Secondhand LPs in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Area?

Anyone know of any good stores, records stores, thrift stores, etc.?

the selection is getting smaller and smaller these days.

In North Miami Beach, Blue Note Records still has vinyl but not nearly as much as when they opened their vinyl annex.

http://miami.citysearch.com/profile/252998...te_records.html

The other place is in Fort Lauderdale, CD Collector.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=utf-8&o...601852259282510

At the end of July, they were supposed to be opening their hugely expanded shop, with something like 2000 square feet. The store started out as a CD shop but has steadily expanded LP offerings and they got a deal from their landlord to convert the storage space behind. I haven't been there since they were supposed to open so I can't confirm just how big or extensive it is. Definitely a great selection of jazz vinyl and CDs.

CD Collector

1930 E Sunrise Blvd # B

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

(954) 762-9488

Inside the Gateway shopping center (strip mall)

I just picked up the Hamiett Bluiett clarinet LP.

I had no idea you lived down here.

Did they expand their store yet? I imagine there is at least room to flip through the jazz LPs now.

Thanks for the info. How are the thrift stores? I realize that jazz LPs rarely show up in thrift stores anymore, but oddball stuff may still show up. I'm thinking that as all those aging Miami swingers pass on to the next realm, their space age bachelor records must end up someplace...

I know nothing about Miami thrift stores, though I can tell you that I bought a super rare George Freeman - Charlie Earland LP on Ebay from a seller who told me he found it at a Miami thrift shop.

As for Fort Lauderdale, there is a Salvation Army on the same road as the CD Collector, right by I-95. I stopped there once, they had a box of 70s pop LPs, most in horrible shape. There's a Goodwill about five miles north of there, never did check it out. That one is on Oakland Park, the next exit off 95 to the north.

Well I'm glad this thread came up, it made me decide to search record stores in Palm Beach county and it turns out there is a used LP store in downtown Delray. I am definitely headed there this weekend to check it out, hopefully it will be worth my while.

Did they expand their store yet? I imagine there is at least room to flip through the jazz LPs now.

YES. The backroom has Lps. Not sure if they really have MORE LPs. Just more space. I use to find odd jazz CDs there, they don't seem to stock as much jazz now. This is one of the few places that sells NEW LPs.

Well the Delray shop is pretty much worthless. About six linear feet of jazz LPs. Nothing special, though I guess it is to their credit that there was relatively lower proportion of fusion to "classic" jazz, and the prices weren't bad.

They did have the Bobbi Humphrey BN that features Lee Morgan, one of those Blue Notes I'd never actually seen before.

Otherwise, the only thing that made me pause for a moment was a Woody Herman Sextet recording, At The Roundtable. I didn't know he'd done a small group recording with Nat Adderley and Eddie Costa. Should I have snatched it up? Condition was decent, no apparent scratches but one nickel sized spot of dirt, and it was $11.99 with their twenty percent off end of summer sale.

But like I said, pretty lame otherwise (don't even get me started on the blues selection), and it doesn't look like they are planning to expand the selection, so unless something decent walks in, I can't imagine that anything will change.

Otherwise, the only thing that made me pause for a moment was a Woody Herman Sextet recording, At The Roundtable. I didn't know he'd done a small group recording with Nat Adderley and Eddie Costa. Should I have snatched it up?

That's an OK price for the Woody Herman Roulette 'Roundtable' (should be white label with deep groove and sort of 'spoke' logo on the label). No masterpiece but its entertaining stuff nevertheless.

Otherwise, the only thing that made me pause for a moment was a Woody Herman Sextet recording, At The Roundtable. I didn't know he'd done a small group recording with Nat Adderley and Eddie Costa. Should I have snatched it up?

That's an OK price for the Woody Herman Roulette 'Roundtable' (should be white label with deep groove and sort of 'spoke' logo on the label). No masterpiece but its entertaining stuff nevertheless.

I take its not available anywhere on CD?

Not that I'm aware of.

