LF Tim Buckley- Blue Afternoon and Starsailor

Just discovered that both of these have been out on cd on Rhino- I thought they were still missing in action- anybody have copies that they could do without?Amazon seem to have them at about 100 bucks apiece, but I am not going the scalper route. Pretty please?

Rhino has a great 2 CD anthology of Buckley, 'Morning Glory', which contains six of the eight cuts from 'Blue Afternoon', including all five of the really great cuts ("Happy Time","Chase The Blues Away","I Must Have Been Blind","The River" and "Blue Melody" - it also has "So Lonely"), and three of the nine cuts from 'Starsailor' (including the only listenable one, "Monterey", plus "Moulin Rouge" and "Song For the Siren"), about 150 minutes of music, great remastering, great packaging and it's available for less than $16. I love the early Buckley stuff, 'Goodbye and Hello' is probably my all-time favorite album regardless of genre, but he lost me with 'Starsailor' and never found me again. I still subscribe to the description that AMG uses for his singing on most of 'Starsailor' , that he sounds like his liver is being torn out - slowly. Nonetheless, it is "interesting", and "historically significant", but you can get the idea from the three cuts on 'Morning Glory'. 'Blue Afternoon' is a great album, but everything that made it great is on 'Morning Glory'. Do treat yourself to the European Elektra twofer of 'Tim Buckley' and 'Goodbye and Hello', with unbelievably wonderful mastering (true of that whole series, well worth replacing those USA Paul Butterfield and Judy Collins CD's also).

Thanks fellas.

I still have original mint vinyl of both albums, tho I packed away my record player a long while ago.

i agree about the European Elektra twofers, a great series- also pick up the peerless Paul Siebel albums while you are at it Felser- and yes, I may well have to go the Morning Glory route, but I still have my fingers crossed, or as we say in Sweden, I am holding my thumbs.....

'happy sad' sits alongside my most treasured albums, and is one of the most intimate recordings i have ever heard, right beside sinatra's only the lonely and where are you and king cole's where did everyone go, and schubert's last piano sonatas.

This is my favorite of his. I'm not a huge Van Morrison fan, but years ago I put Happy Sad on a cassette with Astral Weeks on the other side, and it was a great pairing.

The start of Buzzin Fly when everything just drops into place....just magic.

I would say the same for the ending of the tune.

BTW, anyone who likes the Happy/Sad album should pick up the live "Dream Letter" collection, if you haven't already. It's a live show done around the same time as Happy Sad with a similar vibe and aesthetic.

The start of Buzzin Fly when everything just drops into place....just magic.

I would say the same for the ending of the tune.

BTW, anyone who likes the Happy/Sad album should pick up the live "Dream Letter" collection, if you haven't already. It's a live show done around the same time as Happy Sad with a similar vibe and aesthetic.

I agree with the recommendation of 'Dream Letter', and also recommend 'Live at the Troubadour 1969'. And it's not either/or, you need both, they are different. Much of the same material title-wise, but the performances and length differ.

I got both "Dream Letter" and "1969 Live at the Troubador" in the early 90s, and then lost track of Tim Buckley releases.

I know there have been releases since those two; Can anyone tell us what else has come out and what we need to get?

The remaster of Tim Buckley/Goodbye and Hello, the Rhino Handmade release of outtakes, and the Morning Glory collection are the most critical ones to me. There has been some other live things which have come out, but later periodperformances, subpar sound, etc. The DVD which came out in the spring is pretty wonderful as a documentary with insightful interviews etc.(though the picture and sound of the performances are subpar), and the Dream Brother book (which I am reading right now) is excellent. 'Greetings From LA' and 'Sefronia' are pretty easy to find now.

I've heard that "Dream Brother" is more about Jeff and under-emphasizes Tim.

What ever happened to the guy who wrote some of Tim's lyrics? (forget his name offhand...)

Plenty about Tim in the book, certainly well over 100 pages. You don't know Tim Buckley the person (as opposed to Tim Buckley the musician) until you read this book, though to know him is not necessarily to love him, but it is a sympathetic portrayal towards all involved, no axes are ground. Larry Beckett was the lyric writer. They were High School friends. Beckett is also the one who introduced Buckley to avant-garde music while they were hanging out in High School.