R.I.P. Richard Cook

Tom Storer

Sad news - the Penguin guides are still my favourite books to flip around a bit... even in cases I disagree, I often enjoy reading their opinions...

I echo this sentiment.

So do I. Always great and informative reading. Also worth checking out is "Richard Cook's Jazz Encyclopedia" (Penguin) with poignant short biographies and opinions on a selection of jazz musicians.

Jazz Review continues on as strong as ever published every second month. This is really tragic news as he was (generally) so insightful.

I have valued his recommendations in the Penguin and Jazz Review for as long as they've been published. Wonder who might care to pick up his mantle...RIP

An email.....

Richard Cook 1957-2007

It's with the very deepest sadness that I have to

inform you of the passing of Richard Cook, one of the

greats of UK music journalism and arguably the finest

jazz writer this country has produced.

After the sudden recurrence of the cancer he was

diagnosed with last year, Richard died in the early

hours of Saturday August 25. I knew him well at NME in

the '80s and thought him one of its finest

contributors in that period. With Brian Morton, who

worked with him when he edited The Wire, Richard

co-authored the indispensable and incomparable Penguin

Guide To Jazz Recordings. He was also the author of a

definitive book on the Blue Note label, as well of

Richard Cook's Jazz Companion. He is survived by his

wife Lee Ellen.

We have put together a small tribute to Richard on

Rock's Backpages, at <http://www.rocksbackpages.com>

Barney Hoskyns

Editorial Director, Rock's Backpages

The Online Library of Rock & Roll

///////////////////////////////////////////

I learned more about jazz through the 1st Penguin Guide than any amount of general histories - I'm sure there are plenty like me.

Jazz Review continues on as strong as ever published every second month. This is really tragic news as he was (generally) so insightful.

I have valued his recommendations in the Penguin and Jazz Review for as long as they've been published. Wonder who might care to pick up his mantle...RIP

Hopefully the Jazz review is strong as ever. The last few issues have been very dull with not much new. Relying on tests and comments from prmoters etc doesn't make for much of a magazine. Going two monthly doesn't seem to indicate strength to me. Hope it does go on - but it has to improve imo.

Very sad news. 50 is far too young nowadays.

It has felt to me, though, that Jazz Review has been on its last legs for a while. There is quite a lot of filler, which given that it is now bi-monthly doesn't bode well now that it's editor (and founder?) has passed.

I still think it's better than Jazzwise, as it seems JR is less corporate and has more of an individual voice.

It has felt to me, though, that Jazz Review has been on its last legs for a while. There is quite a lot of filler, which given that it is now bi-monthly doesn't bode well now that it's editor (and founder?) has passed.

I still think it's better than Jazzwise, as it seems JR is less corporate and has more of an individual voice.

Don't get me wrong - I also prefer it to Jazzwise and I subscribe to both. Unfortunately I just don't think that the future is too rosy for JR - they seem to be struggling to fill the magazine. The line spacing can be ridiculous and some of the articles are a bit ropey. The one about music/data storage took the biscuit.

Jazz Review has become a favourite of mine over time - some very good recent career appraisal articles on the likes of Dick Morrissey, Harold McNair and John Dankworth which would never see the light of day I think in 'Jazzwise'. I'd agree though that some of the articles (such as the ones on 'hi fi' as previously mentioned) are irrelevant at best though - it seems to aspire to something like the old 'Jazz Monthly' of the 1960s but without the critical mass of content required. Still, I enjoy reading it.

Agreed. 'Jazzwise' is worth the reads but comes across too much as a 'style' mag at times - and lacking a critical voice. Sort of an 'Hello' magazine for the jazz punters. Having said that, I also quite enjoy it and usually pick up a copy.

Edited by sidewinder

Agreed. 'Jazzwise' is worth the reads but comes across too much as a 'style' mag at times - and lacking a critical voice. Sort of an 'Hello' magazine for the jazz punters. Having said that, I also quite enjoy it and usually pick up a copy.

My thoughts entirely, I subscribe to both but enjoy Jazz Review more.