Woody Herman Sextet - Roulette SR 25067 - "At the Round Table"

Nat Adderley, c; Woody Herman, cl, as; Eddie Costa, p, vb; Charlie Byrd, g; Bill Betts, b; Jimmy Campbell, dr.

a. The deacon and the elder 3:60 p,vb

b. Miss M 3:27 p

c. Moten swing 3:16 vb

d. Early Autumn 3:09 vb

e. Late, late show 3:36 vb

f. Swinging shepherd blues 3:21 p

Recorded February 1st, 1959, N.Y.C.

Note: Title of b. is "Princess M" on World Record Club

Equivalent issues:

Roulette R 25067

Forum FS 9016

Forum F 9016

World Record Club(E) T 323 "Woody Herman Sextet"

Roulette had a whole series of 'at the Roundtable' recordings , including Jack Teagarden , Tyree Glenn and Turk Murphy . Not surprising , since the legendarily louche owner of Roulette , Morris Levy , was the proprietor of that restaurant/nightclub . The Teagarden cover , like the Herman , featured an Arthurian suit of armor familiar to habitués of the Roundtable .

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Note was a bust. Decent selection but out of my price range.

However, I did score some gems from Radio Active, at great prices. They include:

Bob Dorough - Devil May Care - Bethlehem - 70s reissue with bad cover art

Cal Tjader- Mambo with Tjader - Fantasy - see note above

Quincy Jones - $ OST - Warner/Reprise

Zoot Sims - New Beat Bossa Nova Vol. 2 - Colpix stereo

Yma Sumac - Collection of her early Peru recordings - Coral 10"

Latin Jazz All Stars (Larry Bunker, Buddy Collette, etc.)- Jazz Heat Bongo Beat - Crown stereo - ONE OF MY ALLTIME FAVORITES!

and...

Leonard Feather presents The Sound of Feeling - Verve mono promo

I have the other Sound of Feeling album, "Spleen," on Limelight, and have been looking for this one!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Blue Note was a bust. Decent selection but out of my price range.

However, I did score some gems from Radio Active, at great prices. They include:

Bob Dorough - Devil May Care - Bethlehem - 70s reissue with bad cover art

Cal Tjader- Mambo with Tjader - Fantasy - see note above

Quincy Jones - $ OST - Warner/Reprise

Zoot Sims - New Beat Bossa Nova Vol. 2 - Colpix stereo

Yma Sumac - Collection of her early Peru recordings - Coral 10"

Latin Jazz All Stars (Larry Bunker, Buddy Collette, etc.)- Jazz Heat Bongo Beat - Crown stereo - ONE OF MY ALLTIME FAVORITES!

and...

Leonard Feather presents The Sound of Feeling - Verve mono promo

I have the other Sound of Feeling album, "Spleen," on Limelight, and have been looking for this one!

I'm glad you did well, disappointed we couldn't hook up, but most of all, I'm ecstatic you didn't grab anything that I would have wanted. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a select collection of jazz albums that I would consdier selling. Virtually all great jazz artists on older labels. Most are from the 50’s and early 60’s, some earlier. I started to make a list but I am not a collector, I don’t know how to rate them, and I haven’t played them. I'm in delray Beach, and I would like to sell them as a set. Any interest?

I have a select collection of jazz albums that I would consdier selling. Virtually all great jazz artists on older labels. Most are from the 50’s and early 60’s, some earlier. I started to make a list but I am not a collector, I don’t know how to rate them, and I haven’t played them. I'm in delray Beach, and I would like to sell them as a set. Any interest?

Without listing out what you have and what their condition is, no one here is likely to be interested. Its even less likely that anyone would want the entire set.

Do you care about what you get for them? If not, the easy thing would be to take them to Backbone Music in downtown Delray:

61 Se 4th Ave

Delray Beach, FL 33483

They are open most afternoons, they'll pay you I imagine about a dollar a piece for whatever you have, assuming the condition isn't bad.

The alternative is to sell them yourself on eBay. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the Goldmine Grading Standards and either invest some time in play-testing the records or put each under a bright light and visually inspect them. I'd recommend setting your initial price at the very lowest you would accept and see what happens.

Note: If these LPs are original 50s-early 60s pressings, are in excellent shape, and are not filled with a lot of the best known, highest selling albums of the era, they may be worth far more as individual pieces than as a set.

email me at ivanwhodunit@yahoo.com