What's THE recommended Robert Johnson reissue?

Dmitry

Don't kick me, but I just uncovered an unforgivable oversight - I don't have anything by the Blues Legend Robert Johnson. I have only heard his music in the movies, on tv and on s on-line.

What's the recommended reissue of his catalogue? From what I was a able to gather up, the venerable and ubiquitous 1990 "Complete Recordings" 2-cd Columbia box sounds less desirable than the 1998 Sony "King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vols. 1-2"[single cds, or another box?]. I'm probably mixing things up here.

Show me the way!

Edited by Dmitry

The King of the Delta Blues Singers - Sony 65746 (1998) has by far the best sound. It's a single CD, and it's a wonderful album. I actually prefer it to the set below.

If you want the complete picture, you'll need the 1996 slip-case version of the 2CD-set The Complete Recordings - Sony 64916.

Edited by J.A.W.

I am not really an audiophile, but I couldn't stand the muffled sound on the long-box version. I was used to the LPs, which were far superior.

The new reissue of King of the Delta Blues Singers is MUCH more enjoyable than the long box, with sound surpassing the LP version.

I hope that they remaster volume 2 of King of the Delta Blues Singers as well. In fact, it is a bit curious that they haven't done it yet.