NCAA Football 2007

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal Berzerkly and LSU lose this weekend.

Wow.

Now if the polls place Ohio State in the #1 spot on the strength of a blowout over , uh...Kent St. [who?], the BCS is hoplelessly flawed.

BCS poll

1. Ohio State

2. USF (woo-hoo!)

3. Boston College

4. LSU

5. Oklahoma

6. South Carolina

7. Kentucky

8. Arizona State

9. West Virginia

10. Oregon

Wow! Some new schools here. SEC with three, Pac 10 and Big East with two. Big Ten and Big 12 and ACC with one each.

I'm thinking this list will be completely different by the end of the year. Although, USF has a chance to win out. They do play Thursday at Rutgers. That may be dicey.

Proof positive: The BCS is a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Is A&M's coaching nightmare coming to an end finally??

Texas A&M buys out head coach Franchione

Dennis Franchione agreed to a buyout Monday from Texas A&M and is out as coach. It was not initially clear if Franchione will remain as coach through the remainder of the season.

As CBSSports.com reported two weeks ago, Franchione began speaking to school officials about his buyout.

The Aggies are 6-4 after losing to then-No. 6 Oklahoma 42-14 on Saturday.

Woohooo!!

woohoo2a.gif

Edited by Aggie87

• 2 weeks later...

it is very sad to see 2 great college quarterbacks suffer devastating injuries during the last week.

to see the oregon quarterback tear up a knee and the hawaii quarterback suffer a devastating hit to the head that would have drawn a $100,000 fine or several game suspension in the nfl is almost sickening.

i do hope these magnificent young athletes fully recover. if i see a few more injuries like this, i may just swear off watching football.

Cal Berzerkly didn't look much better.

Maybe they can land in the Weed Whacker Bowl or something. <_<

Speaking of the Weed Whacker Bowl, I heard the Kansas coach, Mangino, say he opposed a playoff system because he believed in the history and tradition of the bowl system. ... huh? ... I'd bet the number of bowls has doubled in the past 10-15 years. ... And they sell-out their names to corporations. What tradition?

Cal Berzerkly didn't look much better.

Maybe they can land in the Weed Whacker Bowl or something. <_<

Speaking of the Weed Whacker Bowl, I heard the Kansas coach, Mangino, say he opposed a playoff system because he believed in the history and tradition of the bowl system. ... huh? ... I'd bet the number of bowls has doubled in the past 10-15 years. ... And they sell-out their names to corporations. What tradition?

Rose Bowl: Pac10 vs Big Ten.

Oldest New Years Day Bowl in the history of the college game.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Yeah, there's one. How about the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl? Nokia Sugar Bowl? ... the whole thing is a scheme to milk more $$$ out of corporate sponsors. I agree the Rose Bowl has the tradition. It pretty much begins and ends there, though.

The other thing I don't care for is how they spread the big bowls out over three days now. I much preferred having all the big bowls on New Year's Day. One final blowout and it's over.

Is A&M's coaching nightmare coming to an end finally??

Texas A&M buys out head coach Franchione

Dennis Franchione agreed to a buyout Monday from Texas A&M and is out as coach. It was not initially clear if Franchione will remain as coach through the remainder of the season.

As CBSSports.com reported two weeks ago, Franchione began speaking to school officials about his buyout.

The Aggies are 6-4 after losing to then-No. 6 Oklahoma 42-14 on Saturday.

Looks like your boys are puttin' it to the 'Horns, Agg (middle of the 4th, they're up 38-24)!

If they don't blow it you might get to feel good for a minute! :g

Gad, UT sucked today. I'm sure Agg's on cloud nine right now, and rightfully so: his boys came to play today, and the Horns showed up to.... well, from the looks of it, they seemed to be completely surprised that A&M would compete with them. Colt McCoy constantly had that deer-in-a-headlight look about him. Even at the end, he had this look on his face that said, "What? I don't get the ball again to lead my team to victory?" Absolutely dreadful play on the part of UT; were it not for the kickoff-return for a TD and the 50-yard interception play, this would've been a freakin' blowout!

Congratulations Agg, your team played like they wanted it more than the Horns. Which apparently they did!

Man, this season has had more great games and shocking upsets than any I can remember.

Today, the Texas/A&M, LSU/Arkansas and (of all things) the Hawaii/Boise State games were all really fun to watch. And that Colorado/Nebraska game- what was it, 65-51? I thought it was a basketball score at first! Looks like Callahan is gone.

Tomorrow I'll be watching Kansas/Missouri and FSU/Florida.

I like that the final rankings are still up in the air at this point. Makes it interesting!

I watched the game with my brother-in-law in Austin yesterday, sort of numb to the team's ups and downs this year, and just tired of the coach.

I have to say the Aggies surprised me with their intensity - if they'd played like that all season, Franchione might still be around. I think the players must have played their hearts out, suspecting it was Fran's last game.

Nice to have a 2 game winning streak against a Texas program with better talent!

Still seems to be Tuberville, Spurrier, and Cal's Jeff Tedford as the front runners for the A&M job in the rumor mills.

PS - Ran into Double Trouble drummer Chris Layton in Waterloo yesterday!

Nice to have a 2 game winning streak against a Texas program with better talent!

Y'know, when I saw this morning that Fran had resigned, my first thought was "Pity that Mack guy didn't step down as well, and take that alleged "quarterback" with him." I totally agree that if A&M had played with that kind of intensity all year, Fran might still be around. But if Texas is the team that supposedly has the "better talent," I've yet to see it on a consistent basis all season. <_<

Texas A&M is apparently announcing the hiring of Mike Sherman as head coach, as we speak (type). He's currently the OC for the Houston Texans, but was the GB Packers coach before that.

He's never been a college head coach before, but was a OL coach at A&M a while back. Being a former NFL head coach may help A&M attract talent that Franchione wasn't able to.

Not a "sexy" hire, but still could be a good one in the long run.

I see that Georgia Tech fired Chan Gailey today too.

I still cannot wrap my mind around the concept of Missou playing West VA for all the marbles. I fully expect that at least one of them will blow it in the Conference Championship games. I'm sure whoever has got broadcast rights to the Sugar Bowl is hoping for the same, since neither of those teams will bring in a lot of fans. I'm sure they're hoping Ohio State gets a bid.

If a crazy season like this can't force the NCAA to give in on instituting a tournament, what will?

I was at the Oregon/UCLA game on Saturday. My brother and his friends did their usual great tailgating barbeque. One friend had one of those hunter's duck callers, and was making pathetic duck noises through it at Oregon fans as they walked past, then yelling "wounded Ducks, wounded Ducks!" Even they got a laugh out of it. Hideous game, amazingly the Dixon-less Ducks played worse offense than the Bruins. A win's a win! Next year my brother and his friends vowed to cook duck for the Oregon game. :)

Incredible to think the Bruins could be in the Rose Bowl with a win over the Trojans and a Sun Devils loss. A win over USC this year is more improbable than last year, but I imagine the Trojans will pummel the Bruins by three or four touchdowns.

Edited by Noj