classical reading.

As a side topic, has anyone heard Alice Coltrane's version of the Firebird from the early 70s. I am interested in any commentary on this.

• 4 weeks later...

Was listening to Chet Baker's Chet Is Back! (Bluebird) in the car a while back and almost drove off the road when Chet threw in a trumpet lick from the Stravinsky! At least that's what it sounded like to me. But then my wind chimes played the beginning of "Yankee Doodle" one day too....Guess I'll have to go back and find it now.

There is a minute-long quote from Rite of Spring in a Clare Fishcer big-band composition on the Pacific Jazz 'Manteca' album (can't remember the title). It has a latin beat to it.

As for Skip Martin, he's a bit stiff in places, no? Nevertheless, 'Sheherajazz' brought a smile to my face.