Moby Grape

Tony Pusey

hello Pasta, Edsel records in the UK have done 20 Granite Creek some years back. They also had the first album out. Evangeline records have the Legendry Grape album, which is a legit cd version of the famed cassette release.Havnt heard it, but by all accounts its a corker.

The Bob Mosely Reprise is out on Wounded Bird. Dont know of any digital version of the Fine Wine abum though....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello Pasta, Edsel records in the UK have done 20 Granite Creek some years back. They also had the first album out. Evangeline records have the Legendry Grape album, which is a legit cd version of the famed cassette release.Havnt heard it, but by all accounts its a corker.

The Bob Mosely Reprise is out on Wounded Bird. Dont know of any digital version of the Fine Wine abum though....

Just played my copy of 20 Granite Creek, which is actually on the German Line label. Did I dream about the Edsel reissue?

Anyway, Skips Chinese Song is playing, and its lovely!

Years ago I listened to the above mentioned 2cd comp just to see/hear what all the fuss was about. Much like my reaction to Love, I could hear how they could have a cult following, but it was equally eay to hear why it never went beyond that...perhaps the vnearest analogy would be Buffalo springfield who also had to much talent for one band, but I much prefer BS...since I do prefer BS to csn&y, Yardbirds to Led Zep, etc. seems like I should like bands like Moby Grape and Love more, but I don't, For What It's Worth.

I feel exactly the same way about Moby Grape and Love. I do like Moby Grape's first album--they caught a compelling mood in the studio while recording it, for me. Other than that, I just don't love their music, although I have tried. All of Love's output is the same way for me.

Another group that I want to like from that time, but just really don't, is the group with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder, the Rising Sons.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Years ago I listened to the above mentioned 2cd comp just to see/hear what all the fuss was about. Much like my reaction to Love, I could hear how they could have a cult following, but it was equally eay to hear why it never went beyond that...perhaps the vnearest analogy would be Buffalo springfield who also had to much talent for one band, but I much prefer BS...since I do prefer BS to csn&y, Yardbirds to Led Zep, etc. seems like I should like bands like Moby Grape and Love more, but I don't, For What It's Worth.

I feel exactly the same way about Moby Grape and Love. I do like Moby Grape's first album--they caught a compelling mood in the studio while recording it, for me. Other than that, I just don't love their music, although I have tried. All of Love's output is the same way for me.

Another group that I want to like from that time, but just really don't, is the group with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder, the Rising Sons.

I'm with you on Moby Grape, only the first album really does it for me, and I consider it overrated really, though certainly very good. On the other hand, I think the first five Love albums (through Out Here) are pretty wonderful, with the exception of the criminal waste of the second side of Da Capo with "Revelation". It became even clearer later on what a terrible waste that was when we got to hear all those excellent Bryan McLean demos from the period of cuts Love never recorded. Rising Sons was an early prototype for all involved, would be quite long forgotten if Mahal, Cooder, and Cassidy hadn't gone on to achieve their later high profiles. There's tons of bad prototype blues-rock stuff from the mid-sixties out there.

Edited by felser

• 3 weeks later...

I can see where you're coming from, but I think the Forever Changes album by Love is pretty damn amazing in it's way, kind of a slightly underappreciated classic, though admittedly with a notoriously long "kick-in" time.

Have to say that the only Moby Grape connected record I have any interest in hearing these days is Skip (Alexander) Spence's Oar - also reissued by Sundazed. Still have my old Columbia LP from 1969.

I was never a huge Moby Grape fan, like their first album a good bit, love "Omaha". I'm not a country rock guy (the Byrds totally lost me with 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo'). I've never gotten 'Oar' at all. Sounds to me like what I understand it to be, the semicoherent ramblings of a madman. But I know a lot of people love it.

I was just listening to this yesterday. Moments of greatness followed by moments of .....not so greatness. I like OAR a lot despite its "demo tape" production values. It kind of reminds me of Syd Barrett's two solo albums in that the performances are reminiscent of a wobbly train that is just about to run off the tracks yet somehow manages to stay on the rails. His voice takes some getting used to though.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think the Forever Changes album by Love is pretty damn amazing in it's way, kind of a slightly underappreciated classic, though admittedly with a notoriously long "kick-in" time.

Forever Changes is amazing. When you compare it to the first two records there's a hyper-space leap forward in songwriting sophistication and arrangements. "Andmoreagain" is just gorgeous. I was lucky to see Albert a few years back when he was performing the "Forever Changes" album in its entirety. He was in pretty good form the night I saw him and his back up band(Baby Lemonade?) were top notch. Outside of their first album, MG never did anything for me .

Forever Changes is amazing. When you compare it to the first two records there's a hyper-space leap forward in songwriting sophistication and arrangements. "Andmoreagain" is just gorgeous. I was lucky to see Albert a few years back when he was performing the "Forever Changes" album in its entirety. He was in pretty good form the night I saw him and his back up band(Baby Lemonade?) were top notch. Outside of their first album, MG never did anything for me .

Yeah, Albert was alright, but I preferred Love when Arthur Lee fronted them! :rolleyes:

250px-D_oh.jpg

h06225axjgg.jpg

Forever Changes: Live

This album is a pretty good chronicle of his 2001 live performance of the original.

Recommended.

Agreed, and I recommend the DVD of the same event even more strongly. It's very moving, and musically miraculous at that late date. Somehow manages to capture the magic of the original.

mn_summeroflove_152.jpg

"The brief reunion of Moby Grape - with the late Skip Spence's son, Omar, sitting in for his dad - went off well enough, but it's hard to imagine that band ever playing together again."

Complete "Summer of Love" concert review HERE

I wonder why it is hard to imagine the band ever playing together again, if it went well. Especially if there could be some money in it.

h06225axjgg.jpg

Forever Changes: Live

This album is a pretty good chronicle of his 2001 live performance of the original.

Recommended.

It never struck me as an album that would come off well live, but now you've piqued my interest.

I third the thumbs up. I had to be out of town when he brought the show to Boston, and was doubly annoyed when I heard the positive reviews from people who went. I knew this had to be a one-time event. The DVD captures it really well, and it's surprisingly strong, especially considering all the years that had passed.

mn_summeroflove_152.jpg

"The brief reunion of Moby Grape - with the late Skip Spence's son, Omar, sitting in for his dad - went off well enough, but it's hard to imagine that band ever playing together again."

I wonder why it is hard to imagine the band ever playing together again, if it went well. Especially if there could be some money in it.

I think you could infer that it DIDN'T go well. "Well enough" is not exactly a rave review. I have a friend who was there and said as much.

mn_summeroflove_152.jpg

I think you could infer that it DIDN'T go well. "Well enough" is not exactly a rave review. I have a friend who was there and said as much.

"Well enough" hasn't stopped a lot of other 60's bands from coming out of retirement. :D

mn_summeroflove_152.jpg

"Well enough" hasn't stopped a lot of other 60's bands from coming out of retirement. :D

Especially if they have only one original member, and even more so if that one original member was a very marginal member of the original group.